Opening Bank Account in Pattaya on tourist visa - Which Bank?

bbi1

Most banks are now difficult to deal with, some only want to see a work permit , others want to see a 1 year visa.  

Tourist visas was accepted in several Kasikorn branches 2 years ago. Kasikorn Big C Extra is popular among expats so you could try there first. 

Also Bangkok bank inside Big C S-Pattaya, near Sukhumvit. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, balo said:

Most banks are now difficult to deal with, some only want to see a work permit , others want to see a 1 year visa.  

Tourist visas was accepted in several Kasikorn branches 2 years ago. Kasikorn Big C Extra is popular among expats so you could try there first. 

Also Bangkok bank inside Big C S-Pattaya, near Sukhumvit. 

Already got a K-Bank account in BKK but will be moving to Pattaya, therefore looking to open up a new account with a new bank in Pattaya. Do people usually recommend going to the original K-Bank BKK branch and asking them to change my main branch to be in Pattaya to save on fees? I already have a K-Bank visa debit card issued in BKK.

Edited by bbi1

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Already got a K-Bank account in BKK but will be moving to Pattaya,

Then there should be no problems. I also had a BKK account before I moved to Pattaya.  Just bring your bank book and all the necessary documents. 

Just now, balo said:

Then there should be no problems. I also had a BKK account before I moved to Pattaya.  Just bring your bank book and all the necessary documents. 

Do you mean that it would be ok to keep the BKK K-Bank account and then open up a new Pattaya K-Bank one, so there's two accounts?

There are like 1000 posts on this issue.  Everybody I know says the main office of Bangkok Bank is the one to use. 

I don't think there are any posts pointing out a problem with using the main branch of the Bangkok Bank but 999 pointing out problems with all of the other banks. 

• Like 1

Just now, marcusarelus said:

There are like 1000 posts on this issue.  Everybody I know says the main office of Bangkok Bank is the one to use. 

I don't think there are any posts pointing out a problem with using the main branch of the Bangkok Bank but 999 pointing out problems with all of the other banks. 

Where's the main office branch of Bangkok Bank in Pattaya?

48 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I believe 2nd road near top of soi 6 but check to make sure. 

That's the one and about 10 years ago, they let me open an account on a visa-exempt entry. Then again, I had just come in from the UK with £10k to deposit.

1 hour ago, balo said:

Already having an account in the same bank in another city or province is no guarantee that the new account opening will be allowed. I have read on another forum how seniors, some accompanied by their Thai spouses have been denied despite having had an account for many years already. There's still plenty of pedants working to rule in branches of the same bank and the OP may still have to shop around if denied.

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

if you have an address (TM30 receipt will do) Krungsri will open one for you.

Which branch specifically?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

That's the one and about 10 years ago, they let me open an account on a visa-exempt entry. Then again, I had just come in from the UK with £10k to deposit.

Already having an account in the same bank in another city or province is no guarantee that the new account opening will be allowed. I have read on another forum how seniors, some accompanied by their Thai spouses have been denied despite having had an account for many years already. There's still plenty of pedants working to rule in branches of the same bank and the OP may still have to shop around if denied.

Which branch specifically?

Emquartier in BKK unfortunately. But I'm told they are all the same.

A problem could be that many banks in Pattaya ask for a Certificate of Residence from Jomtien Immigration, and it seems that Jomtien stopped to deliver such documents a few weeks ago... :unsure:

Any update on the situation welcomed :smile:

11 hours ago, bbi1 said:

... Do people usually recommend going to the original K-Bank BKK branch and asking them to change my main branch to be in Pattaya to save on fees? I already have a K-Bank visa debit card issued in BKK.

If you manage to open an account in Pattaya, you can use online Banking to move funds around between BKK-Pattaya to avoid fees, otherwise if you use your BKK debit cards in Pattaya every time you'll get hit with fees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

If you manage to open an account in Pattaya, you can use online Banking to move funds around between BKK-Pattaya to avoid fees, otherwise if you use your BKK debit cards in Pattaya every time you'll get hit with fees. 

Does K-Bank charge you fees if you make a deposit in Pattaya while having your main branch being in BKK? And what about internet banking, if your main branch is in BKK and you transfer to another K-Bank with a branch in Pattaya?

16 hours ago, Kim J said:

I would try and get the account transferred.

It used to be the case when opening a new account you had to get a certificate of residence from immigration. I am led to believe that is no longer possible on a tourist visa, maybe worth asking that question at immigration.

Tried to get the account transferred from bkk sukhumvit area. They told me it can't be done. They said I can open up a new account in Pattaya, then said a work permit is needed to open it! What the hell? The account I originally opened with them was when I had an ED visa!!

Edited by bbi1

16 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Do you mean that it would be ok to keep the BKK K-Bank account and then open up a new Pattaya K-Bank one, so there's two accounts?

That's what I did.  I have 5 accounts with Kasikorn. When I lived in Chiang Mai I opened up another account , and I have 2 in Bangkok and 2 in Pattaya.

I use online banking and transfer between the accounts to avoid fees. Of course all this was set up 2-3 years ago and it's a lot harder to open accounts these days. 

Edited by balo

5 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Does K-Bank charge you fees if you make a deposit in Pattaya while having your main branch being in BKK?

No fees but if your lucky to get an account they will try to sell you an insurance . I guess you have no choice today.

I complained and told them I just wanted an ordinary savings account and did not pay any fees, minimum deposit is 500 baht . 

Make sure you are asking to open a SAVINGS account and not a Chequing account, and aren't asking for a Credit Card or Internet Banking (unless you have a long term Visa like a Non-O or Non-B for example).

From my experience, Bangkok Bank had no problem opening a SAVINGS account, even if you only had a 30 Day stamp in your passport (and had more than a week of time remaining), so long as you had a Certificate of Residence.

I highly doubt ANY bank - anywhere - will open an account for someone who doesn't have an address (or claims to be living in a hotel room or other such accommodation). :glare:

As well, from experience, they will NOT open a Chequing account unless you have a work permit (and proper Visa). They aren't that stupid (though there apparently is no end to the number of foreigners that keep hoping they'll be able to open a Chequing account, cash a bunch of bad cheques and then hop on a plane back home before anyone finds out).
(And people wonder why the banks want a verified address or proof that someone is actually working in country before handing them a book of blank cheques.)

Also, I've been told they will not issue credit cards unless you have a Work Permit (and proper Visa) - pretty much for the same reasons. (Though you can get "pre-paid" cards as well as the normal ATM/Debit card.)

At Bangkok Bank - they will give you Internet Banking if you have a "1 year visa" but not if you only have tourist Visas or 30 Days stamps - regardless of how much you have on deposit. (Though some claim they got Internet banking while only having a Tourist visa. It could happen, but I wouldn't expect it.)

I never had a problem with the bank transferring my account to a different branch. Most branches are happy to do that as then your "assets" are on their ledgers (which makes that manager look more successful). I've even had tellers move to different branches and then try to get me to move my accounts there so that they would look more successful.

And just like Immigration - if you go there looking like a slob that just crawled out from under a bar stool and hasn't showered in a week, don't expect that they are going to lay out the red carpet and give you the VIP treatment just because you want to open and account and deposit 500 baht in it.

(Yes, I have seem people that looked, and smelled, like that in banks and Immigration, many times.)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Unfortunately I think they have all tightened up on procedure and it is no longer so straightforward.

Can't argue with the tightening up on procedures, Kim J.  But you'll always get lucky one way or another once the stars have aligned.  

14 hours ago, Kim J said:

I quoted earlier in the thread that I am led to believe they are no longer available to holders of tourist visas, but those with 12 month visas can still get them I understand.

I got a residence certificate just last week on an METV but I had to politely put up a fight to get it so they are definately making it more difficult. 

It was for a purchase of a motorbike and they demanded to see a contract. As it was a private sale this was impossible. After going back and forth and again politely standing my ground, they deemed me worthy. 

• Like 2

Let me see if I am understanding this topic. If I live in Bangkok and have a bank account at Bangkok bank. Then decide to move to another city, let's say Ratchaburi, I will have to open a new Bangkok Bank bank account? I am think about when I have to update my bank book to visa purposes. 

8 minutes ago, TXsmile said:

Let me see if I am understanding this topic. If I live in Bangkok and have a bank account at Bangkok bank. Then decide to move to another city, let's say Ratchaburi, I will have to open a new Bangkok Bank bank account? I am think about when I have to update my bank book to visa purposes. 

Depends if you want to pay a fee for ATM withdrawals.  Unless I'm mistaken withdrawals cost money unless done at your own bank branch.

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

you are mistaken. I've had a Bangkok Bank account for 2 years now

Do you pay a fee for ATM withdrawals at other branches of Bangkok bank? I thought there was a fee.  Could be wrong haven't checked my bank book in a while.

Edited by marcusarelus

14 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Does K-Bank charge you fees if you make a deposit in Pattaya while having your main branch being in BKK? And what about internet banking, if your main branch is in BKK and you transfer to another K-Bank with a branch in Pattaya?

You must have Pattaya accounts to not get charged fees even for deposit.

If you only have Bangkok acccounts, when you make a deposit in Pattaya to that account you'll be charged the 20 baht per 10,000 or what ever they're charging now.

If you have Pattaya account, there's no fee, and you can use online banking to transfer between your own accounts for free. 

1 hour ago, TXsmile said:

I am think about when I have to update my bank book to visa purposes. 

Bangkok Bank only allow account holders bank books to be renewed at the account holding branch. Updating the bank book can be done at any branch, anywhere.

• Thanks 1