Jomtien Immigration asked me for 10,000 Baht for change from Marriage to Retirement Extension

As said there is no TM86 for change from marriage to retirement - you use the same entry non immigrant O visa originally issued by Consulate.  You are not changing visa - only the reason for extension of stay.

But did you perhaps start without a non immigrant O visa and get it issued from immigration on basis of marriage?  That is the only way I can imagine there might be a question.

• Like 1

Just now, lopburi3 said:

As said there is no TM86 for change from marriage to retirement - you use the same entry non immigrant O visa originally issued by Consulate.  You are not changing visa - only the reason for extension of stay.

But did you perhaps start without a non immigrant O visa and get it issued from immigration on basis of marriage?  That is the only way I can imagine there might be a question.

No - started from homecountry with Non-O

• Like 1

The IO was trying to extort money from you.

If you entered the country with a non ‘O’ visa there is no reason why you can’t change the reason for your extension of stay to retirement at the annual renewal. Although, unless you are divorcing, I don’t see why you need/want to change.

You certainly don’t need form TM.86, just TM.7.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, orchis said:

not surprised. visas issued by agents ('with no money in the bank') are usually processed through jomtien immigration. i have seen 'retirement visas' from people living in chiangmai, bkk and koh tao; all issued by jomtien immigration through an agent.

The Retirement desk at that location will at least process legit-applications in-person, though.  Non-O stamps from them are nearly impossible.  Marriage-based is possible but difficult, even if a condo-owner, and can be impossible if renting.

The use of that office for retirement-extensions of living elsewhere is primarily due to lower-cost agent-offers for retirement - as that desk seems to be prioritizing agent-application volume, over a per-each premium price. 

But due to efforts by local offices (CM won't accept TM-28s, to allow 90-day reporting, for example), more applicants are having to pay higher-cost agents submitting to their local area offices, instead.  "Fake Address" 90-day reports (submitted by agents as part of the package) are also being frowned-upon, due to security concerns.  This may result in reduced volume, though the cancellation of embassy-letters will probably offset that - driving many of those former in-person applicants to agents.

At least Chiangmai do it via agents, have not heard of anyone paying direct to officers recently?

I have twice been asked for money but some years ago, 6000 for extension of stay (retirement) from Non O 16 years ago! And 500 to 200 to 100 for a "lost" 90 day report letter 6 years ago (I think). First one was paid as did not know any better at the time. Second time ended with a smile on both sides and no money changing hands. ????

Some may call it corruption while I look at it more like paying for a special/expedited service. Please don't start attacking me, ok. I look at it the same as when I buy a business class ticket and you go thru the business class check-in lounge where you're waited on one-on-one at check-in and then provided with an executive lounge pass. It's really up to me whether I want to pay extra for that service or just buy an economy class ticket and run with the herd. For me, it's the same as buying the Thai Elite Privilege Visa and getting those special benefits. When I first came, I was planning to pay an agent to help with my initial 90-day & 1-yr extension because I prefer "easy" and am willing to pay for convenience. But, I was referred to an IO officer by a friend. I met with the IO officer and within 15 minutes I was out of there. She took care of everything for me; my initial 90-day & 1-yr extension both at the same time, good for 15 mths. I just had to come back about 2 wks later when she call to pick up my passport with all the stamps (no waiting in line). I paid a total of 20k (2,000 for 90-day, 1,900 for extension, 3,800 for multiple re-entry permit and 12,300 for the IO special service). I was very happy to be able to get it done that easy. The following year, I checked back with her and she said no need this time, just take my paperwork to the window and they would do it for the normal fees only (1,900 & 3,800). So, you can call it corruption, but I prefer to look at it as a special service rather than paying outside agents who basically do the same and cost more. And, at the time I did think was a special service and I would happily do it again and every year if it makes my life in retirement a little easier.

With kind regards...

Edited by JohnnyBD
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1