Hints about buying a wheelchair in Thailand

scorecard

Need to start some research about buying a wheelchair here in Thailand, any information, advice, experiences, shops, things to avoid, prices very much appreciated. Don't need to buy tomorrow but will be needed within about 6 months because of fast deteriorating serious lower back problem. (Please folks I'm not interested in surgery etc.)

Some relevant background / wish list:

- Prefer to buy here in Chiang Mai but Bkk also well possible.

- Western man, 6ft, 108 KG. (So I realize the chair needs to be a bit 'heavy duty)

- folding (hopefully down a small size)

- Lightweight

- Seat padding, back rest etc., easy to clean.

- With brakes

- Don't want motorised.

- Do want model with big wheels (2ft seems to be common), plus smaller fitted 'wheel' so the sitting occupant can move the chair along. just did some googling and found several companies / models with wheel for self propulsion designed differently:

image.png.a3b18beb003f507e270569b0dd792df2.png

Perhaps this makes it easier to get a non slip grip, but not sure if it's important.

All comments, suggestions, warnings, important additional features I haven't listed  etc., much appreciated. 

Thanks.

Scorecard have a look at Lazada, they have a very large selection.

I find Soma wheelchairs first class, i am on my second 1, not because of poor craftsmanship, but because of the use/ abuse they get from me feeding livestock, working my veg plots, many times my wife has had to come on the garden and pull me out.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Scorecard have a look at Lazada, they have a very large selection.

I find Soma wheelchairs first class, i am on my second 1, not because of poor craftsmanship, but because of the use/ abuse they get from me feeding livestock, working my veg plots, many times my wife has had to come on the garden and pull me out.

Thank you, I just looked and quite a variety, and prices reasonable compared to what I was expecting.

Most if not all say '100K' but i'm guessing 108K wouldn't 'break the bank'.

When you bought was delivery fairly quick?

Thanks again.

If you venture down to Bangkok in the near future, try some of the Japanese superstores.
These stores have an amazing variety of aids and equipment for the elderly, the less abled and anyone requiring assistance.
The engineering involved with both wheelchairs and pushchairs is incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, TommyTucker said:

If you venture down to Bangkok in the near future, try some of the Japanese superstores.
These stores have an amazing variety of aids and equipment for the elderly, the less abled and anyone requiring assistance.
The engineering involved with both wheelchairs and pushchairs is incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks, could you please share a couple of names of these stores.

Much appreciated.

Thanks, could you please share a couple of names of these stores.

Much appreciated.

Whilst shopping in Central Chidlom on Friday I discovered this range of chairs.

IMG_4931.JPG
IMG_4932.JPGIMG_4933.JPG
IMG_4934.JPG

The Japanese stores are Isetan inside Centralworld and Takashimaya inside the latest amazing mall called ICONSIAM

Enjoy life, whilst you can!

Only two of these chairs are suitable for someone who wants to self-propel. My friend found much more of a range on Lazada.  

I am sure Mr Scorecard is grateful for your comment.

As I stated earlier, I happened to see these whilst walking around Central Chidlom. These are not the wheelchairs I have previously seen in Isetan, but I thought they might be of interest to Mr Scorecard and other Members.

In my humble opinion it is always better to try a product before purchasing one. As Mr Scorecard is coming to Bangkok in January the more versions he tries, the better opinion he can form.

Once he has actually tried the many different versions on offer in Bangkok, he can then check prices and other models on the internet, if he so desires.

1 hour ago, TommyTucker said:

I am sure Mr Scorecard is grateful for your comment.

As I stated earlier, I happened to see these whilst walking around Central Chidlom. These are not the wheelchairs I have previously seen in Isetan, but I thought they might be of interest to Mr Scorecard and other Members.

In my humble opinion it is always better to try a product before purchasing one. As Mr Scorecard is coming to Bangkok in January the more versions he tries, the better opinion he can form.

Once he has actually tried the many different versions on offer in Bangkok, he can then check prices and other models on the internet, if he so desires.

1. Yes that is my plan, check many then make a decision and I don't need it tomorrow. 

2. Yes Lazada Thai does have quite some range, i've looked at many models and learning many things: 

- Width of seat available.

- Different heights of the chair back.

- Brakes easy to access by helper but not by occupant.  Brakes easy to access by helper and by occupant.  

- Some can fold down 2 times, as opposed to 1 time ,and fit into not all that big zipper bag. 

- Overall weight of the wheelchair: heaviest i've noticed 17.8K, lightest 9.5K.

- Total weight carrying capacity: some at 95K, many at 100K, a few at 130K.

- Breath and not breath seat pad / backrest. Washable / not mentioned.

- Size of wheels (22 in, 24 in (24 inch seems to be the common size) and more). Different quality of wheel bearings.

- Smooth stainless steel / plastic with hand grip bumps, on the wheel for the occupant to self propel the chair.

- Carry bag fitted / no carry bag. Carry bag inaccessible to the occupant / accessible.

- The foot rests: metal and easy to slip / heavy plastic and non slip. Some have raised lip on the back of the footrest to prevent foot slipping off the back of the rest.

When I was on the Lazada Thai site yesterday suddenly It flipped to the Lazada Malaysia site and they have an even bigger range and very good pricing (+ transport to CM of course, but probably not that expensive if using a standard transport provider or even the post office.) But it's possible I might be going to to a company reunion in KL in January, so maybe kill 2 birds with one stone.

Again, thanks for lots of valuable information and comments.

A different point. I recently asked several airlines whether they charge to carry passengers own wheelchair. Response:

- Air-Asia. It can be free if total weight of the chair plus check-in suitcase / bag is under the paid for check-in allowance. If total kilos is over then subject to normal excess baggage fees. This was a phone inquiry.

- Lion Air, spoke to the supervisor at Don Muang check-in, she explained the full policy and it's exactly same as AA, but she quickly added they generally don't charge at all, but better to mention the chair when you book on line so they can be ready to have someone assigned to take the chair when you enter the aircraft cabin and then take it straight down to the cargo area of the aircraft and also to have tags already prepared. 

- Also spoke to the Thai Inter booking counter staff inside CM airport. First they said they didn't know. After I said that they must know their policy one this one of the ladies said 'just use the wheelchair provided by Thai'. I mentioned 'but how do I get to check-in and what do I use whilst i'm visiting another location for a few days?' They all looked blank, I walked away.

AFAIK all airlines will allow free transport of passenger wheelchair in the cabin if it is non-motorized, checked in if it has a battery.

The need should be indicated at time of reservation. Most airline websites have a "special needs" section for this.

I recently assisted a paraplegic woman flying air asia r/t from Phnom Penh to Bangkok. Very easy.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If CM is anything like Phuket don't buy locally. Go to BKK. My first chair cost a ridiculous amount at a local distributor, but the second, identical chair, bought by a friend in Bkk and posted down, cost less than a 1/3 of the first.

I am also fairly large and normal Thai chairs (virtually all are Chinese made) are generally unsuitable. Worth checking, but I've found Lazada doesn't have a good range for larger users.

All chairs have brakes on the wheels, and unless you are completely incapacitated you don't need to pay for brakes on the handles. Also easier to get a foam cushion than pay extra for built in padding. They generally fold in the middle. Removable foot rests make it easier to maneuver indoors.

My last chair was bought from a pharmacy, but distributed by Triple Y Trading Company in Bangers.

Cost was between 6-7000, postage to Phuket cheap. 

This one:

chai.JPG

Archived