Video: Road sweeper in ICU after she is hit in the street by hit and run motorcycle with sidecar

webfact

Video: Road sweeper in ICU after she is hit in the street by hit and run motorcycle with sidecar

SuratTHani.jpg

Picture: Sanook

CCTV footage from Surat Thani earlier today showed the shocking moment a 58 year old municipal road sweeper was hit by a motorcycle with sidecar.

The rider of the bike fled the scene as members of the public came to the aid of the victim. 

Malee had been sweeping by the side of Talat Mai Road when she was hit. 

Some people online have claimed that the attack looks deliberate. 

She is in hospital ICU with head trauma and severe injuries to her stomach.

Pol Col Suphasan Sukkaew of the Muang police said the incident was caught on CCTV belonging to Panthip (1970) Co Ltd. 

When he arrived at the scene shortly after 6.30 am the victim had already been taken to hospital. There was a broom and bloodstains on the road. 

The hunt is on for the hit and run driver. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-23

After watching the video twice, it almost looks like the man on the motorcycle DELIBERATELY hit the woman.  She was in plain view, in a well lit area, and unless the driver was somehow totally distracted, he had to have see her.  After hitting her, then he pulls out into the middle of the road.  Something is not right.  It doesn't look like a simple "accident" to me. 

3 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

After watching the video twice, it almost looks like the man on the motorcycle DELIBERATELY hit the woman.  She was in plain view, in a well lit area, and unless the driver was somehow totally distracted, he had to have see her.  After hitting her, then he pulls out into the middle of the road.  Something is not right.  It doesn't look like a simple "accident" to me. 

You must not have driven much in Thailand then. The amount of incompetence combined with a deadly combination of fatalism, selfishness, and ignorance make for basically the deadliest roads in the world.

While there is a small possibility that this was a deliberate act, in my mind there’s an equal possibility that the sidecar driver just figured it was karma.

33 minutes ago, Hank Gunn said:

You must not have driven much in Thailand then. The amount of incompetence combined with a deadly combination of fatalism, selfishness, and ignorance make for basically the deadliest roads in the world.

While there is a small possibility that this was a deliberate act, in my mind there’s an equal possibility that the sidecar driver just figured it was karma.

I've been living in Chiang Mai for the past 10 years.  For the last 8 of those years I have taken bike trips every other month on my CBR 250, 300cc Forza and CBf 300 all over the north, northeast and central regions of Thailand for a week or so at a time. I am well aware of the road dangers here, from crazy drivers to a water buffalo suddenly darting out into the middle of the road. 

When I'm one of the bikes, doing a trip, or just going into town, I know I have to be constantly aware of my surroundings and other drivers, whether they are on bikes, in cars or trucks, reminding myself they are all idiots out to try and kill me. 

In that time I've had one minor accident, only a couple of kilometers from my house, when a guy in a semi suddenly slammed on his brakes and made a sharp left turn into some business, forcing me from the bike lane into the ditch at 60kph.  Some minor scratches to the bike, but otherwise, no damage.

Instead of you making the erroneous assumption that I don't have much experience riding in Thailand, you might, more intelligently, asked how much experience I have.  I would be willing to bet it's a hell of a lot more than you have. But, I could be wrong. 

24 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I've been living in Chiang Mai for the past 10 years.  For the last 8 of those years I have taken bike trips every other month on my CBR 250, 300cc Forza and CBf 300 all over the north, northeast and central regions of Thailand for a week or so at a time. I am well aware of the road dangers here, from crazy drivers to a water buffalo suddenly darting out into the middle of the road. 

When I'm one of the bikes, doing a trip, or just going into town, I know I have to be constantly aware of my surroundings and other drivers, whether they are on bikes, in cars or trucks, reminding myself they are all idiots out to try and kill me. 

In that time I've had one minor accident, only a couple of kilometers from my house, when a guy in a semi suddenly slammed on his brakes and made a sharp left turn into some business, forcing me from the bike lane into the ditch at 60kph.  Some minor scratches to the bike, but otherwise, no damage.

Instead of you making the erroneous assumption that I don't have much experience riding in Thailand, you might, more intelligently, asked how much experience I have.  I would be willing to bet it's a hell of a lot more than you have. But, I could be wrong. 

Indeed you do have much more road/driving experience here in Thailand than I do. Probably ren times as much. That part of my comment was merely hyperbolic and meant to dispute the possibility of this incident being intentional; a bit of sarcasm meant to emphasize my point rather than directly denigrate your actual experiences.

Having viewed the video a second time I didn’t see a swerve into the unfortunate victim. I see a typical example of a certain type of Thai driver here in Thailand, some might refer to as <deleted>€[w|t$.

So no offense intended. I only meant to strongly disagree with your opinion that the killing of a 58 year old woman by a sidecar was in some way premeditated or intentional. But who knows, I could be wrong that this was anything more than pure negligence/incompetence.

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

And here is that best comment award from the Commentators Association of Thaivisa. ????

1 hour ago, Hank Gunn said:

So no offense intended. I only meant to strongly disagree with your opinion that the killing of a 58 year old woman by a sidecar was in some way premeditated or intentional. But who knows, I could be wrong that this was anything more than pure negligence/incompetence.

She wasn't killed.

1 hour ago, rwill said:

It wasn't intentional.  He just forgot he had a sidecar and thought he was well clear of her.  Of course no need to stick around and accept the blame for it.

You clearly didnt see the video, before he hits her he swung left towards her, a deliberate act.

22 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

What amazes me is that no one tries to give her aid. I don't mean moving her which do more damage but trying to make her comfortable. 

Not many Thais actually know how to give aid or comfort at an accident scene... most don't even know how to check for vital signs of life or stop any fatal bleeding. The best they can do is call emergency services & hope the victim lives long enough to get to hospital.

50 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

What amazes me is that no one tries to give her aid. I don't mean moving her which do more damage but trying to make her comfortable. 

Comfortable? You mean offer her a cup of tea and a copy of the Bangkok news? Look at the video again and you will see people bending down, obviously trying to give some sort of comfort even verbal. The ambulance arrived in under 5 minutes so obviously someone called them or don’t you think that’s aid?  I can’t see the condition of the victim but it looks like people are trying to offer assistance how they see fit. 

4 hours ago, Gandtee said:

It's an Asian thing to hit and run.its also an Asian thing for no one to help.china being number 1 at the moment.one of the first Thai sayings I heard when I came here was 'no my ploblem'

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

At one time she reached out to one of the men and all he did was just look at her. At least toward the end of the video one person was holding her hand and kneeling down beside her.   

The whole street is empty and he has to drive in the exactly 16-18" of road she is clearly occupying and has been for some time and, it looks like, practically under a street light; there's no way he couldn't have seen her well before he got there.  Looks deliberate to me, too-- or if it's not, he's completely incompetent and shouldn't be allowed to drive (or maybe even walk).

He was probably falling asleep going full chat (hence why he hit her) the metal work around the bottom of a Salang would be deadly catching you around the lower legs and the speed looks like he was flat out, he quickly hung a left after hitting the poor woman so was alert enough then??

Is awful to see other vehicles just passing by and not one of them stops, then the pick up and you think yeah great go on man, protect her with your vehicle and assist... but no he just makes his right turn after having a good look then parks up in the side Soi. At least the people from across the road came over (guy on the phone as he walked across probably called the ambo)

Ba $ tard wants catching and full force of the law meating out to him, ok 500 Baht fine in LOS and carry on, disgraceful

If the bike driver was paying even a modicum of attention that would never have happened. She was standing in the gutter sweeping and wearing a glowing vest.

But, it's the paying even a modicum of attention thing where my argument falls apart, isn't it?

The driver of that pickup truck that drove by immediately afterwards  had to have seen the accident and they just kept of going. Really??? You wouldn't turn and follow the motorbike? At least try to get a license plate number?

I'll reiterate a previously mentioned opinion of mine. Have an accident and bugger off is a minimum 5 year stretch, added to whatever the sentence is, with no lessening of the 5 years. You do all that part of the time.

Archived