retirement extension seasoning

I have a friend who is due to do his yearly extension based on retirement, this will be the second year.

The 800k in the bank will be 10 days short of the 3 months seasoning.

He has read it only needs to be in the bank for 2 months if it's not the 1st extension but has also read it must be 3 months.

He spoke to an agent who said he would need to start the whole process again and leave to get a new non oa visa which he wants to avoid.

Can he not extend at immigration to cover those extra 10 days needed for the seasoning period and is it still 3 months and not 2 for the extensions after the 1st one?

I have looked on the forum but can't find a sure answer and am not retired so don't know myself.

Any help would be appreciated

He does his extensions at CW and holds an Irish passport.

Yes seasoning rule is two months for the first extension and three months for all subsequent.

If he starts over he won't need an O-A visa. (From home countries only.)

He can enter on a 30 day stamp or tourist visa and then apply for a 90 day O visa as the first step before the second step, new initial retirement extension.

I'll pass on the is there anything else he can do question. I have heard of people going on overstay before extensions, paying the fine, and then presumably after some extra overstay days, he would have the funds seasoned. Someone more expert can say whether that is practically possible or not in such cases. 

Edited by Jingthing

Since it is his 2nd extension the 800k baht has to be in the bank for 3 months on the date he appies for the extension.

There is no extension he can unless he married to or the parent fo Thai which would allow a 60 day extension.

Many offices will still do the extension after a short overstay after paying the fine of 500 per day.

He could try to apply for the extension on the last day and then ask about coming back to apply with an overstay when it is denied. The worst case scenario is that would say no and he would get 7 days to leave the country after paying the 1900 baht fee.

Then he could do a border hop for a 30 visa exempt entry and start all over again by applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then the extension during the last 45 days of the 90 days.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So the guy was planning to renew his extension close to the previous expiry?

he said it expires on the 10th december. he was planning on going to extend next week.

He said he's confused by the rules etc and is now looking for his best course of action.

He has the 800k in the bank but it will be 10 days short of the required time if that makes sense

2 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

he said it expires on the 10th december. he was planning on going to extend next week.

He said he's confused by the rules etc and is now looking for his best course of action.

He has the 800k in the bank but it will be 10 days short of the required time if that makes sense

Well you got your answer in this case. Take a chance and try for an overstay situation or start over. That would make me quite nervous personally. Again no need for an O-A visa from the home country if starting over.

Edited by Jingthing

so he should go to CW on the 10th. try to do the extension which will likely be denied.

Then he will get 7 days, but ask them if he can come back after 10 days, pay 3 days overstay and extend then once the seasoning time is met?

Is this correct?

6 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

It must be in the bank for 3 months prior to the date he applies. He can apply right up to December 10th so he just needs to wait until he’s reached the 3 month seasoning before applying.

Edited by elviajero

3 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

Just wondering if situation would improve (ie reach 3 months) if he left it to the 10th,  Well actually the 11th as the 10th is a holiday.

Does he mean he will short by 10 days next week or the 10th of next month?

Maybe he thinks has to apply x number of days early or have x number of days remaining on his extension. He can apply on the last day if he needed to.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Does he mean he will short by 10 days next week or the 10th of next month?

Maybe he thinks has to apply x number of days early or have x number of days remaining on his extension. He can apply on the last day if he needed to.

renewals on 10th dec and the 3 months seasoning will be 21st december

(current extension expires 10th december sorry)

Edited by MARK74

22 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

so he should go to CW on the 10th. try to do the extension which will likely be denied.

Then he will get 7 days, but ask them if he can come back after 10 days, pay 3 days overstay and extend then once the seasoning time is met?

Is this correct?

He would not want the 7 days unless they said no for coming back and paying for an overstay when he has met the 3 months requirement. He would have to pay the 1900 baht fee to get the 7 days to leave the country and he could not do the extension after the 7 days.

His overstay fine would be for 11 days which is 5500 baht.

10 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

would he not be best to just use that visa run service from on nut for 2k and get 30 days and apply for non o then extension after the money has seasoned??

That is an option.

Does he have a valid re-entry permit now that could cause problems when getting the 30 day visa exempt entry?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He would not want the 7 days unless they said no for coming back and paying for an overstay when he has met 3 months requirement. He would have to pay the 1900 baht fee to get the 7 days to leave the country and he could not do the extension after the 7 days.

His overstay fine would be for 11 day which is 5500 baht.

That is an option.

Does he have a valid re-entry permit now that could cause problems when getting the 30 day visa exempt entry?

he hasn't left the country or bought a re-entry permit the last year.

He would not want the 7 days unless they said no for coming back and paying for an overstay when he has met 3 months requirement. He would have to pay the 1900 baht fee to get the 7 days to leave the country and he could not do the extension after the 7 days.

His overstay fine would be for 11 day which is 5500 baht.

do you mean he should go to immigration and ask if it is OK to come back and pay the overstay when he meets the requirment.

go there with no documents and just ask?

is he taking any risks or would they take his paperwork until he came back almost like under consideration?

26 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

do you mean he should go to immigration and ask if it is OK to come back and pay the overstay when he meets the requirment.

go there with no documents and just ask?

is he taking any risks or would they take his paperwork until he came back almost like under consideration?

He should go on or near the last day (maybe the 7th since the 10th is a holiday) with all of his documents and let them say no and then ask about coming back when it has been in the bank for 3 months and paying the overstay. If they say no then he could get the 7 days after paying 1900 baht so he could arrange his trip out and back for the 30 days unless he went early and did it on or before the 10th.

• Thanks 1

Is this correct?

No.

If he applies on the 10th and hasn’t had the 800K in the bank for 3 months the application will be refused.

He would only get 7 days to leave the country if they actually accept and deny the application. If he gets 7 days to leave he would have to leave, and wouldn’t be able to extend at the end of 7 days.

He could try and apply 10 days late, but would have to pay the 5,000 baht overstay fine first. I wouldn’t recommend overstaying.

now i am confused. i thought he could go as if applying and once they notice the requirement won't be met until the 21st then he could maybe ask them if it would be ok if he came back once the money is on for 30 days and pay the overstay.

I suppose it's down to what's the IO likely to say.

It would be much easier if allowed than doing a border run, applying for a non o and then back to extend that.

The likelehood of him being checked by immigration in that time is extremely slim

1 minute ago, MARK74 said:
3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

what about getting an income letter from his embassy and doing a combination renewal, should be no need to season the money?

anyone know anymore about this?

The 3 month seasoning rule applies to combining income and cash in the bank too.

9 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

now i am confused. i thought he could go as if applying and once they notice the requirement won't be met until the 21st then he could maybe ask them if it would be ok if he came back once the money is on for 30 days and pay the overstay.

I suppose it's down to what's the IO likely to say.

It would be much easier if allowed than doing a border run, applying for a non o and then back to extend that.

The likelehood of him being checked by immigration in that time is extremely slim

It is likely the immigration office would suggest he overstays 11 days and applies again once the 3 month rule has been met, but IMO that’s a really bad idea. 

If he doesn’t meet the seasoning requirement by the 10th it would be best to do a border run and start the process from scratch.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It is likely the immigration office would suggest he overstays 11 days and applies again once the 3 month rule has been met, but IMO that’s a really bad idea. 

If he doesn’t meet the seasoning requirement by the 10th it would be best to do a border run and start the process from scratch.

thanks, i'll give him the options and leave it to him to decide

Which province is he applying? 

Many agents seem quite able to persuade the I/O to waive the seasoning requirement for the entire 3 months.  I'm sure there would be no problem in somehow "arranging" for it to be waived by 10 days.  He should talk to an agent beforehand or even his I/O a few days early and see what they say.

Since he actually has the money, the agent fee may be similar to the cost of a border run, then a conversion to a non-O, and then an extension anyway, and definitely a lot less hassle.  

Edited by steve73

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. He was a few days short of the seasoning period. The IO suggested that a fine of B10,000 was appropriate. He paid and got his extension. However this was in the Korat office maybe it wouldn't be so simple in CW.