retirement extension seasoning

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

The 3 month seasoning rule applies to combining income and cash in the bank too.

I'm doing the combo income/bank deposit method next month and thought about doing it early, extension expiry date 20 Dec and maybe go in for the new application 10 Dec and the seasoning date is 19 Sept...am I likely to get rejected?

I'll be switching from a marriage to a retirement extension, any reports of any problems under the new regime using the combo method? there shouldn't be under the last police order which is still effective...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I'm doing the combo income/bank deposit method next month and thought about doing it early, extension expiry date 20 Dec and maybe go in for the new application 10 Dec and the seasoning date is 19 Sept...am I likely to get rejected?

It depends upon your local office since the 3 months is not mentioned for the combination option  in the police order but many office have a policy of requiring it since many people were abusing it to avoid the 3 months by using a small amount of income with money in the bank.

If they will not do it early the first day you can do it is the December 19th.

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I'll be switching from a marriage to a retirement extension, any reports of any problems under the new regime using the combo method? there shouldn't be under the last police order which is still effective...

No problem doing the change to retirement.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:
On 11/23/2018 at 10:10 AM, elviajero said:

The 3 month seasoning rule applies to combining income and cash in the bank too.

The published 2014 police orders are not the only orders that immigration work to. They can only really be used as a general guide for the types of extensions available. The documents etc. required to be considered for an extension are more fluid.

The basic rule -- that all offices should be working to -- is that any money should be in the bank for the required seasoning period. IF the amount in the bank is small enough the office can (discretionary) waive the the seasoning. That is how the method was always intended and was clarified to immigration offices a few years ago.

Unfortunately the only way you can get a definitive answer is to ask at your local office.

On 11/23/2018 at 4:22 AM, Lacessit said:

A good, well-connected agent will probably be able to sort the problem out. There are many expats here that don't come within a bull's roar of required funds or seasoning for their extensions.

If he lives in Bangkok or Pattaya, an agent should be able to fix it. If he lives in the boonies, not sure about agent situation there. If possible to use an agent, it will be hassle free and no need for overstay fines, risking arrest (very unlikely) or go out of he country to restart the process. Or he can go to the renewal and pretend he did not know about three months rule (as it is only his second extension and the first extension is possible by 2-month seasoning) and ask the IO if it is possible to do it by paying a fine (I mean a bribe but you cannot tell that to an IO ????)

Edited by onera1961

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update if anyone is interested. He went into CW on Monday and was told he needed to see a supervisor but they were busy and to come back tomorrow (Tuesday) which he did.

The supervisor told him to come back on the 22nd and pay the 5,500 baht overstay and they will do his extension then.

9 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

Just to update if anyone is interested. He went into CW on Monday and was told he needed to see a supervisor but they were busy and to come back tomorrow (Tuesday) which he did.

The supervisor told him to come back on the 22nd and pay the 5,500 baht overstay and they will do his extension then.

That's good news. Also can pass that on to anyone I meet in similar situation. I was in the camp of just suggesting use an agent but that would be maybe 20k. However if it was me I would still choose the agent option. 

On 11/23/2018 at 3:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

Then he could do a border hop for a 30 visa exempt entry and start all over again by applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry and then the extension during the last 45 days of the 90 days.

Hi Joe, I have Cambodian passport and I only get 15 day visa exempt. Last time when I tried to convert it to Non-O using an agent, everyone got a blank stare on their face. Could you tell me if there is a different process for this? Thanks so much.

33 minutes ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Hi Joe, I have Cambodian passport and I only get 15 day visa exempt. Last time when I tried to convert it to Non-O using an agent, everyone got a blank stare on their face. Could you tell me if there is a different process for this? Thanks so much.

The problem is that you must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry to do a application for a non immigrant visa which you did not have.

You could apply for a the non-o visa at the embassy in Phnom Penh. You would need to show the financial proof needed for an extension based upon retirement. Or you could apply for a single entry tourist visa in order to get enough time to do the visa application at immigration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's good news. Also can pass that on to anyone I meet in similar situation. I was in the camp of just suggesting use an agent but that would be maybe 20k. However if it was me I would still choose the agent option. 

he was quoted between 17 and 25k by a couple of agents plus the extension fee. He'll pay 5,500 plus the extension fee. He's just going to do as the supervisor said, his choice and lesson learnt for next year.

Edited by MARK74

10 minutes ago, MARK74 said:

he was quoted between 17 and 25k by a couple of agents plus the extension fee. He'll pay 5,500 plus the extension fee. He's just going to do as the supervisor said, his choice and lesson learnt for next year.

True but what about all the stuffing about to obtain a new non o and then obtain the 12 month extension. I missed where op lives, but I'm in bkk and would pay big bucks to avoid a day wasted at CW imm. 20k minus cost of new process, I would not think twice. He would only need agent this one time and next year no problem

14 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

You "season" food. Any idiot talking about "seasoning" money should be executed.

So anyone making grammatical errors should be executed? Let's all go examine your posts, in many topics. "He who casts first stone...."

Move on.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

True but what about all the stuffing about to obtain a new non o and then obtain the 12 month extension. I missed where op lives, but I'm in bkk and would pay big bucks to avoid a day wasted at CW imm. 20k minus cost of new process, I would not think twice. He would only need agent this one time and next year no problem

he lives that side of BKK and is recently retired so going there doesn't bother him. he doesn't need to do the process again just the extension

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So anyone making grammatical errors should be executed? Let's all go examine your posts, in many topics. "He who casts first stone...."

Move on.

Go ahead...examine my posts. I wrote professionally for broadcast media. You can do no more than cast stones for hurridly typed missives that are far superior to anything you have ever written.

3 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Go ahead...examine my posts. I wrote professionally for broadcast media. You can do no more than cast stones for hurridly typed missives that are far superior to anything you have ever written.

Your missing the point. Your post that I quoted contributed exactly what to the thread. Just a bored chap with a cell filling in time. In contrast my couple of posts addressed the topic. Good advise or poor, its a contribution. 

38 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

You "season" food. Any idiot talking about "seasoning" money should be executed.

The first dictionary meaning of season is "a passage of time" ie: hunting season, the four seasons etc

Its also a financial/realestate term 

What are seasoned funds?

Summary: Many mortgage lenders today require down-payment funds to be sourced and seasoned. Sourcing is basically identifying where the money came from. Seasoning means the money has been in the bank for a certain period of time, such as 60 days or more. ... 

What is a seasoning requirement?
Seasoning in real estate usually refers to the length of time that a home-owner has owned a particular home, known as title seasoning. Seasoning can also refer to the length of time a borrower has held a particular loan. Mortgage lenders usually have title seasoning requirements before they issue a home loan.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1