How to Ensure a Car is not Stolen

onera1961

I want to buy a used car so I was looking through online and Facebook ads. A Suzuki Swift caught my eye. So I sent an email and got a reply that the owner is out of the country but his friend will be delivering the car. I told him the I would take a picture of the person and his Thai ID or foreign passport with VISA. I also told him to come to local Pattaya Tourist Police station for them to witness the sale and deliver the car. My question is 

a) Will the tourist police witness the sale and they will refuse?

b) How can I ensure that the car is not stolen?

I know it could be a scam, odometer may be rolled back, etc. etc. Is there any system in Thailand to check the history of the car?

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

As far as I know, the owner must sign the 'selling documents'.

The email says the owner has already signed the document and his friend will deliver the car with all the paper, including owner's passport copy and visa copy. I asked them to bring the car to Pattaya local police station for witness and taking pictures of the delivery person (owner's friend) and come with his ID pr passport. He has not replied yet.

1 minute ago, ThaidDown said:

Do the sale and name transfer at the Department of Land Transport. If the paperwork is not in order transfer will not be completed. Ref odometer reading ,as said, check against service history.

This is a good idea but the seller may say unless you give me money, I cannot start name transfer process. And he take the money and run. What would I do?

Just now, onera1961 said:

The email says the owner has already signed the document and his friend will deliver the car with all the paper, including owner's passport copy and visa copy. I asked them to bring the car to Pattaya local police station for witness and taking pictures of the delivery person (owner's friend) and come with his ID pr passport. He has not replied yet.

Should be no problem then.

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

This is a good idea but the seller may say unless you give me money, I cannot start name transfer process. And he take the money and run. What would I do?

You'll pay him when the documents are accepted at the DLT office. Do not give any money before the transfer.

All the above ^^^.

The seller's representative will need a power of attorney (with tax stamps) and the original registration book.

Take that, him, and the vehicle to the DLT (preferably the one where the vehicle is registered) and they will do the transfer. Pay the dosh once the transfer is approved.

The DLT chaps are used to doing this so they know all the scams.

4 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

What's the deal man? Is it stolen? Why can't you be specific?

More likely it existeth not. There will be all sorts of "deposits" or "transfer fees" needed before you even get to see, let alone test-drive, the vehicle.

Have a word with your local Land Transport Office to see exactly what they need for them to transfer a vehicle when the "owner" is absent. If it's not available don't walk away, run!

Just now, Crossy said:

More likely it existeth not. There will be all sorts of "deposits" or "transfer fees" needed before you even get to see, let alone test-drive the vehicle.

He did not say anything about deposits or transfer. He just wants to meet me to deliver the car (and of course take money) and take money. So I asked him to come to the Pattaya Police station for them to witness the sale and bring the delivery person's ID (passport or Thai ID). I did not want him to know where I live. 

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

He says he works for the UN. How does the scam work? Can you be specific? 

Yes, sounds like the scam. Did you find it on Craiglist? He advertises lots of different cars cheaply. Not sure who falls for it, but has been around a while.

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

He did not say anything about deposits or transfer. He just wants to meet me to deliver the car (and of course take money) and take money. So I asked him to come to the Pattaya Police station for them to witness the sale and bring the delivery person's ID (passport or Thai ID). I did not want him to know where I live. 

Not the cop-shop, meet at the LTA. Shell the readies when the transfer is approved.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Not the cop-shop, meet at the LTA. Shell the readies when the transfer is approved.

I posted here after I sent him the email. I thought at the Police station he can still deliver me a stolen car. And knowing the Thai Police, they will not be of much help and gladly take the car from me. Yes, I think I will ask him to come to LTA and if the papers are accepted I will pay. Let me send him another mail that I changed my mind. Not police station, come to LTA and I pay after papers are accepted.

17 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I posted here after I sent him the email. I thought at the Police station he can still deliver me a stolen car. And knowing the Thai Police, they will not be of much help and gladly take the car from me. Yes, I think I will ask him to come to LTA and if the papers are accepted I will pay. Let me send him another mail that I changed my mind. Not police station, come to LTA and I pay after papers are accepted.

image.png.559a4d94814c2200a55800b569edaf1b.png If this is the car it is way too cheap. It is the same year and colour as my wife's car actually. I would be very wary of this. Is there any way to find who the registered owner is at the dlt? There should be a blue book too. 

26 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

You need to walk away from this.

Buying a car shouldn't be making you worry like this.

The fact that you think you are getting a great deal and even after warnings on here, you still want to pursue this , means that the scam works.

Leave it and look for another car. If it's too good to be true ...... then it is. Use your common sense.

10 minutes ago, DavisH said:

image.png.559a4d94814c2200a55800b569edaf1b.png If this is the car it is way too cheap. It is the same year and colour as my wife's car actually. I would be very wary of this. Is there any way to find who the registered owner is at the dlt? There should be a blue book too. 

It was listed as being in Bangkok before. Seems to be doing the rounds.

Archived