How to Ensure a Car is not Stolen

onera1961

Car scams-- same the world over.  The person is in the military (in the U.S. sometimes they say they're clergy) and has to move Right Now (or already had to move) so they're selling it long distance.  In the U.S. Western Union or other money transfer/lack of face-to-face contact is usually involved.

As others have said, the price is always telling.  If I see something too cheap for what it is, I walk away immediately; either it's a scam, or something is seriously wrong with it that they have to sell it for so low.  Either way, I know I probably want nothing to do with it; the odds that someone "doesn't know what they have" are low, and the odds that someone else didn't snap it up immediately on listing are even lower.  Nobody gives things away by selling them for less than they're worth-- who can afford to even if honest???-- and thinking they do is just going to get you into hot water.

Did you ask this person a lot of questions about the car (why are you selling, is it in good working condition, has it had any accidents, has it been regularly serviced, how long have you had it, etc.)?  Were they able to answer them?  I get that language barriers may cause you to have to use email rather than calling (when there are no language barriers I vastly prefer to call to ask questions so they don't have time to "prepare" answers and I can attempt to gauge from ability to answer and tone of voice whether they might be lying, an idiot, etc.), but you can still ask extensive questions and if the guy's a scammer, he may try to deflect or otherwise not be smart enough to just lie.

If its on Craiglist and has been listed in different locations over a period of time, and a big red flag being that its half price - its a scam - This looks very much like a scam attempt to me. 

That said - the seller can't always be there. I'm selling my motorbike but I'm not currently in Thailand (my Wife will handle the viewings if people want to come see it), but I haven't filled out the 'affirmation form' (to sell it)... so, if someone looks at the bike and wants to take it they'll either have to just pay cash and trust us or wait until I get back to Bangkok... 

The last car I sold was (3MB) and I did not do the Transfer at the DLT, I just had the affirmation document signed and signed copies of my passport. We went to the Bank, cash was paid into my account, they left with my car and handled the DLT paperwork themselves (they signed copies of my passport etc which are required - with a statement - for sale of xxx car in February 2018 only. )...

There should be no room for doubt and if there is any doubt - don't buy !

57 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

If there’s no deposit being asked, it’s either a stolen car, or they’ll steal it back from you and sell it again or you’ll get mugged when you show up with cash in pocket 

Yes, I was afraid of this also. That is the reason I never told them my location and asked them to meet at a police station. If it is a simple money transfer scam, I am very good at scamming the scammer till they experience an epic meltdown. Anyway, I will stop pursuing it. Thanks guys. And good night. 

14 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Let me guess why it " caught your eye".

Because it was a too good to be true deal?

Yes that is true. New 2018 Suzuki with discount costs only 470K. And suzuki is no Honda or Toyota. Their used prices fall rapidly. I am not sure even this model sells in the USA. So I have no way to compare suzuki used car prices. I don't know any Edmund car price website in Thailand for comparison. 

2 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Yes that is true. New 2018 Suzuki with discount costs only 470K. And suzuki is no Honda or Toyota. Their used prices fall rapidly. I am not sure even this model sells in the USA. So I have no way to compare suzuki used car prices. I don't know any Edmund car price website in Thailand for comparison. 

You arrived in Thailand yesterday?

https://www.one2car.com/en/used-cars-for-sale/suzuki/swift

3 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Do the sale and name transfer at the Department of Land Transport. If the paperwork is not in order transfer will not be completed. Ref odometer reading ,as said, check against service history.

Exactly this

Do the sale at the land transport department 

If there is anything owed  or the vehicle has "issues" they will not let it be sold

Don't pay until it passes all the inspections and the green book is in your name

A weee story. We have a car dealer just up the road from us, we looked at a nice Nissan March, said OK will buy it.

Next day he phoned to say can't buy it, he bought it off a Korean bloke, LTO told the dealer there was something wrong with the blue book regarding the Korean.

I have no idea what but the dealer was giving the car back and getting his money back...????

PS. Glad it did cos I later found a younger pristine Celerio...????

Archived