Traffic jams at the BTS

Till

Nonsense ! I get on at thong lo everday at 12:30 and there’s no room to get ! So don’t tell me what I know or don’t know

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
Try getting on at On Nut or Phra Khanong at 8.00am on weekdays! But what do you expect in a huge city? Try London, Tokyo or any other metropolis and you'll get the same.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I get the BTS every day at Onnut at around 4pm and frequently at about 11am/noon, never any problem getting on the train at either time (and it's not unusual to find a seat) and when it gets to Thong Lo the passengers there never have difficulty getting on.  So don't tell me what I know!

And I know what I know ... pays your money take your choice

On 12/1/2018 at 11:09 PM, markaoffy said:

Nonsense ! I get on at thong lo everday at 12:30 and there’s no room to get ! So don’t tell me what I know or don’t know

It does not further your argument when you out and out lie. I am sure many people on here use the BTS everyday, some no doubt from Thonglor and they will know that you are quite simply a liar. I use the BTS everyday for 12 odd years going to and from work. I can count on one hand the amount of times i have had to wait for more than the 1st train to get on. At 12.30pm you are straight up lying.

It does not further your argument when you out and out lie. I am sure many people on here use the BTS everyday, some no doubt from Thonglor and they will know that you are quite simply a liar. I use the BTS everyday for 12 odd years going to and from work. I can count on one hand the amount of times i have had to wait for more than the 1st train to get on. At 12.30pm you are straight up lying.

I agree with this.  I also use it daily.  At 8.30am at Asoke this morning I had to let one train go but I got on the next one which came within a couple of minutes.  Used it four more times through the day, from Phrom Phong, from Thonglor, absolutely never even a hint of a question about not being able to board.  This is true every day.

Saying you can't get on a train at 12.30pm is totally untrue.

12:30 is one of my peak travel times (cuz I am a fat lazy dude that likes to sleep in) and I never have a problem getting on a train. 7-9am, maybe. But at noon ish? No problem.

You want to see crowded, try the San Saeb boat from Pratunam  to Bang Kapi at like 3ish on a weekend.

Liar

Between Asoke and Siam can be chaos especially weekends

What happened? Was there a population explosion in bangkok? It was never like that years ago

Earnings in Bangkok have caught up with the fares.

Also, the addition of link bridges makes the BTS much more attractive.

Also, businesses are choosing to locate near Skytrain stations because they see the benefits; and people have learned about all the places that they can go on the Skytrain.

• Like 2

They could eliminate overcrowding on the BTS by raising fares, but they choose not to do so.

I'm not going to complain about that.

That is true, but the real problem is the daily commuters are getting an insanely good price at 20 baht or thereabouts for a "trip", while I can go the same length and pay triple the price... which is quite the disparity. There inlies the real problem, the fares are way too low for some, and way to high for others. I can't think of too many products or services in the world where one set of users pays three times the price. I think they need to change this based on that fact. Because if you are paying this tripled up price and going with two people the pricing gets absurd. Taxis are a lot more convenient many times, door to door, and quite often cheaper than the bts going in pairs. In a sentence, they need to drop the "regular" fare prices and raise the rates for the trips in my opinion. 

Edited by direction BANGKOK

That is true, but the real problem is the daily commuters are getting an insanely good price at 20 baht or thereabouts for a "trip", while I can go the same length and pay triple the price... which is quite the disparity. There inlies the real problem, the fares are way too low for some, and way to high for others. I can't think of too many products or services in the world where one set of users pays three times the price. I think they need to change this based on that fact. Because if you are paying this tripled up price and going with two people the pricing gets absurd. Taxis are a lot more convenient many times, door to door, and quite often cheaper than the bts going in pairs. In a sentence, they need to drop the "regular" fare prices and raise the rates for the trips in my opinion. 

I don't think that dropping the rice for you and raising it for everyone else would help them improve ridership and enhance their contribution to the economy.

It's a mass transit system, not a tourist luxury, and now the masses can afford it.

Just like in the UK, season tickets are significantly cheaper than single journeys.

SC

I think, the way I figured, that for someone like me who goes in different directions on different days to different stops the Rabbit card with stored value works out fine. My entire transport expenditure works out to like $4 a day including cabs and grab. If you take off two or three Airport cabs and two trips to Immi and a trip in from Nonthanburi and a few late nights out of Sukmyvit and Lat Phrao and Saphan Kwai I bet my average is like $3 a day and a bunch of that is on MRT/Canal Boats/Motocys/Riverboats. So if I am averaging $2.00 a day on the BTS Im not going to whinge. Of course, I dont go somewhere everyday, like today, I only went to the toilet and laundry room. Some days I have a $1 ride, some days $4 in rides. But I cant quarrel with a transport system that is as cheap and as efficient for me as the one here. Last week I rolled out to Bang Kapi. 30 baht to National Stadium. 19 baht on the canal boat. In Bang Kapi in about an hour including walk to Hua Chang Pier and a cup of coffee on the way. Back: 100 baht cab to MRT Lat Phrao, 40 baht to Sala Daeng, 35 baht home. Train time about 45 minutes. Cab time 1/2 an hour late at night, wonder how it would be at say 3 pm. Total 225 baht or so? $7 including a cab? Think you are better off in a Taxi? Hell, I used to have a $1200 a month car lease payment (and Im not doing that again) And at $4 a day, I would have to run the BTS every day for two months to come close to what it costs for ONE TIRE on our car back home.....

Its all about perspective. Somehow, complaining over 20 baht  for a ride on an air conditioned train is a bit much.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don't think that dropping the rice for you and raising it for everyone else would help them improve ridership and enhance their contribution to the economy.

It's a mass transit system, not a tourist luxury, and now the masses can afford it.

Just like in the UK, season tickets are significantly cheaper than single journeys.

SC

The smallest denominations for purchasing trips is 15 trips that must be used within a month. There are a lot of Thais and foreigners who live here and do not quite use it that much. So, if I make 15 trips a month I pay 20 or so baht per trip, and if I make say 8 trips a month I pay 60 baht per trip. Where on earth, please name an example, is there such a small gap in quantity yet at triple the price (technically, the gap could be 15 trips vs a person who makes 14 trips a month and must pay 60 baht). 

I understand, I just think that pricing and the basis is a bit off. If you think I am wrong, as I was aaying, name an example of a price of a service or product that is three times more expensive when there is such an insignificant difference in quantity. 

58 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

The smallest denominations for purchasing trips is 15 trips that must be used within a month. There are a lot of Thais and foreigners who live here and do not quite use it that much. So, if I make 15 trips a month I pay 20 or so baht per trip, and if I make say 8 trips a month I pay 60 baht per trip. Where on earth, please name an example, is there such a small gap in quantity yet at triple the price (technically, the gap could be 15 trips vs a person who makes 14 trips a month and must pay 60 baht). 

I understand, I just think that pricing and the basis is a bit off. If you think I am wrong, as I was aaying, name an example of a price of a service or product that is three times more expensive when there is such an insignificant difference in quantity. 

Dude just top off your Rabbit card, dont buy trips then. Trips are for folks who ride the same route every day, day in and day out. Punnawithi to Chitlom and back. Or such like. If the BTS is too expensive for you, perhaps you should rethink your time here.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 6:13 PM, josephbloggs said:

I agree with this.  I also use it daily.  At 8.30am at Asoke this morning I had to let one train go but I got on the next one which came within a couple of minutes.  Used it four more times through the day, from Phrom Phong, from Thonglor, absolutely never even a hint of a question about not being able to board.  This is true every day.

Saying you can't get on a train at 12.30pm is totally untrue.

We took the bts from mochit last weekend...had to let one train go (yes from mochit)...at every next station the passengers couldn't board because it was full....

7 hours ago, Thainess said:

Well done posting something so small that it's impossible to read any of the text, you numpty. Go to the back of the class.

If I want to look rude and ignorant, I misunderstand people then abuse them for my stupidity.  It seems I am in good company.

I think he was trying to demonstrate that the Bangkok transit system is in development, and will be large and complex.  I don't think he was trying to provide a useful guide to help you get around.

I suggest if you want a useful guide to help you use the Bangkok transit systems, then you ask for one, or look for one yourself.  I wouldn't use the map shown, since some of those lines are not yet in operation.

SC

20 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude just top off your Rabbit card, dont buy trips then. Trips are for folks who ride the same route every day, day in and day out. Punnawithi to Chitlom and back. Or such like. If the BTS is too expensive for you, perhaps you should rethink your time here.

MY main qualm was that it is roughly (correction) 2 times more expensive for people who do not use it everyday. That seems to be quite the reduction. So, if the bts is too expensive for me, I should pack my things up? Is this your default position on everything? If i did pack my things it would be because i had to deal face to face with folks like you. I don't think anyone would fade that. 

21 hours ago, direction BANGKOK said:

just buy a rabbit card and top it up as you go and at quiet times. easy and no queuing. i'm certainly not paying three times the normal ticket price, if that were the case no one would use a rabbit card.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

MY main qualm was that it is roughly 3 times more expensive for people who do not use it everyday. It is just a discussion point man. Chill out. As i said though, if you do not agree, what else in the world is three times more expensive for people who do a bit more volume? There is really no answer to that question, from which we can deduce that the pricing is wuite insane because we do not see this sort of difference in pricing anywhere in the world (assuming the rest of the business world is not bat shot crazy i suppose, which capitalists they are, i am betting not). 

Im chill. you just dont understand the system. if you dont understand how it works, how can you pontificate, or have a You Tube Channel.

2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

just buy a rabbit card and top it up as you go and at quiet times. easy and no queuing. i'm certainly not paying three times the normal ticket price, if that were the case no one would use a rabbit card.

I think i have one somewhere from my dastardly commuting days. But yes the rabbit is the way to go for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Im chill. you just dont understand the system. if you dont understand how it works, how can you pontificate, or have a You Tube Channel.

I am chill too. I read the chart wrong anyway, someone corrected me as it is 30 baht for a trip. That makes more sense, not that i can do any of that other stuff. Although pontificating i am quite good at ????

14 minutes ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I am chill too. I read the chart wrong anyway, someone corrected me as it is 30 baht for a trip. That makes more sense, not that i can do any of that other stuff. Although pontificating i am quite good at ????

Heres the only way monthly makes sense.  Long commutes. 40 times a month, 5 days a week, you commute from Bang Wa to Mo Chit. Those 40 trips cost you 28 baht each I beleive. Regular Rabbit costs you 58 each, so if all you are doing is commuting, you save money. Dont get on that train otherwise, Tommy Teacher.

But now you got a gf.  So you buy yourself 50 trips @ 26 baht a trip. Use those other 10 trips to go from Bang Wa to Wutthakat which is 15 baht. You just erased your savings.

And hey, Its been a long fridiy at Mo Chit School and you want to do some shopping. So you get off at Siam. You now have used 2 trips. Or three is you stop off at Nana. Or 4 if you go visit your gf.

So some folks may whip out their calculators and say, hmmmm, I can buy a combo of 50 trips and save 30 baht a week, me, Ill just wait till Cheddar Cheese goes on special and get my savings there. I prefer to top up my Rabbit card and not worry about how many trips I have taken this month, especially when I jump off at Krung Thonburi for lunch. then hop back on to Silom, then switch to MRT to go somewhere, then go on the MRT to Asoke, have some fun, jump back on, jump off again at Silom or Saphan Taksin, ad infinitum. Oops running low, better top up.