Thinking of renting a motorcycle in Pattaya? Watch this first....

webfact

Thinking of renting a motorcycle in Pattaya? Watch this first....

2pm1.jpg

video screenshot

We Love Pattaya posted a video of some of the latest accidents involving motorcycles in Pattaya.

They will give some food for thought to anyone thinking of renting a bike in the resort - and perhaps to people thinking of renting a car too. 

The site said it was a public service to warn people about the dangers on the roads in Thailand. 

And a reminder not to be negligent when driving. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-26

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Pattaya without dead and mangled bodies is no a true pattaya, part of the charm, daredevil attitude if you like, playing chicken with their live just to shave few second of waiting... engaged both by very brave but stupids men and women Thai and foreigners...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

My observations from the video:

>  It could have been an optical illusion but it looked to me like the video had been speeded up a bit. (on a second look, and before the TVF know-it-alls tell me otherwise, I see that it has been speeded up, as apparent by how fast a street sweeper is moving about)

>  Overall helmet usage did not look too bad, but it seems like many of the persons on bikes who where involved in a crash were without a helmet, very apparent of the girl who became airborne, 1:53 on the video.

>  The vast majority of these crashes could have been very simply avoided had the bike driver exercised some common road sense (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, TIT).

This video is sickening to watch but it is certainly a valuable awareness tool.

• Like 1

AS SO MANY PLACES........... PATTAYA has an abundance of VIDEO SURVEILANCE CAMERAS....
Have a look.......... Hardly a day goes by without 'multiple' similar accidents and many deaths........
I must admit however..... seeing the way some, many, young Thai guys race around cars, run red lights, etc.....
I don't have much PITY for them guys but I have SOOOOOOOO MUCH PITY for the poor inocent girlfriend sitting behind him getting 'mangled' when she, herself is a cautious driver, but since she stupidly likes the guy.... She just holds on for dear-life and tries not to think about what 'could happen'.......
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

This is why I've decided not to buy/rent a cycle/scooter in Thailand.

I didn't during my trip there and won't after I move there.

It's having a big effect on my choice of where to live.

May I suggest that you take a look at the small town about 45 minutes south of Pattaya. A town called BAN CHANG which I describe as being similar to Pattaya 30 - 40 years ago.. It has a cluster of about 20 bars with very lovely ladies, Restruants, golf courses, AND only 2 (two) 'traffic signals' on it's main drag.......

I live on the East-side of Pattaya but I also keep a 4,000 baht/month apartment in Ban Chang....... I find I actually enjoy my retirement more in Ban Chang.....

I recomment you give it a look before settling in Pattaya.........

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

May I suggest that you take a look at the small town about 45 minutes south of Pattaya. A town called BAN CHANG which I describe as being similar to Pattaya 30 - 40 years ago.. It has a cluster of about 20 bars with very lovely ladies, Restruants, golf courses, AND only 2 (two) 'traffic signals' on it's main drag.......

I live on the East-side of Pattaya but I also keep a 4,000 baht/month apartment in Ban Chang....... I find I actually enjoy my retirement more in Ban Chang.....

I recomment you give it a look before settling in Pattaya.........

Will do, thank you.

Planning to live in Chiang Mai about 9 months, then somewhere else during the smog season.

That's one reason I love CM's old town - most places I like for food etc. within 1 mile so I can walk comfortably. (But harder to find reasonable long term lodgings there than other areas).

Edited by JimmyJ

1 hour ago, neeray said:

This video is sickening to watch but it is certainly a valuable awareness tool.

My Thai wife and I showed the video to her 13 year old sister who wonders why her family won't buy her a scooter. She shrugged her shoulders and said 'so what'. Won't happen to me.  There was no apparent shock or horror - it just seemed like she was watching a soap opera.

4 minutes ago, Maverell said:

My Thai wife and I showed the video to her 13 year old sister who wonders why her family won't buy her a scooter. She shrugged her shoulders and said 'so what'. Won't happen to me.  There was no apparent shock or horror - it just seemed like she was watching a soap opera.

Her 13 year old sister has a stronger stomach than I do.

I could only watch about a third of it.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Her 13 year old sister has a stronger stomach than I do.

I could only watch about a third of it.

This 13 Y.O. could very well be a careful driver an so many girls/women are.... But it is more scary to think about the crazy Thai guy that SHE will fall in love with and sit quietly behind on HIS bike and wind-up mangled........

Many of the crazy guys recing carelessly around..... Seem to have some lovely young (innocent) girls sitting behind them and so often these poor girls are mangled along with the crazy guy who was just asking for what HE got.......

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

This 13 Y.O. could very well be a careful driver an so many girls/women are.... But it is more scary to think about the crazy Thai guy that SHE will fall in love with and sit quietly behind on HIS bike and wind-up mangled........

Many of the crazy guys recing carelessly around..... Seem to have some lovely young (innocent) girls sitting behind them and so often these poor girls are mangled along with the crazy guy who was just asking for what HE got.......

Unfortunately the 'bad boy' image seems to be very appealing to so many young girls.

And their driving habits are probably double worse with chicky on pillion as they try to show off.

Edited by neeray
spelling correction
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kim J said:

This video has been doing the rounds for ages and it wasn't remarkable the first time I saw it.

Every day on every road in Thailand you can see such accidents just waiting to happen.

21 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Yes excellent advice. Only a few months ago I was at the bottom of Soi Kaothalo waiting for a green light to turn right on Sukhumvit. All the Thai men sat their revving their engines, just let them go first. A car heading south from Pattaya jumped a red light and knocked one of them off, fortunately in this instance nobody was seriously hurt, but had I shot off with all the idiots the minute the light changed, it could have been me.

Never ever ever set off just as the lights change. Count to 10 slowly, and then proceed with caution. You might see that accident before you get to 5!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

my pet hate is scooter riders leaving their indicators on, thats an accident waiting to happen, i bet i can go out today and see at least half a dozen bikes with indicators still flashing, whats the matter with these idiots

Cars without headlights  at night!

Too stupid to turn them on or get them fixed!

• Like 1

I was confused when I tried to rent one. The man said...these are my bikes, Understand?

Yes, I understand.

You break my bike or lose my bike you pay, understand???

Any insurance?

You break my bike or lose my bike you pay, understand???

I asked a few more questions and got the same answer...so I left him with his bikes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The second time you show us this very same video? Why? 

Personally, for six years, I drive in Thailand a car and a motorbike. I never had anything that closely resembles an accident, OK I drive a little like a paranoiac,:smile: and think of nothing else but my driving, never forget my flashing when I turn. On the motorbike to the flashings I have added a beep like that, people hear me too. I never ever forget to look in my mirrors before turning. I slow down before each turn on the road if do not see the other side just in case something someone anything would be in my way in the middle of the road. Having driven two wheels since I was 14 years old including a big engine, to ride like I do I do not feel at all insecure, of course, I have a helmet all the time a real one, not a Thai cardboard' one LO.  And thank you not to tell me that I'm wrong about the danger, I know everything can happen to anyone everywhere.  But my fear of accident in everyday life is 0% sorry to disappoint the author of this article

• Like 2