unofficial rules for the tourist visa

Hi.

We usually use the 2 months tourist visa + 1 month extension.

Always leave in time.

Lately I hear they are not easy with many people who do a "visa run" .

I wonder a little bit more deeply regarding this visa :

1. Is there a minimum time between requests ? for example we would like to fly out of TH when visa ends( 3 months) and request a new tourist visa right away - within 3 days. I know that in the application form they ask when was the last entrance to the kingdom , so I wonder how much is it matter ? can it be 1 day between them?

2. Is there a limit per visas for a calendar year(not by law, but in reality) ? if we do it 3 times a year  - will they ask something (when making the visa) ?

What are the "Real" rules regarding this type of visa ? can you keep it "forever" ?

Thanks!

There will be heap of members who will advise that there are no rules regarding number of VE, SETV, etc etc. And that's true.

Recent couple of threads on this subject were triggered by couple of separate "refusal of entry at bkk airports. Both amounted (in most peoples opinion) that they were not genuine tourists. Basically in opinion of io they were working while in Thailand. Rightly or wrongly it comes down to that most often. Very short periods out of Thailand and using many consecutive TV or VE entries. Of course over what period of time. A year maybe, 18 months maybe not.

If still in your own country maybe think about METV.

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

1. Is there a minimum time between requests ? for example we would like to fly out of TH when visa ends( 3 months) and request a new tourist visa right away - within 3 days. I know that in the application form they ask when was the last entrance to the kingdom , so I wonder how much is it matter ? can it be 1 day between them?

The Thai Consulate in France requires a 90-day break before a new Tourist Visa application.  I have not heard of any others with similar restrictions - certainly not those in countries near to Thailand, which are most often discussed.

2. Is there a limit per visas for a calendar year(not by law, but in reality) ? if we do it 3 times a year  - will they ask something (when making the visa) ?

When applying for a Tourist Visa, the policies vary by Thai-Consulate.  Some will put a remark-stamp (aka "red stamp") on a visa they issue, if they see several other Thai tourist-visas in that passport.  Some only count the visas issued by that consulate - others count the total from anywhere.  The solution to this arbitrary limit, is to get a new passport after receiving a visa with this remark - as consulate personnel will recommend.

As to what they ask for - again, this varies by consulate.  Vientiane, Laos wants your passport, application-form, and money.  Savannakhet, Laos wants that plus proof of a ticket-out within 90-days, a copy of a bank-statement showing 20K Baht worth on-deposit (can be your home-country bank), and proof of where you will be staying.  Many others are similar to Savannakhet, though some want the air-ticket dated within 60-days (not taking the 30-day extension into account).

What are the "Real" rules regarding this type of visa ? can you keep it "forever" ?

A Single-Entry Tourist Visa is useable for 90-days from issuance.  A Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (only available in ones passport-country or where one has residence) is usable for 6-months from issuance.  The days given upon entry are not reduced by the expiration-date ("enter before") of the Visa.

If you mean, "Can you keep entering on Tourist Visas forever" - yes, if you avoid the checkpoints that use unpublished rules (both Bangkok airports plus the Poipet/Aranyaprathet border crossing), and you get Tourist Visas from more difficult consulates first (the ones who add the "remark" stamp more readily), then the easier ones, then get a new passport when you eventually get the remark-stamp.  As advised above, best to start with a METV. 

One can also enter twice by-land "Visa Exempt" per calendar year.  This can be used if one is refused a visa - good for emergencies - or when close to the end of a calendar year. 

Another alternative, is the ED (education) visa, which is extended 3-mo at a time at immigration, with that policy varying by area/office. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are no set rules. The embassies/consulates have discretionary powers when issuing visas, and the IO's at the border have discretionary power to allow entry to the country.

The occasional visit for tourism with a decent time gap between visits shouldn't be a problem. Trying to live in the country doing visa runs to get back to back visas is becoming more problematic.

• Like 1

OP the above advice is very comprehensive thinking that pretty much sums it up.

In all your questions you didn't really outline your "plan". Its your own business of course, but for example if you had said you wanted to do this  every other year for 12 month stay, or I would like to stay 2 years, you may receive more specific advice on best method.

Thanks for the answer, but bottom line is not clear to me again.

This year we had 2 months, extended to 3. Then left for a month outside, and came back for another 2+1.

If we leave now, and ask another one within a week, is there a high probability for a failure ?

For those who asked the goal - we are a mixed couple who have hard time to figure out where to live, while

we are building our online businesses (software for me, ecommerce for her ).

Wanted to do this for a while (next 3 months and maybe 6).

Can not understand what really are the rules/chances

1.if you get the visa already - the guy in airport can still deny you ?

2. is there a rules for break between visas ? 

3. when they ask tickets back  - can we get them for 90 days and not for 60 days ? (assuming we extend) ?

Many things are unclear with them, and strange they still think someone would like to work in their country,

we only (like all nomads) spend our money in Thailand, and we love this country a lot, but visa is hard.

28 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

This year we had 2 months, extended to 3. Then left for a month outside, and came back for another 2+1.

If we leave now, and ask another one within a week, is there a high probability for a failure ?

No problem in Laos or Vietnam (for example) to apply the same day you left.  But - be sure you comply with what the consulate requires - maybe flight, bank-statement, hotel-booking or condo-lease, etc.

Where will you be applying for the Visa?  Where did you get the last 2 Visas? 

From those answers a strategy for the next best choice can be offered.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

No problem in Laos or Vietnam (for example) to apply the same day you left.  But - be sure you comply with what the consulate requires - maybe flight, bank-statement, hotel-booking or condo-lease, etc.

Where will you be applying for the Visa?  Where did you get the last 2 Visas? 

From those answers a strategy for the next best choice can be offered.

Thanks! I am a western she is Vietnamese, we did it in Saigon twice this year.

For me it is always a piece of cake (have money), for her she most show bank account, and a Thai letter.

Basically we have a friend in Thailand who rent us her place, we have her ID, lease, letter, etc.

Still, have a feeling that if we leave now and ask a new within a few days-suspicious will arise.

Is it easier in Laos ? What are our options ?

BTW - Can we use the "new rule" that ends at 15 January - "leaving to a neighbor country" ? 

Actually your post/questions sum up lots of peoples frustration in your situation. I think your on safe side of having no problems. I assume your entering via airports in bkk. (Read JT advice posted above).

Just as little added plus...have funds with you. Also if have any hotel booking etc a print out would be handy etc. As for ticket outbound, others can advise you with more certainity , but Saigon required 60 a LONG time ago when my friend did it. There will be current info on thivisa. 

Aside comment, but you say Thai make it hard. How does say a UK citizen get a walk in gig to say Australia for a year. I think Thailand is VERY flexible re aliens in Thailand.

Added note, I was typing all this same time previous jt post. So some of my post obsolete

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Wouldn't it be much easier to just stay in Vietnam?

Every time when i make a visa run to Laos i see Vietnamese people who stay in Laos making visa runs to Thailand. So i assume Vietnamese people don't have the the limit of 2 entries at land border, so maybe it would be an option for your GF to just make visa runs between Thailand and Laos every 30 days to get a new visa exempt.

46 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Aside comment, but you say Thai make it hard. How does say a UK citizen get a walk in gig to say Australia for a year. I think Thailand is VERY flexible re aliens in Thailand. 

A UK citizen can just apply for a 1 year tourist visa for Australia, costs less than a 6 month METV for Thailand, and you he just stay for a year, no need to do visa runs or 90 day reports. All you need is some money in your bank. Way easier than Thailand ????

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

1.if you get the visa already - the guy in airport can still deny you ?

Yes. But highly unlikely to happen.

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

2. is there a rules for break between visas ? 

No. But the longer you stay out between visits the better. They, in most cases, are trying to stop people staying months/years on end as a tourist.

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

3. when they ask tickets back  - can we get them for 90 days and not for 60 days ? (assuming we extend) ?

That’s normally not a problem when getting the visa. But if an IO wants to see onward flights they are possibly looking to deny entry and would probably want to see a ticket out within the 60 day stay your visa allows. Demonstrating your intention to leave carries more weight than anything else.

Extensions are almost always given, but have to be applied for and are not a right.

Keep your work to yourself as it is technically illegal without permission, and declaring it can only go against you.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob4 said:

Thanks! I am a western she is Vietnamese, we did it in Saigon twice this year.

For me it is always a piece of cake (have money), for her she most show bank account, and a Thai letter.

Basically we have a friend in Thailand who rent us her place, we have her ID, lease, letter, etc.

Still, have a feeling that if we leave now and ask a new within a few days-suspicious will arise.

I would not keep returning to the same consulate.  I don't have info on the Thai Consulates in Vietnam towards VN citizens, but not ideal for a Westerner to keep going back there repeatedly - they will be denied at some point.

8 hours ago, Rob4 said:

Is it easier in Laos ? What are our options ?

Again - I cannot speak to a VN citizen's chances, since most reports here are Westerners.  I would assume no problem for her going once - maybe more.  Perhaps others can advise on how they treat folks from VN, PI, and other countries where wage-scales are lower than Thailand (hence, a valid concern about illegal working).

As to you - yes, you can probably do this 3x more times in Vientiane, getting the "remark" stamp on your passport the 3rd attempt.  Or, you could do it 2x more at Vientiane, then to to Savannakhet repeatedly until they say, "No more" (not reported to add "remark stamps" there).  At that point, come back over the bridge Visa-Exempt (one of 2x for the calendar year) and get a new passport.

Another option would be to go to Myanmar.  I would return by-land, though - not trust the airports will let you in (maybe even more difficult for her). 

Given you already have 2x TR-Visas in your passport, I cannot predict what KL or Penang might do.  It is possible you could get the "remark stamp" immediately.  Phnom Penh might even reject the visa entirely (you pay, but get it back with "VOID" on it).

8 hours ago, Rob4 said:

BTW - Can we use the "new rule" that ends at 15 January - "leaving to a neighbor country" ? 

I am not sure what they have actually done on that plan, other than try to lure in a few more "can barely afford the trip" Chinese, with free VOA.

There is also the ED Visa + extensions model.  Both of you could enroll in a language-school and stay 18 to 24 Mo per-language studied (24 mo if the school offers advanced courses).  There may be some payoffs through the school to immigration needed - even for valid students - depending on what imm-office you use - similar to the "agent fees" paid by many on other forms of extensions.  But that could give you some larger blocks of time. 

OTOH, maybe better to use the Tourist system now, in case more restrictions come into it soon.  There are no immigration-payoffs made using Tourist Visas, and they seem to be trying to ensure that fewer foreigners can avoid payoffs to stay (also affecting legitimate married and retired applicants).  When/if Tourist Visa use is further restricted, then you could go the ED route, since that system is already well-integrated into the institutional-corruption.

The "rules" are as clear as mud.  You must deal with both the regulations, as written, and local variations applied at each consulate, entry point into Thailand, and  immigration office. Often, it is down to your luck in how an individual immigration official views you. You can expect different rules to be applied for yourself and your Vietnamese girlfriend, though nothing in the written regulations suggests this should be the case.

It is my belief that, even at top levels of the government, there are differences of opinion over how to deal with long term visitors to Thailand. Some see the economic benefits of allowing those with money to spend as much time as they want in Thailand, only excepting those working illegally in a way that competes with Thais for jobs. Others (those with an antipathy towards foreigners, or some types of foreigners) feel that you should not be allowed just to turn up and live in Thailand.

The approach I suggest for the moment is:

• always enter with an actual visa, only using visa exempt entries for emergencies;
  • research which consulates can best be used to get tourist visas, with their individual rules; and
  • try to enter by land, not via airports, avoiding a problematic crossing at Poipet/Aran.

The lack of clarity is annoying to me also. At the current time, staying long term using tourist visas is possible, but becoming increasingly difficult.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The "rules" are as clear as mud.  You must deal with both the regulations, as written, and local variations applied at each consulate, entry point into Thailand, and  immigration office. Often, it is down to your luck in how an individual immigration official views you. You can expect different rules to be applied for yourself and your Vietnamese girlfriend, though nothing in the written regulations suggests this should be the case.

It is my belief that, even at top levels of the government, there are differences of opinion over how to deal with long term visitors to Thailand. Some see the economic benefits of allowing those with money to spend as much time as they want in Thailand, only excepting those working illegally in a way that competes with Thais for jobs. Others (those with an antipathy towards foreigners, or some types of foreigners) feel that you should not be allowed just to turn up and live in Thailand.

The approach I suggest for the moment is:

• always enter with an actual visa, only using visa exempt entries for emergencies;
  • research which consulates can best be used to get tourist visas, with their individual rules; and
  • try to enter by land, not via airports, avoiding a problematic crossing at Poipet/Aran.

The lack of clarity is annoying to me also. At the current time, staying long term using tourist visas is possible, but becoming increasingly difficult.

BritTim could explain this to me (also related to op situation. I fly to Saigon every 3 weeks just for a break. Live bkk with "retirement" extension. Anyway, when I check in at hcmc airport the airline person searches through my AU passport looking for a visa to Thai, even though if I didn't have one I could enter on au passport visa exempt. It happens every time so I just have corner of reentry permit stamp page folded so I can show her quickly. 

Edited by DrJack54
Error

Thanks, a lot(!). People here are really helpful and informative.

Something is strange - many say "get a new passport" , but wait, we are in 2018 - there are computers and servers - DO THEY KEEP A RECORD ON YOUR LAST VISIT AND LAST VISA ON THEIR ONLINE SYSTEM ?

If they do , why they ask "last date entrance" on the application form ? then how a new passport helps ?

If they don't  - isn't it strange ?? so pay another 1-2k BHT and make a new passport every year in BKK before leaving.

More interesting topics :

1. Language school is easy to provide a full year visa, and seems much cheaper than paying for flights and transports, if so, why everyone not just do that ? do most schools requires students to attend 80% of classes ? I'v also seen cooking school that allow not to come (but cost 8k BHT a month)

2. Everyone here talking on border runs to Laos - but we live in KP, not Chiang May.  Anyway, is going in by border is more safe ? they don't have the same online systems there to know everything about you ?

Bottom line - not do the new visa in the same agency ? go in from land ? (we are too spoiled) Laos is easier ?

Idea  - why not do a tourist visa (2+1), go out then go in with a simple 30 days visa (+30d), then out and in with another 60d tourist visa (then you have breaks with tourist visas) ? unless again they are connected online.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

if I didn't have one I could enter on au passport visa exempt

A requirement to get a visa exempt in Thailand is to have a flight out of Thailand within 30 days (usually immigration doesn't check for this).

But the checkin staff at the airport is aware of this rule, so when you check in they look at your passport if you have a visa or re entry permit, in case you would not have one they would ask you for a booking for a flight out of Thailand within 30 days.

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

BritTim could explain this to me (also related to op situation. I fly to Saigon every 3 weeks just for a break. Live bkk with "retirement" extension. Anyway, when I check in at hcmc airport the airline person searches through my AU passport looking for a visa to Thai, even though if I didn't have one I could enter on au passport visa exempt. It happens every time so I just have corner of reentry permit stamp page folded so I can show her quickly. 

I think they are looking for a visa because you probably do not have a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival that is a requirement for a visa exempt entry.

its a TOURIST visa.

if u are getting repeated Tourist visa's in se asia, immigration knows your not a tourist

tourist go on vacation and than go home an work for 4 months to xx years till they can afford their next vacation.

Everything nowadays is in the computer and even if u change passports, its there

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Something is strange - many say "get a new passport" , but wait, we are in 2018 - there are computers and servers - DO THEY KEEP A RECORD ON YOUR LAST VISIT AND LAST VISA ON THEIR ONLINE SYSTEM ?

Getting a new passport is mostly for getting additional tourist visas at an embassy or consulate since they only thing they can see is your previous visas in your passport. They have no access to immigrations records of entries and departures.

Immigration does have records of your entries and departures.

8 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

1. Language school is easy to provide a full year visa, and seems much cheaper than paying for flights and transports, if so, why everyone not just do that ? do most schools requires students to attend 80% of classes ? I'v also seen cooking school that allow not to come (but cost 8k BHT a month)

2. Everyone here talking on border runs to Laos - but we live in KP, not Chiang May.  Anyway, is going in by border is more safe ? they don't have the same online systems there to know everything about you ?

1. Attending a language school does not a allow you to get a one year visa. You get a single entry non-ed visa that allows one 90 day entry and then you have to apply for 90 day extensions at immigration. You are allowed a total stay of one year including the 90 day entry from from the non-ed visa.

2. Not sure where KP is. Border runs to Laos are not required if you only want a visa exempt entry or to use a multiple entry visa. You can cross the border to Myanmar, Cambodia or Malaysia dependent upon where you are living. 

Laos is most often mentioned for getting new visas since there is a embassy in Vientiane and a consulate Savannakhet that is just across the Mekong river from Thailand.

Id like to Chime in here.........I came to Thailand in January 2018.....From the UK

Feb-April (Single Tourist Visa from UK 2M +1M Extension)

May-July (1 week in Bali outside of thailand, granted Single Tourist Visa 2M +1 M Extension)

July- August (30 day exempt Cambodia visa run)

September - November (Non B Visa from Laos ......as start working as a teacher for 90 days but left job on 90th day)

November (Just came back today from 1 week in bali , granted Single Tourist) ......

No questions asked at DMK today about money (20k baht proof) , proof of travel etc)

So ive been in the Thailand nearly the whole year on different types of visas.....only 2 weeks out of the country in about 40 weeks

I think where you're going to have the real problem...... is if you are doing back to back visa exempt stays............and not paying the money for a tourist visa

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

There is also the ED Visa + extensions model.  Both of you could enroll in a language-school and stay 18 to 24 Mo per-language studied (24 mo if the school offers advanced courses).

1. What is the '"new rule" that ends at 15 January - "leaving to a neighbor country"'? Sounds interesting...

2. Which languages are allowed for ED Visa? It seems I've heard that Mandarin is allowed, along with Thai. Any others?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

If they do , why they ask "last date entrance" on the application form ? then how a new passport helps ? 

If they don't  - isn't it strange ?? so pay another 1-2k BHT and make a new passport every year in BKK before leaving.

Thai Consulates are part of the MFA and do not have access to the Thai Immigration database.  Consulate personnel will say, "You have to get a new passport before we can issue you a new Tourist Visa," if they see the "remark stamp" on a Thai-Visa in it.

OTOH, Immigration knows all your comings and goings - so the only advantage of a new passport with them, is it takes less time to enter, because they seem to examine every used page in your entire passport.

If you do the Thai-Consulate dance properly, you should get about 2 years out of each passport.

7 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

You get paperwork, go out for a Visa (Laos consulate, usually), and are stamped in for 90-days.  Then you apply for 90-day extensions via immigration for the rest of the year.  Then, the process repeats with a new visa, extensions, etc.  Good schools will offer a "no hassle extension" package (3K to 5K Baht every extension), so that immigration won't give you shorter extensions, "language quizzes," etc - as punishment for not paying them off. 

Schools may also offer "no attendance" packages - but I would recommend attending, and documenting your attendance on your phone (short vid of each class-start session) - just in case you are ever accused of not attending.  "CYA" - as they say.  Given the hell some have reported at airports with ED Visas/extensions, the ED money-chain seems less comprehensive than the "agent-extension" packages used by retired and "married to a Thai" persons.  Do not attempt to leave and return to the country by air while on an ED extension with re-entry permit; use land-borders only (not Poipet/Aranya).

13 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Immigration see it all.  The difference is, at the Bangkok airports, they enforce "non published rules" which they claim exist concerning how much time you can spend in Thailand on Tourist-type entries.  But the rejection-stamps they use do not reflect these rules, and those rules are cited no where else (and Poipet/Aranya).  So, it appears to me that they are executing their own agenda.  There appears to be no oversight to stop them, so all one can do is avoid them.

21 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

go in from land ? (we are too spoiled) Laos is easier ?

Making it a PITA is the point of the exercise.  There is no money to be made for immigration from Tourist Visas.  Thankfully, they haven't seen the need to buy off every entry-point.  To better understand the nature of the system, imagine the "Scarface" movie-character saying, "Wouldn't you rather just fork over 500K baht (or more) for an 'elite visa', or pay us quarterly for ED-extensions, to make the hassles stop?" 

18 minutes ago, Rob4 said:

Idea  - why not do a tourist visa (2+1), go out then go in with a simple 30 days visa (+30d), then out and in with another 60d tourist visa (then you have breaks with tourist visas) ? unless again they are connected online.

Visa-Exempts are granted by immigration (Visas by the MFA).  Yes, you could do this - and some do - but I recommend saving visa-exempts for emergencies - excepting perhaps using one at the end of a calendar year.  Also, be aware there is a "count" of Visa-Exempts ever used (since 2015), which creates an "alert" on their systems when you reach six total.  It would seem that alert only makes a difference at the Bangkok airports and Poipet/Aranya - but who knows in the future.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The airline is looking for a visa (or re-entry permit) because, if you do not have one and are planning to enter visa exempt, you must have an onward flight ticket out of Thailand. If they did not find your visa, they would ask to see your flight reservation.

I feel tired, don't want this anymore, they do everything to take me out of their country, although I put my money here and don't take anything from them (financially ).

Our problem as a mixed couple is that because we are not married, and because Vietnam is like hell for me, we have no where to stay other than Thailand (which I love so much) for the next year till things clear.

Now, after going in and out, we are kind of locked , we finish in Dec second visa, and I am not sure we can go back in.

I still wonder if go out (Vietnam or Laos is better?) for a few days, even a week, then go back in, will gives us another 2M tourist visa or a denial. We both too busy for a language school now.

I am tired of booking flight tickets that I can not use because of this rule to book them for 60 days and not 90 (after extension ), paying so much on transportation, visas, time, effort, for another..... 3 months.

Sad. Tired.

Maybe its time to go. It's just hard for her to get visa anywhere else.

???? 

1 hour ago, Rob4 said:

Our problem as a mixed couple is that because we are not married, and because Vietnam is like hell for me, we have no where to stay other than Thailand (which I love so much) for the next year till things clear.

Bummer you don't like Vietnam.  I was wondering why you were not staying there, since visas for Westerners are not difficult.

Now, after going in and out, we are kind of locked , we finish in Dec second visa, and I am not sure we can go back in.

I still wonder if go out (Vietnam or Laos is better?) for a few days, even a week, then go back in, will gives us another 2M tourist visa or a denial.

If you enter with a Tourist Visa and enter by safe land-borders, I do not see why you would be denied entry.  As per above, time to start using Laos.  For you a year + of visas there.  Maybe her as well, though I am not sure what the policy is for VN citizens.

We both too busy for a language school now.

I am tired of booking flight tickets that I can not use because of this rule to book them for 60 days and not 90 (after extension ), paying so much on transportation, visas, time, effort, for another..... 3 months.

In Vientiane - which should be good for at least 2 visas w/o a "remark stamp" - no flight or hotel or bank-balance proof is required.  You just need money + application-form + some copies + passport.

At Savannakhet, which would come next, you can book the flight-out ticket 90-days in advance (some other consulates are 60 days).

Maybe after that, you can reconsider the language-school option - or get a new passport and start at more difficult consulates first, so you can get 2+ years out of it.

Edited by JackThompson

5 hours ago, Scott3000 said:

Thanks for the comment... still, the answer to my question is hard to find, especially in Chiang Mai.

So far, I've found Pro Language School Chiang Mai offers ED visas for Thai, English, and Mandarin. 

http://www.prolanguage.co.th/chiang-mai-branch/

A tangential option - there is a "self defense" course offered in CM, which is taught by ex-military.  Purportedly no problem at all with your visa-extensions with them, due to connections. 

I haven't lived up there, and do not know what school-options exist - but be sure to ask how they handle extensions, and if there is an extra-cost you pay the school to do this.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

A tangential option - there is a "self defense" course offered in CM, which is taught by ex-military.  Purportedly no problem at all with your visa-extensions with them, due to connections. 

Thanks Jack!

This thread is proving most informative!