Trump says Brexit agreement may hamper U.S.-British trade; UK differs

webfact

Trump says Brexit agreement may hamper U.S.-British trade; UK differs

2018-11-26T221723Z_6_LYNXNPEEAP1M4_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Trump talks to reporters as he departs the White House for travel to Mississippi in Washington, U.S. November 26, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday the agreement allowing the United Kingdom to leave the European Union may make trade between Washington and London more difficult, but the UK prime minister's office disputed his interpretation.

Trump told reporters outside the White House that the deal sounded like it would be good for the European Union, but "I think we have to take a look seriously whether or not the UK is allowed to trade.

"Because right now if you look at the deal, they may not be able to trade with us," he said. "And that wouldn't be a good thing. I don't think they meant that."

He said he hoped British Prime Minister Theresa May would be able to address the problem, but he did not specify which provision of the deal he was concerned about.

A spokeswoman for May's office said the agreement struck with the EU allowed the UK to sign trade deals with countries throughout the world, including with the United States.

"We have already been laying the groundwork for an ambitious agreement with the U.S. through our joint working groups, which have met five times so far," the spokeswoman said.

Under the deal secured with EU leaders on Sunday, the UK will leave the bloc in March with continued close trade ties. But the odds look stacked against May getting it approved by a divided British parliament.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Additional reporting by Alistair Smout in London; Writing by Makini Brice and Doina Chiacu; Editing by Susan Thomas and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-27

3 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Britain would e better off without the USA. There are better Trade opportunities in the World.

Britain has much to contribute to the World Community the USA has outstayed its welcome.

And indeed, more trade with China, encourage more Chinese tourists to come to Britain, it's a good thing.
????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I doubt that is anything new... he knows what he knows and nothing is going to change his mind... it is just the way it is... (closed mind)

Trump is not supporting Brexit because of British interests, he supports it because Trump does not support multilateralism, does not support WTO or the EU... because he believes it gets in the way of the US being able to use unilateral economic power to bully others into the best terms for the US.  US First, US Only, and the rest of you can eat crumbs that fall from the table.

Of course. He's doing what those who elected him expected and wanted - putting America first and stuff everyone else.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

US agriculture are preparing to lay waste to British agriculture while US medical/insurance/Pharma are eagerly awaiting their opportunity to plunder and strip bare the NHS.

Enjoy.

Really? One of Trump's first acts as POTUS was to throw out the TTIP deal with the EU. Please justify your scaremongering hyerbole?

• Like 2

Another day...another idiotic statement from the mouth of the Cheeto in Chief. 

If there was ever a person who would directly benefit from just keeping his mouth closed it's this man but I can't imagine that's going to happen in the foreseeable future. 

I do dream of just one day where I don't have to listen to his nonsense. Is that too much to ask?

I think it might. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim1000 said:

Who told him to say that ?

Some ministers in the UK ?  Sounds like Trump is afraid of the brexit deal with EU; also sounds like a lot of ministers don't like it either. Understanding the deal is way beyond me so good to have TV posters who do understand it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tug said:

I doubt Donald knows what he is talking about

I don't doubt about that.

Before he was saying  the UK need to get out the EU and now say this. No where is writen or said the UK can't do business with the UK or any country they like to.