Russian tourist injured, left stranded by Pattaya bus

webfact

Russian tourist injured, left stranded by Pattaya bus

By The Nation

pp.jpg

FILE photo

A Russian woman was injured when a songtaew bus braked suddenly early Wednesday morning, then left her stranded after the accident on a Pattaya road.

The emergency centre of the Sawang Boribun Thammasathan Pattaya was called at 3.30am to provide assistance to a Russian woman with a head wound at the Theppaya Intersection in Tambon Nong Plue in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district.

The tourist was identified as Vera Ivanova, 26. She received first aid from rescuers and was sent to a nearby hospital.

Sakda Kulmart, 19, who works at a nearby Family Mart store, called the emergency centre after the tourist sought help. Sakda said the tourist told him that a songtaew (two-row) pick-up bus suddenly stopped resulting in the passenger hitting her head hard on the iron bar. The driver then told her to get down and sped off.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359431

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-28

That was a bad driver. I had a similar, less severe experience where erratic driving caused an injury that resulted in lot of bleeding. I could tell the driver felt really bad about it and was willing to help. As it happened I didn't think about asking for compensation or anything like that. I just stayed on the bus, bleeding out (applied pressure with a handkerchief), until he passed a pharmacy and then I got off and luckily the pharmacy was ready to help me with first aid for the wound. The driver waived the 10 baht fare but I could tell he would have done more if demanded. (For example for a more severe wound, call an ambulance and not run away.) Just saying, they're not all bad. Of course some or many are. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

I wonder who is officially responsible for accidents like this. And who pays i.e. for medical treatment?

Let's assume for a moment the driver was not drunk or high and he had to break.

I am sure I saw somewhere a sign that people should hold on to something when they sit in the back.

So who is responsible if a passenger gets injured?

I don't have an answer, this is an open question.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:04 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder who is officially responsible for accidents like this. And who pays i.e. for medical treatment?

Let's assume for a moment the driver was not drunk or high and he had to break.

I am sure I saw somewhere a sign that people should hold on to something when they sit in the back.

So who is responsible if a passenger gets injured?

I don't have an answer, this is an open question.

Probably should be considered an accident. No-one responsible, it just happened. A mishap. If she had travel insurance, this is exactly what it is for.