Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

A second Brexit referendum is now essential

https://www.ft.com/content/d69fe31e-38f0-11e9-b856-5404d3811663

In the end, the rhetoric about “taking back control” has come down to a choice between suicide and vassalage. This march of folly needs to be stopped, for the UK’s sake and Europe’s. The only politically acceptable way to do this is via another referendum. That is risky. But it would be better than sure disaster.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aright said:

Understanding requires both parties to listen to the perspectives of others. Unfortunately when you look down on something you render yourself incapable of understanding it.

Addressing three words out of a sentence is hardly constructive comment but par for the course, nothing like distorting context to try and make a point.

Whichever way you want to shake it, history has proved that the actions of the people are not always in the national interest.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

An unsuprising opinion coming from the FT......

Edit - Some posters believe it to be unbiased 'gospel' - but it's not.  It's extremely biased towards it's 'audience'.

In spite of being a somewhat extreme libertarian/lefty politically, I like the FT. It's not unbiased, but that target audience is people who are primarily interested in making money. Now having a vibrant economy isn't everything, but it makes life more tolerant to most people.

Brexiters may rattle on about sovereignty, but I suspect most of them would still prefer to be able to afford a frozen French chicken from Tesco's than having to survive on fresh caught sewer rat if it came down to that. 

So It's not gospel, but normally well informed opinion   something that missing from most of the rest of the press, even the broadsheets these days.

Not only that some of the comments there can be more insightful than the articles themselves,   I just wish we had the same level here ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, tebee said:

In spite of being a somewhat extreme libertarian/lefty politically, I like the FT. It's not unbiased, but that target audience is people who are primarily interested in making money. Now having a vibrant economy isn't everything, but it makes life more tolerant to most people.

Brexiters may rattle on about sovereignty, but I suspect most of them would still prefer to be able to afford a frozen French chicken from Tesco's than having to survive on fresh caught sewer rat if it came down to that. 

So It's not gospel, but normally well informed opinion   something that missing from most of the rest of the press, even the broadsheets these days.

Not only that some of the comments there can be more insightful than the articles themselves,   I just wish we had the same level here ! 

Tesco's have fresh rat now? Rat au vin. Lovely, Baldrick!

(a high-level comment, not just a RATtle about sovereignty) :cheesy:

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Addressing three words out of a sentence is hardly constructive comment but par for the course, nothing like distorting context to try and make a point.

Whichever way you want to shake it, history has proved that the actions of the people are not always in the national interest.

Your usual stranking response when you have no constructive reply... "Distorting Context."

As for your last sentence...….when all else fails try the obvious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tebee said:

In spite of being a somewhat extreme libertarian/lefty politically, I like the FT. It's not unbiased,

Not unbiased? You can say that again!

The FT "is in favour of globalisation, as well as globalist policies". . . "The FT's editorials tend to be europhilic, supporting the European Union. . . " - Wikipedia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tebee said:

In spite of being a somewhat extreme libertarian/lefty politically,

Just to show where I stand in the political spectrum !

So I'm not following the FT because of my politics....

Fullscreen capture 2152019 124456 AM.bmp.jpg

1 hour ago, tebee said:

Nothing? That's pretty normal. Gov has no ideas left.

The pro Brexit propaganda is getting flatter and flatter.

British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts overseas on almost the same terms as they do now.

If the companies of the UK were not able to get any bid orders before Brexit, they will not get any after brexit either. on the contrary, if additional tariffs have to be taken into account.

What Liam Fox happily announces as a success, is a joke.

Remember "we hold all the cards" and "German car maker will make sure we get a good deal" 

German Companies Have a Brexit Plan: Send the Bill to the Brits

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-27/german-companies-have-a-brexit-plan-send-the-bill-to-the-brits

“Our company didn’t cause Brexit, so why should we suffer for it,” Axel Kiehne, sales manager at Dr. Kaiser Diamantwerkzeuge GmbH & Co. KG -- a maker of machine tools for high-precision grinding -- said at the event. “It might sound harsh, but the costs should be borne by the British companies.”

56 minutes ago, tebee said:

Remember "we hold all the cards" and "German car maker will make sure we get a good deal" 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-27/german-companies-have-a-brexit-plan-send-the-bill-to-the-brits

“Our company didn’t cause Brexit, so why should we suffer for it,” Axel Kiehne, sales manager at Dr. Kaiser Diamantwerkzeuge GmbH & Co. KG -- a maker of machine tools for high-precision grinding -- said at the event. “It might sound harsh, but the costs should be borne by the British companies.”

tall call

UK government should compensate German car industry for possible reductions in profit

due to Brexit

bah bah bo bo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

An unsuprising opinion coming from the FT......

Edit - Some posters believe it to be unbiased 'gospel' - but it's not.  It's extremely biased towards it's 'audience'.

This says more about the poster's abilities to read and comprehend the media than it does about the message.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The pro Brexit propaganda is getting flatter and flatter.

British businesses will be able to continue bidding for public sector contracts overseas on almost the same terms as they do now.

If the companies of the UK were not able to get any bid orders before Brexit, they will not get any after brexit either. on the contrary, if additional tariffs have to be taken into account.

What Liam Fox happily announces as a success, is a joke.

...and the hope of WTO coming to the rescue is a joke!

• Like 1

tall call
UK government should compensate German car industry for possible reductions in profit
due to Brexit

bah bah bo bo

Great, let’s go for a compensatory price increase in German cars, in fact all imports from Germany. We can add those to extra tariffs too. They soon wouldn’t be worth buying. Germanic/EU entitlement at its best.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2019 at 1:31 AM, 7by7 said:

In another topic I have been accused of being a leftie, PC, Guardian and Independent reading Remainer and quotes I have produced from both sources have been dismissed because "both papers contain nothing on this subject except Remainer propaganda!"

Yet here you are using quotes from both papers to support Brexit!

Perhaps you should get together with Laughing Gravy, Loiner, nauseus, Nontabury and others and decide whether these papers are reliable sources or not.

Or are they, like for example the BBC, reliable when they are a source of pro Brexit opinion or facts, but biased left wing rubbish when a source of the same for Remain?

Yeah well, some people think that Farage is an idiot and don't believe a word he says, but then quote ad nauseam one thing he said prior to the vote about narrow victories not being the end of things, like it has some deep and significant meaning.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tebee said:

A bit desperate, eh? Is his middle name Bill?

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

customer doesn't have to buy they have choice to seek alternative or not to buy. There are many British built vehicles currently in use some are more than 60 years old and still going strong with plenty of spare parts available 

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

Great, let’s go for a compensatory price increase in German cars, in fact all imports from Germany. We can add those to extra tariffs too. They soon wouldn’t be worth buying. Germanic/EU entitlement at its best.

I must say I will miss the daily entertainment of Brexiteers making a fool of themselves once the whole thing is over. It’s a bit like Love Island except that it’s not scripted, or my toddler nephew except that his explanations of his little world are actually cute. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tebee said:

“Our company didn’t cause Brexit, so why should we suffer for it,” Axel Kiehne, sales manager at Dr. Kaiser Diamantwerkzeuge GmbH & Co. KG -- a maker of machine tools for high-precision grinding -- said at the event. “It might sound harsh, but the costs should be boruyne by the British companies.”

I haven't read the full article, but suspect it refers to brits buying their cars should pay more in the result of increased costs as a result of brexit?  It's obviously not going to be either companies or the uk govt. that pays more for their product, unless it's passed on to the consumer.

Edited by dick dasterdly