I need to find someone to help my wife with her studies.

ubonr1971

My wife is Thai and is doing part time studies. She has to listen to audios from an American lecturer but finds it hard to keep up. She wants me to listen to them and type up in Word docs so that she can read and listen at the same time. 

I write to ask for help from anyone who has time on their hands to assist me. I obviously cannot pay money. I have about 40 audios to do. 

It might suit a retiree who wants to keep their brain active. Its just a matter of slowly listening to the audio. Stop / start and type it up. 

Please PM me if you can assist. 

many thanks

• Haha 1

Maybe look into some speech to text software, I think google even provides a free one. Translation software or sites may even do speech to Thai text.

Not really understanding keeping up with an audio recording, isnt that the whole idea, you can stop rewind and listen again. 

Maybe enquire with the university if they offer transcriptions of lectures or a transcription service, a high possibility if they have deaf students etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Google SPEECH to TEXT.

https://support.google.com/docs/answer/4492226?hl=en

You beat me to it Peter.

I just tested it with the audio and was impressed with teh start. After 3 lines it just stopped on me. I suspect the american accent is too slow. I tried slowing down the speed. but it didnt work

I think the only option is doing it manually. 

I would be incredibly grateful if someone can assist me

1 hour ago, ubonr1971 said:

I just tested it with the audio and was impressed with teh start. After 3 lines it just stopped on me. I suspect the american accent is too slow. I tried slowing down the speed. but it didnt work

Google IS American. 

The purpose of the exercise seems to be to listen and understand. If you write everything down for her this becomes a reading and not a listening exercise and her listening skills will hardly improve, so what would be the purpose then?

If you really want to help her tell her to just listen to it and in case she really can't understand a certain word she should ask you.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Maybe this could help.

• Haha 1

Speaking and listening should be done completely separate to any reading and writing activities. 

You will notice loads of Thais that can read easily as they understand a lot of the English phonetic alphabet, however they couldn't string a coherent sentence together on their own. 

If you want her speaking and listening to improve what you're asking to do is a very bad idea. 

3 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Speaking and listening should be done completely separate to any reading and writing activities. 

You will notice loads of Thais that can read easily as they understand a lot of the English phonetic alphabet, however they couldn't string a coherent sentence together on their own. 

If you want her speaking and listening to improve what you're asking to do is a very bad idea. 

She doesnt care about speaking or listening skills. She is a medical professional and wants to improve herself in her job

5 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

She doesnt care about speaking or listening skills. She is a medical professional and wants to improve herself in her job

Fair enough. Maybe you will have to dictate them yourself then for her at a slower pace. 

17 minutes ago, ubonr1971 said:

The fact that she doesn't care is the root of the problem.

Why is she even doing part-time studies, if she doesn't want to follow the course plan?

Furthermore, if she doesn't care about speaking or listening skills, why is she using audio materials for lectures?

The audios could be slowed down without changing the pitch so that she could 'keep up'

It can be done with Audacity or online or with other software.

Put 'slow down audio without changing pitch' in your favourite search engine and go from there.

There's lots of negativity, some of it warranted.

Make a deck of 1## words related to her study needs at quizlet.com. Work through the words. When she has memorized the words, she can use the audio to hear the words. This is important because if she doesn't know the word/s she obviously cannot understand what's being said.

Next use vlc to play the audio. You can set the speed so you'll want to slow it down.

Listen in chunks of 20 seconds and build from there.

All the above is presuming that her listening skills in English are excellent considering she's transcribing medical logs. 

If not she first needs to go back and develop these skills. There are many excellent sites on the web free resources for this.

Medical transcribing internet jobs are a scam. She'll never be fast enough, even L1 not fast enough and recordings often unclear.

On 11/29/2018 at 10:29 AM, ubonr1971 said:

Not too grateful if unwilling to pay.

The fact is that unless someone is a relative or a close friend then I very much doubt if a complete stranger or strangers will offer to assist you for free.

Have you tried searching online a Google search to see if there are any text versions of the audios?

• Like 1

I'm sure this chap runs a biz in Thailand and he's asking for handouts for professional wife. I like his style but what an absolute scrooge. I'd love to hear these audio files why don't you just upload them and someone may type it out anyway. I'd just like to hear them as I bet you anything my isan farm Mrs would understand 80% and be able to write it at the audios  pace and if she could not she certainly would never have the gall to admit defeat.

Op and Mrs have some balls tho

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I'm sure this chap runs a biz in Thailand and he's asking for handouts for professional wife. I like his style but what an absolute scrooge. I'd love to hear these audio files why don't you just upload them and someone may type it out anyway. I'd just like to hear them as I bet you anything my isan farm Mrs would understand 80% and be able to write it at the audios  pace and if she could not she certainly would never have the gall to admit defeat.

Certainly appears that way.

The OP seems to want those audios translated into text files wholesale. Suspect.

13 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Not too grateful if unwilling to pay.

The fact is that unless someone is a relative or a close friend then I very much doubt if a complete stranger or strangers will offer to assist you for free.

Have you tried searching online a Google search to see if there are any text versions of the audios?

you are completely wrong. I have 2 guys offering help right now. 

13 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

your issan bar girl wife would not be able to understand several of the medical words. way out of her league sorry mate

• Haha 1