SURVEY: Facebook, worth it or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Facebook, worth it or not?  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, smotherb said:

The gullible have always had a rough go at it. FB is not the cause of that, it may simply provide another vehicle to reach them. I think fb and other social media provide a needed service--it is good to be able to keep in touch with loved ones, relatives and friends.  However, you should avoid being gullible and providing personal information. And, that is difficult to do.

Some good points, however I dislike how controlling it is.

I also have concerns about misuse.

When my granddaughter was in P6 her school got a new Thai IT teacher. The first thing she did was teach all the kids how to join facebook, all with fake birthdays because P6 kids way too young to join / for their real birthdays to be accepted to join.

Within 24 hours several of the kids (girls and boys) received posts asking 'can I buy you an ice-cream', 'can you come to Big C to meet me after school', etc.

Many kids in their naivety showed their parents, and many parents went quickly to the school and complained.

Headmistress instructed the IT teacher to cancel all the membership immediately and with a deadline time for them all to be deleted.  IT teacher was adamant she did nothing wrong.

The parents demanded that the headmistress issue an instruction to all teachers that they must never do anything like this again.  

Another example, I worked with a Thai lady about 30 years old, she posted everything on her facebook page, including a scan of the chanut for her condo with full address, plus photos of the keypad at the front door of her condo building and the keycode, photos of her car and the blue book, her passport and Thai ID card, and more.

Plus she posted every personal activity, e.g. 'I'm leaving the office in 2 minutes, should be at my condo room about 625 pm. 

Her work colleagues pleaded with her to remove all the photos, personal documents etc. She just laughed.

Eventually she got home one evening pressed the code number on the lock for her condo door, and instantly a man quickly appeared from around the corner, pushed her into her room, molested her, stole her bag and car keys, and some gold and fled.

He was caught a few hours later. The police pushed her to remove all the photos, info., etc., from her f/book account, she refused because she wanted her friends to know her details.

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Benroon said:

You claim only the gullible would get sucked in and finish by saying it’s difficult to stay safe ?  Which is it ? 

Can you read? I did not say "only the gullible" and it is difficult to stay safe when anything you enter is captured and analyzed.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Some good points, however I dislike how controlling it is.

I also have concerns about misuse.

When my granddaughter was in P6 her school got a new Thai IT teacher. The first thing she did was teach all the kids how to join facebook, all with fake birthdays because P6 kids way too young to join / for their real birthdays to be accepted to join.

Within 24 hours several of the kids (girls and boys) received posts asking 'can I buy you an ice-cream', 'can you come to Big C to meet me after school', etc.

Many kids in their naivety showed their parents, and many parents went quickly to the school and complained.

Headmistress instructed the IT teacher to cancel all the membership immediately and with a deadline time for them all to be deleted.  IT teacher was adamant she did nothing wrong.

The parents demanded that the headmistress issue an instruction to all teachers that they must never do anything like this again.  

Another example, I worked with a Thai lady about 30 years old, she posted everything on her facebook page, including a scan of the chanut for her condo with full address, plus photos of the keypad at the front door of her condo building and the keycode, photos of her car and the blue book, her passport and Thai ID card, and more.

Plus she posted every personal activity, e.g. 'I'm leaving the office in 2 minutes, should be at my condo room about 625 pm. 

Her work colleagues pleaded with her to remove all the photos, personal documents etc. She just laughed.

Eventually she got home one evening pressed the code number on the lock for her condo door, and instantly a man quickly appeared from around the corner, pushed her into her room, molested her, stole her bag and car keys, and some gold and fled.

He was caught a few hours later. The police pushed her to remove all the photos, info., etc., from her f/book account, she refused because she wanted her friends to know her details.

Gee, did you read what I said? " However, you should avoid being gullible and providing personal information. And, that is difficult to do. "

I don't use Facebook. I did sign up for it but I never posted a single thing. People kept friending me so I deactivated the account. Mr. Google already knows more about me than I know about myself, so it is not that I feel the need to keep everything from Big Brother. Just keeping people you know from knowing everything and I don't want to waste the time responding to questions and the like.

Some people post a little too frequently photos of little interest about their daily lives but this is balanced out by the many genuinely interesting posts from friends and family

I don't mind receiving ads based on my 'preferences' it works I often browse some of the sites offered and it keeps the crappy celeb news off my radar

I use messenger to keep contact with groups and family, and by now people have adjusted, as I don't take my phone to work, easier to drop a message and I will pick it up in the evening

Don't really give out a lot of personal stuff, people I communicate with as friends know me anyway, a few photos of family now and again birthday wishes and the like is about all

2 hours ago, Benroon said:

Sorry you said 'the gullible have had it tough' right ?

Yeah that's a lot different isn't it !

Yeah, that is a statement of belief--I think the gullible have had it tough, they get taken too often.

However, the word "gullible" was from the poster to whom I responded, check it and see.

"The creator of F.B. Purity (which stands for Facebook Purity or Fluff Busting Purity, depending on whose side you’re on) claims Facebook’s legal team has ousted him – or her – for violating the terms of conditions."

I still manage with just an email account.    I find Facebook to be the Great Satan.

I believe that was in 2012. It appears that FBP is still being worked on with updates regularly released.

it's a good point of contact for friends in my home country so I use the Messenger app and apart from some news groups theres little of interest to me. The banalitiess of life that people post only serve to irritate.

"Here's my dog, shes so cute"......."Heres my baby doing baby things, she's so cute"......"Ive got a cold....pity me"......."Im wearing a poppy for Rememberance Day, see how respectful Iam" ......."Im posting some inspirational Quote ...... see how intelligent and cool Iam"

excuse my cynicism but are any of you interested in what I had for breakfast? Maybe Im getting old.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nikmar said:

it's a good point of contact for friends in my home country so I use the Messenger app and apart from some news groups theres little of interest to me. The banalitiess of life that people post only serve to irritate.

"Here's my dog, shes so cute"......."Heres my baby doing baby things, she's so cute"......"Ive got a cold....pity me"......."Im wearing a poppy for Rememberance Day, see how respectful Iam" ......."Im posting some inspirational Quote ...... see how intelligent and cool Iam"

excuse my cynicism but are any of you interested in what I had for breakfast? Maybe Im getting old.

Certainly Facebook per se isn't interested in you at  all.     It is, however, interested in collecting every possible bit of personal information it can about you and everyone else.   

This is all in the name of directing meaningful advertising at you and others.

Wondering about this I discovered that worldwide ad revenue comes to less than 600 billion USD per year.    I question how so relatively little revenue can be the motivation for all these companies to collect personal information.