Decent quality garden/building tools

cheeryble

Hi

I once bought a spade at a major store.

It literally folded double on literally the first dig.

We've just had a house built and now need a set of stuff like spade, shovel, wheelbarrow that ain;t necessarily super expensive but is built to last.

Where to go? What should I need to spend?

thanks

ps would love to find some real white oil based undercoat......anyone seen?

Home Pro had some decent stuff some years ago, do not know about now.

Careful to use the tools the way Thais do.  Most digging is done with a farmer's hoe.  There are some strong spades around usually welded onto a steel pipe handle.  Shovel is used for digging only after hoe or spade has loosened the dirt.

The steel welded wheel barrows are strong and last, the ones like your construction guys used to move concrete.  Fancy ones may be pretty but ???

I have has good luck with the plastic rakes from home pro but workers are often more familiar with the traditional bamboo ones.

I don't remember prices.

Congratulations on the house completion.

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

I was reliably informed that the big store in the central airport Plaza carpark (forget its name,Home Bargains??) now carries good quality western garden forks at a reasonable price.

It was such an unbelievable statement I vowed to check it out immediately...…...I didn't!

But you can and let us know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I was reliably informed that the big store in the central airport Plaza carpark (forget its name,Home Bargains??) now carries good quality western garden forks at a reasonable price.

It was such an unbelievable statement I vowed to check it out immediately...…...I didn't!

But you can and let us know.

Good morning Mr Eyecatcher it's Baan and Beyond.

Global is nearer but it sounds worth a look.

Thanks to all.

Yes Dante actually I'm all in favour of the hoe as swinging something down like that is I feel a good way to get a lot of energy into a quite small blade.

But the hoe aint great at getting the dirt you've just cut out of the hole so a spade would be good for that (shovel too big for that job) I was hoeing out clay yesterday damn I'd forgotten how heavy it is......or could it be that I turned 70 same day?

Anyway a blister stopped play after a half hour!

TOP TIP

The clay was kinda dry.

Mum said spray some water in the hole.

It made it amazingly easier.

I also got covered in clay-spray to their great amusement.

Edited by cheeryble

5 minutes ago, seajae said:

Global House has good quality spades/shovels, I actually had a couple sent from overseas before finding quality ones at global house, was quite surprised.

Thanks .....looks like I'll start there.

The area is kinda lumpy.

Presumably wheelbarrows need inflatable tyres or is there an alternative these days?

I have a bike pump.

Edited by cheeryble

5 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Thanks .....looks like I'll start there.

The area is kinda lumpy.

Presumably wheelbarrows need inflatable tyres or is there an alternative these days?

I have a bike pump.

inflatable tires not needed and are troublesome, get solid tire type

• Like 1

Have a hoe, pointed spade and rebar rake now. Spade a better size for shoveling with my dodgy shoulder than the large square shovels.

Held off on the barrow to look around....it looked a bit lightweight.

Having said that maybe I don’t need heavy loads I’m not a nipper any more.

Seems to me a largest fattest posssible tyre would go across lumpy ground best....

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Go to the big plant market behind TescoLotus at KhamThiam, on the road in, pass the office on your right hand side, carry on for about 100m and there is a tool store again on your right, run by an elderly chinese who speaks good english. I bought a robust fork (japanese made) for about Thb400 and a good spade there.

• Like 1

There's a big place Google calls "Building Material Store หจก.ตันสุหัช" on Mae Jo Road outbound on the left hand side past Ruamchok and before the Outer Ring Road. 

https://goo.gl/maps/FjC3Vmzq3dv

Sort of place Thai tradesmen go to and it has everything at a cheap price. 

HomePro is ok but these guys have a far better range of everything and better prices.

• Like 1