If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? (2018)

CharlieH

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my greatest musical regrets was turning down the offer of a ticket to see Godspeed! You Black Emperor in the mid 90s. At the time I had never heard of them and the offer came from a friend who had a penchant for thrash metal so I assumed that they would not be to my taste. Very shortly afterwards I have discovered just how exciting and creative a band they are. This is one track that may be familiar to some - it was used as the theme tune to the zombie movie, 28 Days Later.

Having missed out on Godspeed, I did get to see Mogwai just after they released the album Young Team. They finished their set with this track, Mogwai Fear Satan. I seem to recall that much of the audience was in a daze afterwards - an absolute powerhouse of a track that blew me away with its raw energy.

The ability to change tempo and mood successfully, the hallmark of many a great musician.

Thanks for this, I’m painting the house right now so earphones plugged in the iPod and away I go [emoji51]
Long time since I played any Dire Straits but this album brings back great memories !!

A far cry from the stardom of the late 70’s and most of the 80’s ( with a short reprise in the early 90’s ) which followed Dire Straits around.
Here’s Mark teaming up with James Taylor on an unusual song about the Mason - Dixon line but it works very well and indeed the whole album has some great songs with Mark’s excellent, if slightly restrained, playing.

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia

Archived