What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

On 5/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Chernobyl is a must to watch. Brilliant blood chilling TV about a true event that most Europeans, although at a distance, live through.

It is well worth briefly reading up on radiation levels to fully appreciate the the exposure these guys were facing.

Radiation is about exposure time and intensity, just like drinking 2 bottles of vodka in one sitting will most likely kill you, while you can safely enjoy the same 2 bottles of vodka over the course of a year.

radiation.png

I am watching this as well. I worked in Russia and Kazakhstan so for me it's totally believable. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Documentary - The Hunt for Jihadi John. 

Thought this was excellent.

Summary: Brutal ISIS terrorist Jihadi John was tracked down and blown up by US drones after his walk and the angle of his BEARD gave him away. The bloodthirsty thug was part of a group of four British jihadis nicknamed The Beatles - who appeared in sick videos beheading western hostages, including two Brits - and tracked down in a huge international manhunt.

https://www.thesun.ie/video/news/the-hunt-for-jihadi-john-trailer-for-new-channel-4-doc-that-reveals-details-of-isis-fighters-death/

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Had the misfortune to watch about 20minutes of Johnny Depp's movie The Professor.

Clichéd rubbish.

Agreed, struggled through about 30 minutes before giving it away.

47 minutes ago, james.d said:

Just finished watching the 2nd episode of Blake's 7. Not my cup of tea, so will not be watching more of it.

Is that the original Blakes 7??

Was a great fan way back when, but would seem very dated now surely?

I've watched the first few episodes of this, seems pretty decent.

Overview:

A crime drama that takes place in the latter half of the 19th century during brutal gang wars in San Francisco's Chinatown, it follows martial arts prodigy Ah Sahm, a Chinese immigrant who arrives in the City of Lights under mysterious circumstances. Once he proves his prowess as a fighter, Sahm becomes a hit man for one of Chinatown's most powerful organized crime families. As he is mentored by the son of the crime family's leader, learning the ins and outs of gang warfare, Al Sahm wins the confidence of brothel madam Ah Toy, eventually revealing to her his true intentions. "Warrior" is based on the writings of martial arts legend Bruce Lee and features a largely Asian cast.

The Giant Killer.

Thought this one was really good.

Summary: The true story of the smallest Green Beret soldier who became a war hero-only to be killed homeless and alone,
whose life and death are shrouded in mystery. 

I have just watched all 20 episodes of Mr Mercedes and thought it was excellent. No complaints about the ending either, as I like some finality to shows that take many hours of my viewing time.

Many times I have to google to find an explanation to some shows/series endings, but then I am a bit dim. 

Pleased to see it only had a teeny bit of I dunno what u call it, abnormal sexual behaviour - mother playing intimately with son, son masturbating on a staircase. Fed up with shows that have men screwing men, and women with women, what is wrong with normal man/women relationships.

39 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have just watched all 20 episodes of Mr Mercedes and thought it was excellent. No complaints about the ending either, as I like some finality to shows that take many hours of my viewing time.

Many times I have to google to find an explanation to some shows/series endings, but then I am a bit dim. 

Pleased to see it only had a teeny bit of I dunno what u call it, abnormal sexual behaviour - mother playing intimately with son, son masturbating on a staircase. Fed up with shows that have men screwing men, and women with women, what is wrong with normal man/women relationships.

It was a good series. No chance of another season though, not unless they resurrect him.

One to watch out for - with a local element too.

Mammoth Screen, the production company behind Poldark and Victoria, have been commissioned by BBC1 to make new drama The Serpent.

The eight-part series will be written by Ripper Street’s Richard Warlow, directed by Tom Shankland (The Missing, Ripper Street, House of Cards) and is based on the true story of one of the most elusive criminals of the 20th century.

The story revolves around con man Charles Sobhraj who was the prime suspect in a string of sensational unsolved murders through 1975 and 1976 of young travellers across India, Thailand and Nepal.

By 1976, he was Interpol’s most wanted man and unwittingly crossed paths with Herman Knippenberg, a junior diplomat at the Dutch Embassy in Bangkok.

Controller of BBC Drama Piers Wegner said: “The Serpent tells the story of Charles Sobhraj, who preyed on the lives of young backpackers in Thailand in the 1970s. Richard Warlow’s scripts will bring this notorious story to life on BBC1, for the first time showing the great lengths Dutch embassy diplomat Herman Knippenberg went to get justice for Sobhraj’s innocent victims.”

Writer Richard Warlow said: “I don’t think I could ever invent the corrupt magnetism of Sobhraj’s evil charisma, nor the everyman’s decency with which Knippenberg – now our friend and collaborator – brought some measure of justice to those who went to seek new horizons but never returned.”

Director Tom Shankland added that bringing “the lost era of the hippie trail” to the screen had been “a dream of mine, ever since I first went travelling in Asia and heard the name ‘Charles Sobhraj.'”

He continued: “I want to give a voice to those brave kids who set out with big dreams but never made it home.”

Executive Producer at Mammoth Screen Preethi Mavahalli said: “We have spent several years researching and collecting the first hand testimony of the brave survivors who helped unravel Sobhraj’s dark web of deceit, crime and murder.

“Now we can finally tell this truly stranger than fiction story of the so-called Serpent, one of the most elusive killers of all time, and Herman Knippenberg’s quietly obsessive pursuit to catch him. We couldn’t ask for better than our all-talented team of Richard Warlow and Tom Shankland at the helm!”

Tonight watched  The Kid, a western about Billy the Kid,not all that good,

and  The Poisoned Rose, with Morgan Freeman,and John Travolta,it should

have been better.

regards worgeordie

10 hours ago, faraday said:

Summer of Rockets - Stephen Poliakoff.

Quite enjoying this; Timothy Spall is really rather good as a Lord.

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-24/summer-of-rockets-bbc-air-date-cast-plot-keeley-hawes-toby-stephens/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/summer-of-rockets

Nb - Keeley Hawes is in it!

Thank you. I'll put her performance in "Bodyguard" down to it being bad TV and watch this.

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Tonight watched  The Kid, a western about Billy the Kid,not all that good,

and  The Poisoned Rose, with Morgan Freeman,and John Travolta,it should

have been better.

regards worgeordie

Thanks for the review. I downloaded The Poisoned Rose solely because of the actors even though some of the reviews weren't too flattering.

7 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Thank you. I'll put her performance in "Bodyguard" down to it being bad TV and watch this.

Yes, her performance, & the whole show, was awful.

She was superb in Line Of Duty...

Archived