What movies or TV shows are you watching (2018)

CharlieH

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

For one thing, not all foreign subtitled films are available as downloads, secondly, I like to watch movies with my Thai partner, and she doesn't read English subtitles as well as I do, and thirdly, I watch what I enjoy, my tastes and my tastes alone.

You did write, "Not too many good ones I haven't seen. Been an avid movie watcher since I was 10 years old, you can see a lot of movies in 67 years."

Did you see, "Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, Nude Odyssey. Sunday's and Cybele?"

I'd imagine you have missed most of the good ones, except those that conform to your narrow values.  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

You did write, "Not too many good ones I haven't seen. Been an avid movie watcher since I was 10 years old, you can see a lot of movies in 67 years."

Did you see, "Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, Nude Odyssey. Sunday's and Cybele?"

I'd imagine you have missed most of the good ones, except those that conform to your narrow values.  

You have no idea as to my tastes in movies, so calling my values narrow just shows ignorance on your part, something that is displayed often in your posts.

42 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nude Odyssey. Sunday's and Cybele?"

Any hints where you got these two from ? Both are on my list but cannot find on the usual sites.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

You have no idea as to my tastes in movies, so calling my values narrow just shows ignorance on your part, something that is displayed often in your posts.

Yes, his post was somewhat rude.

Didn't mind this one.

Birds of Passage

Summary: During the marijuana bonanza, a violent decade that saw the origins of drug trafficking in Colombia, Rapayet and his indigenous family get involved in a war to control the business that ends up destroying their lives and their culture.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Any hints where you got these two from ? Both are on my list but cannot find on the usual sites.

You might struggle to find them since they're both around 60 years old.

They might be good, but I don't have much interest in watching movies that are older than me.

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Did you see?  ""Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, Nude Odyssey. Sunday's and Cybele?"  Or is your movie going experience pretty much confined to your own small culture?  

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Did you see?  ""Wild Strawberries, The Seventh Seal, 8 1/2, Nude Odyssey. Sunday's and Cybele?"  Or is your movie going experience pretty much confined to your own small culture?  

I've already commented on your arrogant attitude, time for you to move on.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

The norm for him.

You said you had seen all the good movies.  I said I doubted that and gave you a sample of movies seen by anyone who is knowledgeable about cinema as I don't think you venture outside of your own culture when viewing movies.  That's not rude.  It is a question about what movies you have seen.   

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I've already commented on your arrogant attitude, time for you to move on.

What does my attitude have to do with your absence of international movie experience?  Now I'm watching Happy 2 on Netflix - not while my wife is home as she has rather parochial tastes in cinema as I imagine you have also.  So you didn't see some of the best movies ever made by two of the best directors ever to make movies - just admit and move on.   

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

What does my attitude have to do with your absence of international movie experience?  Now I'm watching Happy 2 on Netflix - not while my wife is home as she has rather parochial tastes in cinema as I imagine you have also.  So you didn't see some of the best movies ever made by two of the best directors ever to make movies - just admit and move on.   

Once again you are surmising what my tastes are and also what I have or have not seen. You are a troll, evident on your many. many, tiresome posts.

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

That last sentence is totally subjective. 

1 minute ago, newatthis said:

Oh, his opinion is the only one that counts, haven't you worked that out already? He's an expert on all things, just ask him.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Oh, his opinion is the only one that counts, haven't you worked that out already? He's an expert on all things, just ask him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_and_awards_received_by_Ingmar_Bergman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Fellini

Fellini won the Palme d'Or for La Dolce Vita, was nominated for twelve Academy Awards, and won four in the category of Best Foreign Language Film, the most for any director in the history of the Academy.

In 1971, Bergman received the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award at the Academy Awards ceremony. Three of his films won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. The list of his nominations and awards follows:

Won: Best Foreign Film The Virgin Spring (Jungfrukällan), 1960[33]

Won: Best Foreign Film Through a Glass Darkly (Såsom i en spegel) (1961)[34]

Won: Best Foreign Film Fanny and Alexander (Fanny och Alexander) (1983)[35]

Nominated: Best Original Screenplay, Wild Strawberries (Smultronstället), 1957

Nominated: Best Original Screenplay Through a Glass Darkly (Såsom i en spegel), 1961[34]

Nominated: Best Original Screenplay, Cries and Whispers (Viskningar och rop), 1974

Nominated: Best Picture, Cries and Whispers (Viskningar och rop), 1974

Nominated: Best Director, Cries and Whispers (Viskningar och rop), 1974

Nominated: Best Director, Face to Face (Ansikte mot ansikte), 1977

Nominated: Best Original Screenplay, Autumn Sonata (Höstsonaten), 1979

Nominated: Best Original Screenplay, Fanny and Alexander (Fanny och Alexander), 1983

Nominated: Best Director, Fanny and Alexander (Fanny och Alexander), 1983

2 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Movies are like shirts, food & music, if you like it, it’s good. If you don’t like it’s not, regardless of how many people thought it was great.

If that was true then winning an Academy Award would have no bearing on the amount of money a movie makes.  Or how much money the actor gets for his next movie.  

14 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Google top 20 movie directors of all time and Felline and Bergman are always listed.  Not my opinion but the opinion of the movie goers and cinema experts all over the world.  

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You wrote that you had seen all the good movies.  It was your statement that I took exception to.  So to sum up.  Your statement that you had seen all the good movies is not pretending expertise in cinema but mine quoting awards of two of the best directors in the business is?   

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Google top 20 movie directors of all time and Felline and Bergman are always listed.  Not my opinion but the opinion of the movie goers and cinema experts all over the world.  

Maybe, but their opinion is still subjective. I could ask "What is the best movie of the 20th century?" All answers would be subjective.

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I've always found Ingmar Bergman films to be awful.

Unfortunately, I wasted a lot of time watching these, and in some cases trying some a 2nd time, trying to find out what I was missing.

I finally realized I was missing nothing - they are pretentious pseudo-intellectual trash.

Let Bergman struggle with meaningless issues like the place of man in God's universe and other superstitious non-issues.

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You wrote that you had seen all the good movies.  It was your statement that I took exception to.  So to sum up.  Your statement that you had seen all the good movies is not pretending expertise in cinema but mine quoting awards of two of the best directors in the business is?   

Just because something has an 'award' it doesn't mean that it's actually any good - most, but not all of the Oscars are boring.

Haven't got the time, or indeed the inclination to, list them: you'd just parrot "subjective!" or something else to prove that you're a film buff.

Enjoy your day.

:smile:

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

If that was true then winning an Academy Award would have no bearing on the amount of money a movie makes.  Or how much money the actor gets for his next movie.  

Of course it's true.

Joe average goes to see a movie and either likes it or they don't.

They don't think about the directing, cinematography or how many awards it's won.

David Stratton and Margaret Pomeranz reviewed movies for years in Oz

and regularly had different ratings and opinions. I remember once she gave a movie a 5 (out of 5)

and he gave it a zero. That doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.

This is one of the more helpful subforums around where people suggest shows

which you can either look at or ignore. We all have different opinions and tastes.

Life is really too short to get into arguments over pedantic things like movie choices.

Archived