The New Skytrain (continued for 2019)

Jonathan Fairfield

On 7/4/2022 at 5:44 PM, josephbloggs said:

Hi LG,

The area around Hua Mark ARL was fairly recently re-done, with better road crossings (level with the kerb at the crossing point so better disabled access).  There is also all new illuminated signage which is much better and a sign saying AERA City 1.   I wondered why all the improvements and what AERA City 1 is and found out that is the 3 airport HSL consortium (Asia Era One Company).  So has the running of the ARL now been handed over to them?  

The CP led consortium which won the 50 year concession for the Eastern HSR/3 Airports line in Dec 2018, started changing signage at ARL stations last August as they were officially meant to take over ARL operations in mid Oct 2021. You can see some pics new signage and upgrades from last October;

https://www.facebook.com/TrainBusAirplane/posts/422708266092760

https://www.facebook.com/DRT.OfficialFanpage/posts/1031421287634815

However, the handover was delayed for 3 months due to non payment of the initial deposit. Again, the new date for the payment in early 2022 was again delayed. Most recently, the consortium was meant to take over operations in late June, but I don't believe that has happened as yet. I suspect that the consortium wants to delay the intial payment and takeover for a long as possible while pax numbers recover and in the current economic context.             

Pax on the ARL are up to 52.5k a day which is still less than the 72K+per day prior to Covid                                                                         

Originally, when CP consortium (ITD & CRCC) won the bid for the Eastern HSR line they stated that they would commence construction in 2020. However, the contract was not signed until 2019 as the consortium had concerns regarding land handover issues from the SRT - read squatters and other land aquisition complications. Obviously, then Covid hit.

It was announced by the consortium 2 months ago that the ARL ext to DMK (1st stage of the Eastern HSR) would start construction by Sept, but I'm not seeing much happening on that front right now.

• Thanks 2

On 7/6/2022 at 1:56 PM, Lakegeneve said:

It was announced by the consortium 2 months ago that the ARL ext to DMK (1st stage of the Eastern HSR) would start construction by Sept, but I'm not seeing much happening on that front right now.

It was announced yesterday that construction would start in October. Reportedly, all land has been handed over, but I highly doubt that claim.

Kanit said the EEC was told that the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has completed the expropriation of land for the project and the areas have been handed over to the contractor – a CP-led consortium called AERA1.

He added that the contractor has moved into the construction sites to start preparations, such as building roads and factories for making pre-fabricated parts of the railway. The actual construction is expected to start in October.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40017608

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2022 at 11:43 AM, Lakegeneve said:

Construction progress as at 30 June:

1) MRT Orange Line: 95.31%

2) MRT Pink Line: 91.01%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 94.18%

4) MRT Purple Line (southern ext): preliminary site prep works underway

Construction progress as at 31 August:

1) MRT Orange Line: 96.38%

2) MRT Pink Line: 92.27%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 96.05%

New MRT Orange Line opening date - August 2025!

Although Orange Line construction will essentially be completed by the end of the year, the previous opening date of March 2024 has now been pushed back to August 2025! This is due to the debacle of the cancelled and much delayed Orange Line western extension PPP tender. Whoever, wins that tender also wins the right to operate the Orange line eastern section AND has to order rolling stock which normally take 2 yrs to deliver from order.

The tender will be awarded in Dec if there are no further delays. There are two bidders (BEM/Karnchang & ITD/IncheonMass Transit) as the BTSC boycotted the process. The successful bidder will need to order rolling stock promptly early in 2023 as not only does it take 2 yrs to deliver, but the line will require 3-5 months of full testing once sets are delivered. That Aug 2025 could thus slip to later in 2025......

Had the MRTA done the operations & rolling stock tenders for the Eastern section in early 2021, then we could've been looking at a mid 2023 opening date! When construction commenced in June 2017, with a 1080 day construction period, the original opening date was Oct 2022.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:53 AM, Lakegeneve said:

The feasibility study and a draft EIA have been completed for the BMA Grey line. The BMA held a consultation meeting with the private sector on Thursday to provide an overview of this PPP tender. Detailed designs are planned to be completed by early 2023 and thereafter will seek Cabinet approval by around mid year. Still not planning to do the tender until 2024.....

There's a video in the previous post if you want to view the comnplete, potential line.

spacer.png

BMA Grey Line update

No change to the timeframe for the Grey Line. The main news is that the new BMA Gov has stated that he is inclined to transfer the Grey Line project back to the MRTA for better integration with the MRT network and due to the ongoing debt to BTSC which is his main priority.

If this does happen, then it will delay the project further and the MRTA priorities are the Orange Line western ext and the MRT Brown line. However, one of the advantages of the MRTA doing both the Brown and Grey lines is that an integrated depot could be built for both lines. The BMA has secured a depot site whereas the MRTA has not, Such an outcome could also allow the possibility of operational flexibility with Grey line trains partially running on the Brown line and vice versa. eg, during peak hour you could have every 3rd train run from Thonglor to the Brown line terminus at NCC & return. Not ideal for slow monorail track turnouts, but still possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 5:54 PM, Lakegeneve said:

Construction progress as at 31 August:

1) MRT Orange Line: 96.38%

2) MRT Pink Line: 92.27%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 96.05%

New MRT Orange Line opening date - August 2025!

Although Orange Line construction will essentially be completed by the end of the year, the previous opening date of March 2024 has now been pushed back to August 2025! This is due to the debacle of the cancelled and much delayed Orange Line western extension PPP tender. Whoever, wins that tender also wins the right to operate the Orange line eastern section AND has to order rolling stock which normally take 2 yrs to deliver from order.

The tender will be awarded in Dec if there are no further delays. There are two bidders (BEM/Karnchang & ITD/IncheonMass Transit) as the BTSC boycotted the process. The successful bidder will need to order rolling stock promptly early in 2023 as not only does it take 2 yrs to deliver, but the line will require 3-5 months of full testing once sets are delivered. That Aug 2025 could thus slip to later in 2025......

Had the MRTA done the operations & rolling stock tenders for the Eastern section in early 2021, then we could've been looking at a mid 2023 opening date! When construction commenced in June 2017, with a 1080 day construction period, the original opening date was Oct 2022.

Construction progress as at 31 October:

1) MRT Orange Line: 98.31%

2) MRT Pink Line: 93.29%

2a) Pink Line Spur to MTT: 8.08%

3) MRT Yellow Line: 97.36%

4) MRT Purple Line (southern ext): 3.75%

MRT Orange Line western extension tender - 13.4k, 11 stations

BEM/Karnchang has won the tender for the western extension. Barring further litigation from the BTSC, the contract should be signed early next year with work starting by mid year. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lakegenevecatching up a bit on our discussion we had the last 2 years. 

Study is done and now waiting for cabinet approval. You were right it takes a long time haha 2029 is planned so 2030 or so is realistic for this new line https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/light-rail/bangkoks-bang-na-suvarnabhumi-lrt-feasibility-study-completed/

Living in the area around that line I still think this line will be used a lot especially because it will connect the airport in the last phase.

Wiki Overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_Na–Suvarnabhumi_light_rail

Edited by burner2014

On 11/18/2022 at 6:23 AM, Hugh Cow said:

when is the wan wian yai to mahachai line going through? I heard it was being delayed. I like the old SRT train anyway so the longer the skytrain is delayed the better.

No real difference to the reply that I wrote on 6 July to your previous similar query. "Thus, the Hualamphong to WWY to Mahachai section won't be done for many years. I had hoped that the full southern ext would be done by 2030, but realistically the section you are asking about probably won't be done until the mid 30s now."

The next stages of the SRT Red lines exts are currently planned to be tendered in Feb 2023;

1) SRT Dark Red line north ext Rangsit to Thammasat Uni : aim to sign contract in May

2) SRT Dark red line south ext Bang Sue to Hualumphong: contract in Sept

3) SRT Light Red line west ext Taling Chan to Salaya: aim to sign contract in June

5) SRT Light Red line east ext Bang Sue to Hua Mark: contract in Sept

Note: expect these dates to change.

Also, note that the trench past the palace that needs to be built for (2) & (5) also has to include the ARL ext which will start work soon.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 7:00 AM, burner2014 said:

@Lakegenevecatching up a bit on our discussion we had the last 2 years. 

Study is done and now waiting for cabinet approval. You were right it takes a long time haha 2029 is planned so 2030 or so is realistic for this new line https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/light-rail/bangkoks-bang-na-suvarnabhumi-lrt-feasibility-study-completed/

Living in the area around that line I still think this line will be used a lot especially because it will connect the airport in the last phase.

Wiki Overview: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_Na–Suvarnabhumi_light_rail

BMA isn't planning to tender the line for another 2 years. However, similar to the update I did above on 10 Sept for the BMA Grey line, the BMA Gov wants the MRTA to take on this project. If they do, this will lead to more delays with the current process as the MRTA has other priorities first with the MRT Purple line ext and MRT Brown line. Most likely the Grey line would also be a priority before this line too. 

We'll have to wait and see if the MRTA decides to take on both projects. 

• Like 1

yesterday BTS post a video moaning about the unpaid debt by BMA, looks like the current Bangkok administration realize they bit off more than they can chew when they had a look at what contract were signed between BMA and BTS

even if they manage to nationalize and transfer control of green line to MRTA, BTS will still be around to operate the monorails, plus AERA1 contract for the Airport/High speed link is another 50 years.

looks like Bangkok will have integrated operator a la transport for London when hell freezes over

On 11/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, Lakegeneve said:

No real difference to the reply that I wrote on 6 July to your previous similar query. "Thus, the Hualamphong to WWY to Mahachai section won't be done for many years. I had hoped that the full southern ext would be done by 2030, but realistically the section you are asking about probably won't be done until the mid 30s now."

The next stages of the SRT Red lines exts are currently planned to be tendered in Feb 2023;

1) SRT Dark Red line north ext Rangsit to Thammasat Uni : aim to sign contract in May

2) SRT Dark red line south ext Bang Sue to Hualumphong: contract in Sept

3) SRT Light Red line west ext Taling Chan to Salaya: aim to sign contract in June

5) SRT Light Red line east ext Bang Sue to Hua Mark: contract in Sept

Note: expect these dates to change.

Also, note that the trench past the palace that needs to be built for (2) & (5) also has to include the ARL ext which will start work soon.

spacer.png

Thanks LG. I love the old SRT line so knowing the line wont be finished before me is good news.

On 11/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, digbeth said:

yesterday BTS post a video moaning about the unpaid debt by BMA, looks like the current Bangkok administration realize they bit off more than they can chew when they had a look at what contract were signed between BMA and BTS

even if they manage to nationalize and transfer control of green line to MRTA, BTS will still be around to operate the monorails, plus AERA1 contract for the Airport/High speed link is another 50 years.

looks like Bangkok will have integrated operator a la transport for London when hell freezes over

A couple of things. BTSC will still have the concession for the BTS lines until 2029 even if the BMA transfers ownership o f both BTS lines to the MRTA. Don't forget that much of the unpaid debt issue relates to the fact that the MRTA did both the Keha (Suk line south ext) and Khu Khot exts (Suk line north ext) and then transferred the debt to the BMA which subseqently contracted the BTSC to run the exts while also having very lengthy free fare periods for both exts.

For AERA1 (Aka 3 Airport line) the CP consortium consists of BEM amongst others. I didn't think that the BTSC were involved?

A common ticketing platform for the whole network remains as eleusive as the end of corruption in Thailand....The MRTA could have made it compulsory with all recent tenders (Orange, Pink & Yellow. & Purple ext to come), but did not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, digbeth said:

I don't think they've put out the tender for Hell freezing over, or decided who will operate it, so it could indeed be a long time coming .....

As someone who lives in the Ramkhamhaeng area, I really hope they get the Yellow and Orange lines running soon. Those roads are a  nightmare.

1 hour ago, Eleftheros said:

I don't think they've put out the tender for Hell freezing over, or decided who will operate it, so it could indeed be a long time coming .....

As someone who lives in the Ramkhamhaeng area, I really hope they get the Yellow and Orange lines running soon. Those roads are a  nightmare.

Yellow line at least looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel, 

While finished orange line stations looks like it'll sit idle dilapidated by the time there's rolling stock and that'll probably only open once the west section is completed

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/10/2023 at 10:59 PM, Lakegeneve said:

There was some bad news around a week before Xmas but I didn't feel in the mood to post it prior to the NY. The BSR announced further delays to both lines opening. This not completely unexpected as there was some indication in early Nov of this might happen with a slide until Feb or March and anyone seeing stations along the line knew there was stillmuch to be done. The BSR also blamed Covid rather than be honest about some of their obvious issues.

However, the new dates are yet another significant delay;

The MRT Yellow line is now slated to open in June 2023 - the full line.

The MRT Pink line is stated to open in August 2023 - 1st phase.

These are the 5th opening dates that the BSR has announced. The only hope is that they have learnt their lesson of over promising and undelivering by stating longer dates to allow for a buffer and that there may be some small hope that both lines could open a month or 2 earlier?

We'll have to wait and see.

Any truth in rumours the Yellow line opening now pushed back to December, but maybe some trials with pax. starting in April?

I was in Lad Prao Road/Bang Kapi last month and large stretches along there still looked no way ready by June.

Pink Line at the Tiwanon end still have the stations under construction. Walkway from Purple Line Non Civic Centre is yet to be completed when I went past there last week. Still months from a test run, methinks.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, FarangryBirds said:

Any truth in rumours the Yellow line opening now pushed back to December, but maybe some trials with pax. starting in April?

I was in Lad Prao Road/Bang Kapi last month and large stretches along there still looked no way ready by June.

They seem to be running almost full schedule trials on the yellow line. Every time I drive past I see trains going up and down. Most stations - at least that I see - look finished with a few (like the Ramkhamhaeng intersection) needing a bit of finishing still. Hoping they are still on track for a June opening as I would love to use it to get to work and leave the car at home.

S__2564159.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

They seem to be running almost full schedule trials on the yellow line. Every time I drive past I see trains going up and down. Most stations - at least that I see - look finished with a few (like the Ramkhamhaeng intersection) needing a bit of finishing still. Hoping they are still on track for a June opening as I would love to use it to get to work and leave the car at home.

Too late to edit but I meant the Pattanakarn intersection, not Ramkhamhaeng - a fair bit of work left to do on that station but a month might be doable...

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

After having a free trial run, my initial impressions:

- Not a fan of the carriage configuration at all, very little seating at all in each carriage. Also the weird shaped gangways between each car.

- While the acceleration is quite smooth, the ride is a bit bumpy, and sometimes a couple of small jolts as well. When you're standing (as most passengers will be) it made it more noticeable. 

- The trains are actually quiet. When they were passing overhead, I couldn't make out any noise above the passing road traffic sounds. Also a lot quieter on cornering, not that horrible screech the BTS makes around Victory Monument and Sala Daeng to Chong Nobsi.

- Unobstructed views, you get a great view through the cab window and also the doors are mainly glass, and no barriers on the columns. I'm sure the views will become compromised in the future when the trains have to become mobile advertising boards to help pay the bills.

- You can tell who the free daytrippers were, as it was carnage at the barriers where there were people who'd clearly never been through one before.

- Seacon Square must have been rubbing their hands at the potential new flood of customers being dropped off to them. Because of the hot weather, they were actually supplying free umbrellas for the short walk from the station to the Mall..

- Si, Si, Si...Si....so many if the station names (8) start with Si. Although I did note they've kept Hua Mak, Samrong & Lad Prao stations the same as their ARL/BTS/MRT namesakes. A welcome change.

For the next trip I'll wait until the Ladprao end opens up.

• Like 1