The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I'm off to bed in a minute...think I'll fluff up the pillows in expectation of a deep and untroubled sleep.

After all I'm going to be busy in the morning!

I see you falling from your heavenly perch soon, Ronaldinho!!!:cowboy:

51 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Big Sam just in time for Christmas!!?? The little children will be so happy!!!

I just saw that Bilic has been sacked and mentioned as replacements are Big Sam and Mark Hughes. Mark "I have no idea what I'm doing" Hughes??! He's just a small step up from Tim "Dim" Sherwood.

Not the usual City and every credit to Southampton. Good side they are. Scraped that result out, though we had loads of chances to put it out of sight. 

Not a great game but I'd sooner come away with 3 points and have a game like that, than totally dominate against a park the bus team and come away with nothing

3 Points. That wasn't as bad as a root canal but not far from it. A draw would have been a more just outcome. Watching City is so frustrating. Would it be too much to ask if Mahrez might score one of the two gimmes laid on a plate for him near the end? :coffee1:

1 hour ago, jellydog said:

Since City have again put me in a <deleted>ty mood, I will point out that at the current moment City and Crystal <deleted> Palace have scored the same number of goals in the EPL this season. Crystal <deleted> Palace!:sad:

3 points mate, 3 points. And defence looking like they have got their act together. Stones is like a breath of fresh air but don't know what's happened to Laporte

18 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

3 points mate, 3 points. And defence looking like they have got their act together. Stones is like a breath of fresh air but don't know what's happened to Laporte

Yep, three points it is MrB, and clearly City and Pep emphasizing defense. Not a lot of playing out of the back today.

I recall reading a few years ago that Laporte had a prickly personality. A guy who kept to himself and was not very much liked by fellow French footballers. Whether any of that has a bearing on his absence from the City starting eleven, I have no idea.

9 hours ago, jellydog said:

A stroll for City. Nice to see Aguero get a few minutes. 

Arsenal are really struggling. I feel sorry for poor Arteta.

Yeah bit of a stroll really and Arsenal got their goal against the run of play. Our 3rd was a good goal ????

I don't feel sorry for Arteta. He had a good job at City and IMO wasn't ready to step up. I said the exact same thing when he left us. To me, he obviously has a good footballing brain but he just doesn't seem to inspire

Still a bit of a strange season at City. Gone from <deleted> defence to very decent defence with loads of quality at CB, but the playing of an extra defensive CM and loss of Silva (and Aguero most the season) means we now struggle to score.

Still can only see Liverpoo winning it (they're still around their peak - slippery slope soon please).

Hoping Pep will see the light and do what EVERY City fan wants and play Foden every game in the remaining games (he offers so much - makes chances, a scorer, a team player, loads of effort), more Bernardo, and gives wasteful Sterling and Mahrez a kick up the bum.

Our Player of the Season to date is Dias who has been rock solid. Not sure how he is flying under the radar but long may it last - Koulibaly, who?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to fellow blues...and to the rest of you heathen non-believers ????

Three points chalked up. Still awfully disorganized in attack though. Cancelo, who I was yelling at last week, put in a good game. Aguero getting the kid glove treatment. Hopefully he'll be close to completely match fit before too long.

8 hours ago, jellydog said:

Three points chalked up. Still awfully disorganized in attack though. Cancelo, who I was yelling at last week, put in a good game. Aguero getting the kid glove treatment. Hopefully he'll be close to completely match fit before too long.

In this weird time I'm just happy with 3 points jelly. Seem to have switched our strong attack for a strong defence but we've clearly been missing Aguero. Nobody really busted a gut yesterday as I reckon they have one eye on the game against Everton. Conditions were horrible as well

3 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

In this weird time I'm just happy with 3 points jelly. Seem to have switched our strong attack for a strong defence but we've clearly been missing Aguero. Nobody really busted a gut yesterday as I reckon they have one eye on the game against Everton. Conditions were horrible as well

Yeah, I meant to mention the rain and wind. I had the impression that at about the 70th minute many players had had enough.

Cancelo rightly great praised in the media, but I thought Gundog was also excellent and is having a very decent season (He seemed to be more direct and more energy yesterday). Stones and Dias continue impress - hard to believe Laporte can't get a kick. 

Wasn't an easy watch yesterday, always expecting (last season's) banana-skin defending, but we seem to be learning how to grind through games and the defense takes the plaudits over the attack so far this season.

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

There's something gone on there I reckon. He's quality and shouldn't be left out. Saying that, I like the partnership Stones and Dias are forming

Yes, must be something below the surface. You think Stones being an English lad has any bearing?

7 hours ago, jellydog said:

Yes, must be something below the surface. You think Stones being an English lad has any bearing?

Why would Stones being an English lad have any bearing (bearing in mind our management is Spanish, and Laporte is fluent)? 

I reckon Laporte received criticism from Pep for certain performances which weren't good enough (Lyon and Spurs spring to mind), hasn't reacted well. Meanwhile teacher's pet Garcia announced he was moving on to Barca. We knew we had to move on Otamendi so that kept Stones. Stones when he played this season has been really good so has leapt above Garcia and Laporte. Dias has been great since he arrived and as he can also play leftside (as he does for Portugal) it allows Pep to play inform Stones and 1st choice Dias. Pep has been vocal about the past doesn't guarantee you a place, which I reckon is aimed mainly at Laporte but also Sterling and Mahrez.

On 12/27/2020 at 2:38 AM, RonniePickering22 said:

A covid outbreak I wouldn't wish on any team....hopefully all and their families are ok.

See there you go. You were a decent guy before Spurs went on their little run. Glad to see normal service has been resumed on and off the pitch.

Apparently Madrid are interested in Foden. Seems like he is being held back a bit at City Football Group. Still not getting played in the biggest games. 

However, I must admit there is an argument for not being overplayed too early as may have been the case with Rashford. 

17 hours ago, jellydog said:

I did a poor job of explaining my thoughts about this. I was wondering if being English was helping Stones as far as any "quotas" that might have an impact. I know little about quotas and such.

Archived