Travelling with newborn without passport

Indya

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to travel with a newborn baby on domestic (Thai) flights, if the baby does not yet have a passport?

Mother has UK passport - waiting for baby passport to arrive.

Thanks in advance!

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Bring birth certificate.

A copy. Original birth certificate is such a precious document.

In 2014 a group travelled by air among them a 6 and 8 year old.

As I did the booking I advised them to have a copy.

All went flawless.

Domestic(!) as you asked.

• Like 2

My Son's UK Passport took 2 weeks to arrive (from Date of Submission). 

IF your child is also Thai a passport can be obtained with a day (or two) - (I suspect your Child is not Half Thai though, if this Mother is British)

As others have written, it is quite normal that the only form of ID a child would have at this age is a Birth Certificate - thus, it would be quite reasonable for an airline to accept this. 

The best thing you can do is check with the airline directly. 

----------

OffTopic but relevant - the safest thing you can do is have a FA approved Car Seat which also fits in a plane seat - it greatly reduces the risk of injury to the child during turbulence, it also gives the parents some space.

IF the flight looks busy purchase an extra seat for the child, or if the flight looks quiet, chance it and hope there are spare seats 

We used to use the Maxi-Cosi Pebble (which can be used with a IsoFix base, or with a Seatbelt, and on Airline Seats).

I had to travel to Bangkok from Chiang Mai return to have a DNA test for my sons Citizenship (Australian). We turned up at the Air Asia checkin and I handed my passport, baby's original birth certificate and mum's ID and letter from her consulate as she is from Myanmar and only has Pink Non Thai ID and restricted to Chiang Mai. They processed mine and gave me boarding pass, processed my sons with birth certificate only and gave boarding pass then refused hid mum as letter did not mention Bangkok. Lost money of flights, airport transfers and hotel, but that is another story.

So in short he was ok with birth certificate only with Air Asia.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:32 PM, KhunBENQ said:

All went flawless.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:32 PM, KhunBENQ said:

All went flawless.

Confirmed, on domestic done the same with 2 Thai grandkids many flights when they were very young, pretty much all airlines, copy of birth certificate. 

Our small twist is that the mother and father (my Thai son) are both Thai citizens but son has my western surname. Staff at check-in and at gate looked at the copy birth certificate for a couple of seconds then handed it back, not one word spoken, no hassles whatever. 

Keep in mind that many Thai folks don't have a Thai passport, many will never have a passport, so the airlines can't ever insist on a passport.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Keep in mind that many Thai folks don't have a Thai passport, many will never have a passport, so the airlines can't ever insist on a passport.

That's true but every Thai person from age 15 is obliged to carry his national ID card. And that is the key for all kind of identification purposes.

A Thai driving license might do it too (as it also carriers the unique person ID).

As far as I know ID cards are issued from age 7 if requested.