Speed Cameras

dreaming

I'm guessing, but I expect a person needs to be exceeding the speed limit by a "significant" amount before a ticket is issued.  Just being a few Kmh over shouldn't trigger a speeding ticket. 

Like on a 80 or 90Kmh road maybe 100Kmh and above triggers a ticket.   I doubt just being say 10Kmh over on say a 80Kmh road would trigger a ticket.   But as mentioned, I'm guessing....maybe some more folks who have actually got speeding tickets here in Thailand will chime in as to how much over the speed limit they were going when they got their ticket in the mail.  As mentioned in my earlier post, my ticket was for being 25Kmh over....doing 105 on a 80kmh road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm guessing, but I expect a person needs to be exceeding the speed limit by a "significant" amount before a ticket is issued.  Just being a few Kmh over shouldn't trigger a speeding ticket. 

Like on a 80 or 90Kmh road maybe 100Kmh and above triggers a ticket.   I doubt just being say 10Kmh over on say a 80Kmh road would trigger a ticket.   But as mentioned, I'm guessing....maybe some more folks who have actually got speeding tickets here in Thailand will chime in as to how much over the speed limit they were going when they got their ticket in the mail.  As mentioned in my earlier post, my ticket was for being 25Kmh over....doing 105 on a 80kmh road.

And if doing 105 your speedometer will indicate more.

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I know the area in Korat pretty well. I’ve been through there twice in June @ 100Km/h+ with no ticket. 

At the risk of firing up the do gooders I’ve travelled quite a bit from BKK to Pattaya to Rayong the last couple years at well over the posted limit and I nor the rental company I hired from a couple times have ever received an infringement. I’m not sure what to make of it, maybe maintenance issues with the cameras or they are only functioning intermittently. Who knows.

There have been some recent posts about speed cameras and fines on the 7 - I had one but it was some years ago.

20 hours ago, Pib said:

This has come up before in another thread Pib. There seems to be no tolerance - from memory someone reported being only 3km per hour over the limit according to the ticket.

My ticket some years ago was for 130 in a 120 limit - somewhere on Highway 7.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 4:50 PM, dreaming said:

How much are the fines?

500 baht. Or at least my recent / only one in the Thung Song area was - 123 km in a 90km area. Can't complain as it's the only one in many years of speeding around Thai highways.

Wife rang me up to say I had a letter from the police, she was miffed when I said it was not my problem, cars in her name. 555

• Haha 1

I drive regularly between nakon sawan and Chiang mai, fines are always 500thb, I usually drive around 130km, yet see others fly past me with a death wish,

One thing that shits me is that I've used a friends car a few times, he has a new benz, e350, and regardless of what speed I'm doing I never get fined, I asked him if he gets fined and he does not, is this normal?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kmw said:

I drive regularly between nakon sawan and Chiang mai, fines are always 500thb, I usually drive around 130km, yet see others fly past me with a death wish,

One thing that shits me is that I've used a friends car a few times, he has a new benz, e350, and regardless of what speed I'm doing I never get fined, I asked him if he gets fined and he does not, is this normal?

Does he still has red tags on the car....if so, the dealer that sold him the car gets any tickets as red tags belong to/are registered with the dealer.   

Or maybe another neat trick is to "lightly spray" the license plates with white paint to make the black lettering blend-in with the white color of the plate.....it's like putting speckles of white on the the black lettering.  Makes the black lettering appeared very faded.  It's illegal of course, but many Thais do it. Then the speeding camera can not determine/make-out/get a clear snapshot of the license plate number.  No license plate number; no ticket. 

On 12/6/2018 at 8:38 PM, Pib said:

You are guessing wrong. People are caught at 121 for 120 limitation here.

On 12/7/2018 at 11:44 PM, kmw said:

Never got fine with the benz also, but I don't think that it is related ?!

On 12/6/2018 at 8:38 PM, Pib said:

10% plus 2

https://www.roadlawbarristers.co.uk/speeding-what-is-the-10-plus-2-rule-and-what-does-it-mean/

• Like 1