Britain can end Brexit unilaterally, EU court advisor says

snoop1130

1 hour ago, bomber said:

lies and negativity you call it,a pound down 20%,FTSE 100 lower than 1999 level,GDP just say rising but well down since the vote and lower than the majority of other EU nations,jobs market steady but slowing,investment down,confidence down,the £ more likely to fall further than rise,Labour favourites to win next GE. Looks great???? i await your usual reply of but youth unemployment in spain and Portugal is 30% so everything is fine.

If you can find a long term FTSE graph all the way through to 2018, please do so. It wlll not support your case. So yes, I would say the poster was correct in describing your posts as lies and negativity.

Brexit FTSE.jpg

EU youth unemployment.jpg

Edited by My Thai Life

15 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Brexit FTSE.jpg

31.12.1999 the ftse 100 finnished above 7000 this is what i stated,its currently under 7000 its been up to 7800 and down to 3800 after the crisis its still one of the worst performing.the other graph shows high youth unemployment but also shows its been dropping quite sharply in recent years plus all the companies leaving the UK should see the gap narrow in the coming years.

Edited by bomber

5 minutes ago, bomber said:

1.12.1999 the ftse 100 finnished above 7000 this is what i stated,its currently under 7000 its been up to 7800 and down to 3800 after the crisis its still one of the worst performing.the other graph shows high youth unemployment but also shows its been dropping quite sharply in recent years plus all the companies leaving the UK should see the gap narrow in the coming years.

The truth is you're comparing historical peaks against the current situtation: you are selecting unrepresentative point-in-time data to suit your political agenda.

Someone from the opposite camp could equally take historical troughs and "prove" a completely opposite point of view, actually with more credibility, as you can see from the graph I posted.

If you take a more professional metric, like a moving average, the FTSE is up.

Re sterling rate - the big depreciation of sterling against the baht happened well before Brexit. The fluctuations since then have been within a standard trading range.

People often misunderstand f-x; the US dollar traded at a "low" rate for decades, but the US was the strongest economy in the world, in part  because of the low dollar f-x rate. Most amateurs believe a low f-x rate means a weak economy - it doesn't.

Your assertions about GDP growth within the Eurozone are also incorrect: the Eurozone has slowed GDP growth for most of its members since its inception - all googleable.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The truth is you're comparing historical peaks against the current situtation: you are selecting unrepresentative point-in-time data to suit your political agenda.

Someone from the opposite camp could equally take historical troughs and "prove" a completely opposite point of view, actually with more credibility, as you can see from the graph I posted.

If you take a more professional metric, like a moving average, the FTSE is up.

Re sterling rate - the big depreciation of sterling against the baht happened well before Brexit. The fluctuations since then have been within a standard trading range.

People often misunderstand f-x; the US dollar traded at a "low" rate for decades, but the US was the strongest economy in the world, in part  because of the low dollar f-x rate. Most amateurs believe a low f-x rate means a weak economy - it doesn't.

Your assertions about GDP growth within the Eurozone are also incorrect: the Eurozone has slowed GDP growth for most of its members since its inception - all googleable.

I wouldnt call a 16% drop in the few hours after the result was confirmed as a standard trading range,at that rate it we could go to bed at night and wake up with it being worth nothing.

31 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

This didn't seem right to me so I look up GDP growth rate per capita for all the major developed EU economies and  and their growth didn't seem to slow down at all after the creation of the EU. In fact several perked up about that time. And that most definitely includes the UK. What makes this remarkable is that as advanced economies develop their growth rate should slow since all the easy pickings in productivity lie in the earlier stages. And yet...

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp-per-capita

https://tradingeconomics.com/france/gdp-per-capita

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/gdp-per-capita

https://tradingeconomics.com/sweden/gdp-per-capita

https://tradingeconomics.com/denmark/gdp-per-capita?continent=europe

https://tradingeconomics.com/netherlands/gdp-per-capita

https://tradingeconomics.com/belgium/gdp-per-capita-ppp

On 12/8/2018 at 4:00 AM, melvinmelvin said:

never heard of the lady before now,

she is a conservative MP, from the same party as the PM 

and the minister of foreign affairs

Can she speak English ?.

1 hour ago, My Thai Life said:

If you can find a long term FTSE graph all the way through to 2018, please do so. It wlll not support your case. So yes, I would say the poster was correct in describing your posts as lies and negativity.

Brexit FTSE.jpg

how can quoting the days closing figures on 2 particular days be called negative?they are there for all to see and will be for the next 200 years regardless of what direction it may go in the future,if i wanted to be negative i could of posted that fact that its dropped 10% in 2 months (7750 to below 6900) 

12 minutes ago, bomber said:

how can quoting the days closing figures on 2 particular days be called negative?they are there for all to see and will be for the next 200 years regardless of what direction it may go in the future,if i wanted to be negative i could of posted that fact that its dropped 10% in 2 months (7750 to below 6900) 

Stock markets are not a good way to gauge the health of an economy. If they were, then the bubbles of 2008 would have been augury of future prosperities.. A much better - though not perfect measure - is GDP.

Edited by bristolboy

Actually the second biggest drop began right before brexit, when the polls started spooking traders, and continued to plunge afterwards. 

I don't know what you mean by low. Generally when the US economy is strongest, the dollar is strongest. So to some extent a higher exchange rate reflects the market's valuation of the strength of an economy. On the other hand, as the rest of the world develops it's playing catch-up to the US economy. So it's inevitable that there would be some decline in the value of the dollar over time.

Also, the dollar is a particularly inapt currency to compare to the pound. The USA is a much more self contained economy than is the UK. As a percentage of GDP, the USA's imports and exports are less than half of the UK's. So the exchange rate isn't nearly as important to the USA as it is to the UK.

Anyway, here's a graph showing the value of the dollar against a basket of currencies over time:

image.png.f441e727e93bae004ea538e41c165b8f.png

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DTWEXM

2 hours ago, bomber said:

31.12.1999 the ftse 100 finnished above 7000 this is what i stated,its currently under 7000 its been up to 7800 and down to 3800 after the crisis its still one of the worst performing.the other graph shows high youth unemployment but also shows its been dropping quite sharply in recent years plus all the companies leaving the UK should see the gap narrow in the coming years.

Nice yahoo chart!

Try this one!

UK FTSE 100 Stock Market Index

Edited by nauseus

Sky Data have just announced their polls on the current situation

45% of people said the current situation would be more chaotic under a labour government, 33% said it would be more stable. The balance had no opinion.

42% though TM would be more competent to lead the UK through Brexit while 22% thought JC would be. 30 % didn't know.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Nice yahoo chart!

Try this one!

it shows exactly what i stated,i did nicely from it very late 80s and bailed out around 2001 (6400ish) to move to other ventures. been a bumpy ride since then and the coming of corbyn/brexit wont help 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Actually the second biggest drop began right before brexit, when the polls started spooking traders, and continued to plunge afterwards. 

it was only slightly down in the few weeks approaching brexit,the big drop came with it,the drops from 2007 onwards off topic and more a thai doing

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

I don't know what you mean by low. Generally when the US economy is strongest, the dollar is strongest. So to some extent a higher exchange rate reflects the market's valuation of the strength of an economy. On the other hand, as the rest of the world develops it's playing catch-up to the US economy. So it's inevitable that there would be some decline in the value of the dollar over time.

Also, the dollar is a particularly inapt currency to compare to the pound. The USA is a much more self contained economy than is the UK. As a percentage of GDP, the USA's imports and exports are less than half of the UK's. So the exchange rate isn't nearly as important to the USA as it is to the UK.

Anyway, here's a graph showing the value of the dollar against a basket of currencies over time:

image.png.f441e727e93bae004ea538e41c165b8f.png

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DTWEXM

i agree but try telling brexiteers a strong currency is important the only answer they can come up with is oh well it help our exports,what exports? i would also like to know how much more brits have had spent while outside the UK since brexit,money that would of went into the UK economy,very rarely does a weak currency help any nation,exception is China,the UK will not be the new China

10 hours ago, bomber said:

it shows exactly what i stated,i did nicely from it very late 80s and bailed out around 2001 (6400ish) to move to other ventures. been a bumpy ride since then and the coming of corbyn/brexit wont help 

Oh no it doesn't (panto season)!

You said the "FTSE 100 lower than 1999 level" and it isn't. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

Oh no it doesn't (panto season)!

You said the "FTSE 100 lower than 1999 level" and it isn't. 

the finish of the days trading on 31/12/1999 it finished above the 7000 mark for i believe the first time ever,120 seconds ago it stood at less than 6900 

2 hours ago, aright said:

Now that the FTSE 100 fake news has been resolved lets look at another comment.

If you ignore

The migration crisis that the EU is still squabbling about over three years after it began.

The Eurozone debt crisis 

Governments all over Europe moving to the far right

Losing one of its most important members and  net contributors.

An ongoing trade war with the USA

The continuing chronic unemployment and various member states heading back in to recession.

Complete paralysis in the EU project  because member states do not want further integration

It's all going great in the EU.

please explain what is complete paralysis,also EU zone debt crisis the UKs has its own so thats a strange remark,also trade wars you say well if there are trade wars then surely protect the trade you already have is the best option.Those EU issue's look nothing compared to the UKs mess,and no other nation will leave in the next 5-10 years that is 99.99% certain,if you think otherwise get your money on Italy at 2-1,i bet you dont though,more chance of leicester winning the PL again,get your money on JC as next PM 4-1 is buying money.

2 hours ago, damascase said:

Anything to divert attention from the Brexit shambles...........

correct a few minor squabbles between 27 nations and the brexiteers think the whole lots gonna come tumbling down,pretty sad really we know who is on its knees and cannot walk,anyway how many baht does the Euro buy in thailand today.???? 

2 hours ago, aright said:

Not at all, I accept that Brexit has been poorly handled but I don't regard that as a reason to stay in the EU. My reasons for leaving, looking back at what we are leaving and forward to perceived opportunities, haven't changed. Perhaps you could address the reasons I have given with respect to how you think the EU are going to solve those problems or why we should just perhaps ignore them and stay. 

perceived opportunities tell us again what they are,we walk away from a decent set up and go looking for opportunities while there's a war on,perfect timing.the EU have no more major problems to solve than pre brexit,stop thinking they need us more than we need them,its embarrassing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aright said:

What's embarrassing for you is your lack of comprehension of what I said. Where did I say they need us more than we need them? You make it up as you go along.

You seem to prefer to continue glorying in the UK's predicament rather than answer the question I asked on the EU's predicament. Stop dithering! If you can't answer the question say so, which in case you forgot was...…... 

Perhaps you could address the reasons I have given with respect to how you think the EU are going to solve those problems or why we should just perhaps ignore them and stay. 

what EU problems are you on about? whatever they are they dont affect me or the UK just as the UKs dont them unless your leave voter who seems to think otherwise,this is not the time to discuss EU internal matters if you hadnt noticed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1