Plastic bags, you've been warned.

Sparkles

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

Tops seem to be having "no bags" days once a week, seemingly selecting random days, at least at our local Tops.  So, we've taken to bringing tote bags with us whenever we go to Tops, much to the approval of the check-out staff.  In all fairness to those caught-out on the "no bags" days, they do have cardboard boxes available for customers to haul their purchases home.

However, we use the Tops bags for used kitty litter, triple bagging it before disposal, and are dangerously getting to the point where we will have to purchase plastic bags for this purpose.  So much for recycling and wise use of plastics. At least we won't have to triple-bag with purchased bags since they are more sturdy and don't have holes like the shopping bags usually do.

All our Kittty litter mess from our six cats goes over our wall but we do live in the country in the middle of the jungle no people no roads nothing near us at all just nature. :smile:

We also have a collection of canvas bags in both cars for Tops and supermarket stuff and have truthfully forgotten the last time we accepted a plastic bag from a shop, In Singapore where I lived for 20 years they are not called plastic bags but Singapore Brief Case. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7/11 could make a difference by not giving you a bag.

Go and pay your electric bill....get a bag (and a straw)

Buy a bottle of haiter bleach....get a bag (and a straw)

certainly most purchases do not warrant a bag as you would normally have 2 hands for carrying anyway.

You want a bag at Makro it costs you 11bt; you want a bag in an uk supermarket; you bring your own!

• Like 2

Quote " At least we won't have to triple-bag with purchased bags since they are more sturdy and don't have holes like the shopping bags usually do. "

Ever watched what the garbage service people do with plastic bags? Like you we put our garbage in a plastic shopping bag, tie it off place in the bin. The garbage service comes along, they pass the bags to their colleague in the back of the truck who empties the bag contents everywhere in the back of the truck and puts the bag with other empty bags?????????????????????????

Problem with all the big supermarkets, their cash out system is streamlined for plastic bags, coming to the check out counter with your own bags messes everything up, they have to put the stuff in your bags, which do not fit on the racks, slows everything up and everyone in line gets pissed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I always bring a canvas bag but,

they weigh the tomato, put in in a plastic bag and attach the price sticker

they weigh the orange, put in in a plastic bag and attach the price sticker 

etc, etc

Very rarely does someone put several in one bag with all the stickers.

Maybe people who are fluent and diplomatic could suggest this at weigh stations?

• Like 1

Why is there not a clamp down on food /product producers wrapping their products in light plastic.

For example I bought a small bottle of Zinc tablets off the shelf,well known brand,Its has a sealed plastic top ,the tear off type but in addition the whole bottle is wrapped in plastic which requires removal to get to the tear off top.That to me is a total over kill and although we always take our own cloth/hessian bags you still finish up with a small pile of plastic the type I believe is not re cyclable.

For a city as large as CM why not a central recycling plant instead of all the small outlets that often refuse to take what you deliver.There's money in recycling, would create some employment and help the planet. Belgium I believe reycles 87% of its waste.If you Google the "floating islands of plastic" around the oceans if you want to see the consequences

trash.jpg

9 hours ago, Throatwobbler said:

And very easy to refuse those bags and straws if you want. You are just quoting the same attitude of people who have been living here a long time and want to complain about everything. Things are getting better. It is taking time but things are getting better. Some people just don't want to look for the positives and just want to slag off the Thais to make themselves feel better. Like I said things are getting better here bit by bit. Are you doing that yourself?

The fact that I havnt even been inside a 7/11 for 2yrs and yet I still know what practices go on still allows me to comment I hope.

Dont make assumptions about people you dont know.

Oh, my bit for the environment...I recycle or compost almost everything. Have never bought anything in a tin and only have a bonfire at home on days with a Y in it.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:53 AM, jmd8800 said:

Maybe these would work for kitty litter. I use them for trash bags and forgo all shopping bags from stores. I buy them at Tops Chotana.

IMG_20181206_094544.jpg

All that glitters is not gold!  I looked up Oxo Biodegradable plastics and it is not recommended. 

EU takes action against oxo-degradable plastics

The European Commission has recommended EU-wide measures be taken against so-called ‘oxo-degradable‘ plastics. In a report published earlier this month, the Commission said that “a process to restrict the use of oxo-plastics in the EU will be started”. European Bioplastics (EUBP), the association of the bioplastics industry in Europe, strongly welcomes this clear commitment to take action. “EUBP has long been warning about the harmful effects of oxo-degradable plastics on the environment as well as the potential damage to the reputation and understanding of truly biodegradable plastics. Several cases of greenwashing and false claims have been reported over the past years that have lead to confusion about biodegradation in the general public,” says Hasso von Pogrell, Managing Director of EUBP.

https://www.european-bioplastics.org/eu-takes-action-against-oxo-degradable-plastics/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kokopelli said:

All that glitters is not gold!  I looked up Oxo Biodegradable plastics and it is not recommended. 

EU takes action against oxo-degradable plastics

The European Commission has recommended EU-wide measures be taken against so-called ‘oxo-degradable‘ plastics. In a report published earlier this month, the Commission said that “a process to restrict the use of oxo-plastics in the EU will be started”. European Bioplastics (EUBP), the association of the bioplastics industry in Europe, strongly welcomes this clear commitment to take action. “EUBP has long been warning about the harmful effects of oxo-degradable plastics on the environment as well as the potential damage to the reputation and understanding of truly biodegradable plastics. Several cases of greenwashing and false claims have been reported over the past years that have lead to confusion about biodegradation in the general public,” says Hasso von Pogrell, Managing Director of EUBP.

https://www.european-bioplastics.org/eu-takes-action-against-oxo-degradable-plastics/

Your post prompted me to do a search as well. Your post is about 'oxo-degradable' plastics and these bags are 'oxo-biodegradable'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OXO-biodegradation

The differences are explained.

8 hours ago, amexpat said:

I always bring a canvas bag but,

they weigh the tomato, put in in a plastic bag and attach the price sticker

they weigh the orange, put in in a plastic bag and attach the price sticker 

etc, etc

Very rarely does someone put several in one bag with all the stickers.

Maybe people who are fluent and diplomatic could suggest this at weigh stations?

If it's something you can stick a sticker to, like a tomato, I just ask them to stick it directly on it with no bag at all.

• Like 1

Another note, although this is not Chiang Mai related: I was in a Villa Market in Bangkok last week and there are no longer any plastic bags at all on any day. Bring your own, or they will sell you a reusable bag for 20 baht.

11 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Quote " At least we won't have to triple-bag with purchased bags since they are more sturdy and don't have holes like the shopping bags usually do. "

Ever watched what the garbage service people do with plastic bags? Like you we put our garbage in a plastic shopping bag, tie it off place in the bin. The garbage service comes along, they pass the bags to their colleague in the back of the truck who empties the bag contents everywhere in the back of the truck and puts the bag with other empty bags?????????????????????????

There is  good reason for this. Thailand still has  local landfills for garbage. International experience has proven tied off  rubbish bags that are eventually compressed  by  soil over fill do not decompose the contents due to the  lack of oxygen.

In your instance the  bags  may be  recycled in some  way. Here the refuse collectors simply  puncture the  bags  many times which  may suffice. 

Unfortunately land fill dumps eventually  exude all sorts of leachate into the surrounding soil and eventually the  water. 

The majority ignore the fact that rubbish  bags  contain  more than compostable items. Batteries, herbicide  containers, pesticide  containers, discarded antibiotics, eventually add to the the underground dispersion of poisons.

Some  countries  encourage  the surrender of  batteries  from(and/or )  laptops and  mobile phones and even pay for them. (Funded  by the extraction  of gold content).But  the  accumulated  mountains  of the greater heavy  metal  waste that nobody yet has  found an "economic" way to recycle sit as an example of our selfish stupidity and disregard  for   future  generations.

Couple that with the destruction  to fisheries by way of equally selfish ( illegal) waste dumping at sea .

Corporate interests that have  persuaded humanity  to believe consumption is personally imperitive (regardless of  any  quality ) need  be brought to account. 

Will  not happen  by  choice.

Will only happen  by the necessity of  survival.

And that is  most likely  to  be those  who have had the benefit of our own demise.

If not  by that  then by way of defying failure by applying the ultimate pollution ...nukes.

3 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Rimping started a no plastic bag policy a few months ago.  Accomplishes nothing.

If you want to reduce plastic bags, criminalize the manufacture and possession of the bags.

How could you possibly know that it "Accomplishes nothing"? 1, 100 or 1,000,000 less bags in the rivers, ocean and on the streets is an accomplishment.

"Criminalize the manufacturer" .... huh? Hello? Why?

It's not a crime, just a very positive step in the right direction!

TAIPEI, Dec. 27 (Xinhua) -- Starting from Jan. 1, 2018, Taiwan will expand restriction on the use of free plastic bags in shops to reduce waste.

The new measure will apply to about 80,000 additional shops. Violation of the rule may incur a fine of up to 6,000 new Taiwan dollars (about 200 U.S. dollars).

According to the environmental authorities of Taiwan, the restriction on free plastic bags will be expanded from seven types of store to 14 types, including pharmacies, electronics stores, book stores, stationery shops, laundries, beverage shops and bakeries.

The ban was first introduced to the island in 2002, covering shops such as supermarkets, chain stores and convenience stores. Since then, at least two billion plastic bags have been saved each year. It is estimated that another 1.5 billion plastic bags will be saved annually after the extension of the ban.

I was there in 2002 and the fact is there was no ban. What happened was that if you wanted a bag (or still want one) you had to pay about 1 baht for the regular red and white striped (ubiquitous) bag or 2 baht for the heavier gauge plastic ones. 

It made an almost immediate impact. 

Now, "Hypermarkets, supermarkets and convenience stores will be allowed, however, to sell "dual-purpose" bags that function both as a shopping bag and a trash bag.
The bags will come in three different sizes -- a 3-liter bag will cost NT$1, a 6-liter bag will cost NT$2, and a 14-liter bag will cost NT$5 -- and city residents will be allowed to use them when throwing out their garbage.
Taipei currently requires residents to store and throw out their garbage in certified trash bags that have to be purchased, a policy that was also aimed at reducing the use of plastic bags." --CNA

This is the only way to get plastic bags out of circulation. 

This BS about not using plastic straws, for example, is just feel-good nonsense. Like not flushing your toilet once a month even after you used it. "Saving water." 

And the truth is, bags are just the tip of the tidal wave.