Unoffical Spurs Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

I was sure we would lose this after the poor first half,  but what a turnaround with 10 men on the pitch. Great goal by Kane and an important win, should give them some confidence.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Had a good game yesterday especially as standin rightback. He's competitive and puts a shift in. Remember the flak he used to get on here from one Spurs fan.

During his first season most Spurs fans cringed whenever his

name was on the team sheet.

Last season was his 3rd and best season so far at the club,

even won the Legends Player of the Season Award.

For me, he is now an important senior player that offers variable

playing positions and physical endurance second to none,

the man is a beast, rarely gets injured and more stamina than

any other player in the squad. 

3 hours ago, sotsira said:

During his first season most Spurs fans cringed whenever his

name was on the team sheet.

Last season was his 3rd and best season so far at the club,

even won the Legends Player of the Season Award.

For me, he is now an important senior player that offers variable

playing positions and physical endurance second to none,

the man is a beast, rarely gets injured and more stamina than

any other player in the squad. 

I agree with much of that but he drives me nuts in the final third. When I see him with the ball at his feet in the final third I know nothing good is going to happen for Spurs. 

3 hours ago, jellydog said:

I agree with much of that but he drives me nuts in the final third. When I see him with the ball at his feet in the final third I know nothing good is going to happen for Spurs. 

Yeah, don't we know it, anyway, i reckon he will score a goal

this season. ????

Does not help when the Spurs players find out that most of Palace's players earn more than they do!!!

Dele Ali.....what has happened to him? A shadow of the player he used to be.

One of my sons supports Spurs so I pay attention to how they are doing.

Still they lost their first 2 group games last year and look where they finished

Yeah, I remember that kid Gnarby playing for Arsenal many years ago, was nothing special then and only played when there were injuries, but injuries and Arsenal are words that combine well so he was probably playing every week.

That my friends is why I don't believe the Champions League is the most important competition or that it proves who is the best in Europe.

Last night the club who less than 6 months ago didn't make it past the last 16, did that to the finalists on their own turf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t worry all. Alfie will be along soon with his “calm things down again” speech but this time his claim to fame will be that they have only let 7 in once this season. 

Edited by Kadilo

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

That my friends is why I don't believe the Champions League is the most important competition or that it proves who is the best in Europe.

Last night the club who less than 6 months ago didn't make it past the last 16, did that to the finalists on their own turf.

I'd prefer a return to proper knockout competition....mainly as this is a totally different style of football and sees teams forced to have a go and win at all costs especially in the second leg.

As to which is more important you will have to ask those who have won both.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly we lost the 3 first group games last year. And everyone counted us out, but with some luck and skills we ended up in the final.
Of course we never looked as bad as we did last night so no excuses.
We need to hit back good this weekend against Brighton, or else there's not much to look forward to rest of this season. 

3 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

As to which is more important you will have to ask those who have won both.

We are the fans Ronnie, so it's us who decide and its a matter of opinion. If I had to choose only one i'd sooner win the Prem than the CL. What's your choice? 

12 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

We are the fans Ronnie, so it's us who decide and its a matter of opinion. If I had to choose only one i'd sooner win the Prem than the CL. What's your choice? 

Well the CL has better teams and more prestige, lets face it any old team can be in the PL.

18 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I'd be delighted with any silverware mrboj but what I like most is walking out of the Lane feeling the team has performed well....glad I wasn't there the other night.

To answer Alfredo we should stick with 4-2-3-1 as its clearly our best formation.

No idea why he persists with the diamond nonsense....also time for Sanchez and Foyth to make their mark!

18 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Pep was saying the other day that MCFC had had some research done, which confirmed that City fans would much prefer winning the PL to the CL - just as you and i have been saying on the forum for donkey's.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

6 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Pep was saying the other day that MCFC had had some research done, which confirmed that City fans would much prefer winning the PL to the CL - just as you and i have been saying on the forum for donkey's.

Of course your going to say that because you have never won the CL or even got close, why not ask Man U or Liverpool supporters what they prefer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Of course your going to say that because you have never won the CL or even got close, why not ask Man U or Liverpool supporters what they prefer.

We/I can only tell you of my/our/City fans' in general preference, but go ahead ManU and Liverpool chip in with your personal opinion and that of your fans in general. 

Can't talk for others but for me the reason isn't  anything to do with because City won the PL/City haven't won the CL, it's to do with winning the PL to me means more, it shows over 38 games you WERE the best team in England that season and that's a nice feeling. Winning the CL doesn't reflect that you were the best team in Europe that season. I also relate to and enjoy more beating rival english clubs than i do beating teams i barely know in europe. Perhaps if they revamped the CL to be the best 2 teams in say the top 6 european  leagues playing in a league format then the winner of that probably would reflect the best team in that CL league and European  football; the current group stages then a knockout format does not necessarily reflect the winner being the best team in europe.

28 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We/I can only tell you of my/our/City fans' in general preference, but go ahead ManU and Liverpool chip in with your personal opinion and that of your fans in general. 

Can't talk for others but for me the reason isn't  anything to do with because City won the PL/City haven't won the CL, it's to do with winning the PL to me means more, it shows over 38 games you WERE the best team in England that season and that's a nice feeling. Winning the CL doesn't reflect that you were the best team in Europe that season. I also relate to and enjoy more beating rival english clubs than i do beating teams i barely know in europe. Perhaps if they revamped the CL to be the best 2 teams in say the top 6 european  leagues playing in a league format then the winner of that probably would reflect the best team in that CL league and European  football; the current group stages then a knockout format does not necessarily reflect the winner being the best team in europe.

It certainly reflects being the best team in Europe more so than winning the Premier league does, anyway until you win the CL your never going to be up there with the greats of Europe so best you get a move on ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alfieconn said:

It certainly reflects being the best team in Europe more so than winning the Premier league does

How so? Are you saying Liverpool were the best team in Europe last season because they won the CL? If you are then it must follow that liverpool as the best team in europe must therefore have been the best team in England. But liverpool got knocked out of the FA cup and the Carabao cup at the third round, came 2nd in PL, and only took 1 out of 6 points in the PL from the team that won ALL 4 trophies in England (for the 1st time ever). So i don't agree.

Think it's fair to say also that in some years the team that won the CL were not the best team in the competition and therefore  couldn't have been the best team in Europe.

THIS WEEK, ON SPURS …

In the era of the fly-on-the-wall football documentary, losing is the new winning. Sunderland’s slide towards League One and Nasty Leeds’ Spygate-tinged season were big on drama. Manchester City’s chronicle of a near-perfect season proved less so, with star turn, tactical cyborg Pep Guardiola, being reinvented as the kind of character you might spot in one of those vox pops at a provincial shopping centre. And now Tottenham are set to become the latest team to star in their own documentary, an all-access deal reportedly agreed with Amazon Prime. Last year, Spurs didn’t get their new stadium open until April, still got to Big Cup final, and promptly lost it within 23 seconds. With the cameras rolling behind the scenes this season, how could they possibly out-Spurs themselves? Fear not …

Spurs have been thrashed 2-2 by Manchester City, and let two-goal leads slip at Arsenal and Olympiakos. They’ve lost at home to a Newcastle team led by Bernard Cribbins, a manager whose idea of a punishment is giving his players the day off. Failing to win trophies has been a stable of previous editions, but going out of the Milk Cup to Colchester United – a team that new overseas audiences might suspect are fictional – was a nice twist. Then there’s Tuesday night’s jaw-dropping Big Cup Special, as Spurs were eviscerated by Bayern Munich, the most destructive guests at a new home since Mother!.

This truly was a double bill to savour, with Spurs getting thrashed twice in one game, their stadium emptied by two 10-minute bursts of vintage Bavarian ruthlessness. Serge Gnabry played the ice-veined villain, banging in four goals before tweeting “North London is RED”. The winger wasn’t rated by Tony Pulis at West Brom and let go by Arsenal for £5m, a crumb of comfort only visible under a microscope. Admittedly, Bayern had 10 shots on target to Tottenham’s eight, the implausible 7-2 scoreline fuelled by laser-guided finishing that had Hugo Lloris checking the dimensions of the goal behind him. But don’t let the facts get in the way of a riveting night’s viewing.

All of which leaves us wondering, again: what on earth happens next? Will Serge Aurier ever recover from his mid-game existential crisis? Could leading man Pochie, played with groin-grabbing intensity by Mauricio Pochettino, be hastily written out because his planet needs him? Or will they limp out of their group and end up lifting (then dropping, and irreparably damaging) Big Cup? Are these Spurs really the Spursiest Spurs who ever Spursed? Find out next time, on Spurs.