Unoffical Spurs Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

THIS WEEK, ON SPURS …

In the era of the fly-on-the-wall football documentary, losing is the new winning. Sunderland’s slide towards League One and Nasty Leeds’ Spygate-tinged season were big on drama. Manchester City’s chronicle of a near-perfect season proved less so, with star turn, tactical cyborg Pep Guardiola, being reinvented as the kind of character you might spot in one of those vox pops at a provincial shopping centre. And now Tottenham are set to become the latest team to star in their own documentary, an all-access deal reportedly agreed with Amazon Prime. Last year, Spurs didn’t get their new stadium open until April, still got to Big Cup final, and promptly lost it within 23 seconds. With the cameras rolling behind the scenes this season, how could they possibly out-Spurs themselves? Fear not …

Spurs have been thrashed 2-2 by Manchester City, and let two-goal leads slip at Arsenal and Olympiakos. They’ve lost at home to a Newcastle team led by Bernard Cribbins, a manager whose idea of a punishment is giving his players the day off. Failing to win trophies has been a stable of previous editions, but going out of the Milk Cup to Colchester United – a team that new overseas audiences might suspect are fictional – was a nice twist. Then there’s Tuesday night’s jaw-dropping Big Cup Special, as Spurs were eviscerated by Bayern Munich, the most destructive guests at a new home since Mother!.

This truly was a double bill to savour, with Spurs getting thrashed twice in one game, their stadium emptied by two 10-minute bursts of vintage Bavarian ruthlessness. Serge Gnabry played the ice-veined villain, banging in four goals before tweeting “North London is RED”. The winger wasn’t rated by Tony Pulis at West Brom and let go by Arsenal for £5m, a crumb of comfort only visible under a microscope. Admittedly, Bayern had 10 shots on target to Tottenham’s eight, the implausible 7-2 scoreline fuelled by laser-guided finishing that had Hugo Lloris checking the dimensions of the goal behind him. But don’t let the facts get in the way of a riveting night’s viewing.

All of which leaves us wondering, again: what on earth happens next? Will Serge Aurier ever recover from his mid-game existential crisis? Could leading man Pochie, played with groin-grabbing intensity by Mauricio Pochettino, be hastily written out because his planet needs him? Or will they limp out of their group and end up lifting (then dropping, and irreparably damaging) Big Cup? Are these Spurs really the Spursiest Spurs who ever Spursed? Find out next time, on Spurs.

Spurs have been thrashed 2-2 by Man City.

Got to laugh at this one!

18 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How so? Are you saying Liverpool were the best team in Europe last season because they won the CL? If you are then it must follow that liverpool as the best team in europe must therefore have been the best team in England. But liverpool got knocked out of the FA cup and the Carabao cup at the third round, came 2nd in PL, and only took 1 out of 6 points in the PL from the team that won ALL 4 trophies in England (for the 1st time ever). So i don't agree.

Think it's fair to say also that in some years the team that won the CL were not the best team in the competition and therefore  couldn't have been the best team in Europe.

I'll repeat to what i already said and what you didn't comment on 

anyway until you win the CL your never going to be up there with the greats of Europe so best you get a move on

which proves to the prestige of winning the CL.

Edited by alfieconn

On 10/2/2019 at 1:52 PM, mrbojangles said:

That my friends is why I don't believe the Champions League is the most important competition or that it proves who is the best in Europe.

Last night the club who less than 6 months ago didn't make it past the last 16, did that to the finalists on their own turf.

6 month is a long time in football, a lot has happened or not happened at Spurs over the summer , internal issues and current form all contributing to their situation.

Also they went after the game  when 4 goals behind, there is always a risk you will get countered. 

Bayern also have improved and have strengthen. 

So that theory is largely flawed.

It is the best competition in club football, the best teams in Europe play for the holy grail. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

We/I can only tell you of my/our/City fans' in general preference, but go ahead ManU and Liverpool chip in with your personal opinion and that of your fans in general. 

Can't talk for others but for me the reason isn't  anything to do with because City won the PL/City haven't won the CL, it's to do with winning the PL to me means more, it shows over 38 games you WERE the best team in England that season and that's a nice feeling. Winning the CL doesn't reflect that you were the best team in Europe that season. I also relate to and enjoy more beating rival english clubs than i do beating teams i barely know in europe. Perhaps if they revamped the CL to be the best 2 teams in say the top 6 european  leagues playing in a league format then the winner of that probably would reflect the best team in that CL league and European  football; the current group stages then a knockout format does not necessarily reflect the winner being the best team in europe.

You might want to try being 3 nil down to Barcelona and then beating them 4-0 against arguably the best attack in World football. That surely would be more exciting for you than your year on year 20 point procession against the likes of Stoke or Burnley. 

It does prove who the best team is in the Champions League, you still have to go out there and win it and that is not an easy task. 

2 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

6 month is a long time in football, a lot has happened or not happened at Spurs over the summer , internal issues and current form all contributing to their situation.

Also they went after the game  when 4 goals behind, there is always a risk you will get countered. 

It is the best competition in club football, the best teams in Europe play for the holy grail. 

There is no flaw in my theory. You can't have a flaw in a personal opinion, as it's an opinion. No excuse can be made for the CL finalists getting battered at home in that way, again IMO

This season, again if I had to make a choice it would be to win the Prem. CL great but not at the expense of the prem.

If you had to choose this season what would you wish for?

6 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

There is no flaw in my theory. You can't have a flaw in a personal opinion, as it's an opinion. No excuse can be made for the CL finalists getting battered at home in that way, again IMO

This season, again if I had to make a choice it would be to win the Prem. CL great but not at the expense of the prem.

If you had to choose this season what would you wish for?

You are saying because a team was in the European final they shouldn't lose a match like that 6 month later, is nonsense then ???? is that better. 

Yeah we all know that you and all the City fans don't rate the CL, because that's all you been saying since you were knocked out by us ????

Difficult question considering we are the Champions of Europe. Back to back would be amazing, but I'd love the league just as much.  

Bayern have peaked too soon; 11 more games left before they can win the thing.

Any truth to to rumours that Vertongen is doing Eriksson's missus and Harry Kane tried to punch Vertongen's lights out? The dressing room is supposedly split asunder and Poch is ready for the off. He is a football coach, not a marrige counsellor.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

You are saying because a team was in the European final they shouldn't lose a match like that 6 month later,

If your argument is that the CL winners are the best in Europe, the CL finalists should be 2nd best and therefore, that's exactly what I'm saying. And not 6 months but 4 months later. It's a high quality cup comp where luck is needed both in the 2 games and in the draw stages. On the night of the final, usually (but not always) the best team on the night wins

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

If your argument is that the CL winners are the best in Europe, the CL finalists should be 2nd best and therefore, that's exactly what I'm saying. And not 6 months but 4 months later. It's a high quality cup comp where luck is needed both in the 2 games and in the draw stages. On the night of the final, usually (but not always) the best team on the night wins

So the team that wins the World Cup may as well give their medals to the number 1 ranked team in the World that year if they are not number 1? And we should not consider them the best in the World if they win the World Cup?

43 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

So the team that wins the World Cup may as well give their medals to the number 1 ranked team in the World that year if they are not number 1? And we should not consider them the best in the World if they win the World Cup?

Don't know why your bothering with them Bob, we all know it is sour grapes because they have never got close to winning it, you'd think they would be all over winning it as it is the only trophy they haven't won plus being the biggest trophy in club football, like i have already said, no team goes down as a European Great without winning it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

Using a national team to try and make your point doesn't work as national teams can't have a domestic comp. Poor effort Bob. I expected better.

For absolute clarity. The CL is a huge prestige comp to win. Of that there is zero doubt. I just merely believe it's a cup knockout comp where luck on the day can play a huge part. It's equivalent to the FA Cup in England, it's not a comparison the league, or are you saying the winner of the FA Cup is the best team in England? The PL is a marathon over 38 matches and over circa 9 months.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

Using a national team to try and make your point doesn't work as national teams can't have a domestic comp. Poor effort Bob. I expected better.

For absolute clarity. The CL is a huge prestige comp to win. Of that there is zero doubt. I just merely believe it's a cup knockout comp where luck on the day can play a huge part. It's equivalent to the FA Cup in England, it's not a comparison the league, or are you saying the winner of the FA Cup is the best team in England? The PL is a marathon over 38 matches and over circa 9 months.

It does work, World Cup winners are the World Champions, CL winners are Champions of Europe. 

The best team in the Champions League is the team that wins the trophy. You play home and away group games and then there are knock out stages, it's the same format only no home and away.

You can't argue that the best team didn't win because the team that wins the trophy is the best team in that competition by definition of winning the trophy.

You are saying that the FA Cup is the same is absurd, it's nothing like it. 

You manage to beat every team in the Premier League every season but you can't do it in Europe at the same time. We were only one point behind you last season and lifted the European Cup, best team in Europe. While you are best team in the EPL, by one point. 

You are arguing about the format being the decider, yes the league is a more consistent measure, but you are not measuring yourself against the best in Europe and the format in the CL has a fair outcome in the end. You also have to take in to consideration that clubs are playing in their home country leagues also at the same time. 

Quite comical how most footballers and fans the world over rate it as the pinnacle, but you try and dress it down for your own importance. I don't know why you even bother watching it then. 

16 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Spurs have been thrashed 2-2 by Man City.

Got to laugh at this one!

If after reading that article, which absolutely destroyed Spursey Spurs, all you got out of it was the above then you truly are blinkered to the problems at your club.

6 hours ago, alfieconn said:

I'll repeat to what i already said and what you didn't comment on 

which proves to the prestige of winning the CL.

Huh? Because City haven't won the CL and might never win the CL "proves to the prestige of winning the CL" (love your english skills). No it doesn't. The CL is EUFAs biggest competition but winning it doesn't prove you were "the best team in europe that season". The 2nd part of the CL is a knockout and as with any cup knockout luck can play a part in it. 

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

It is the best competition in european football for clubs from differing countries to compete against each other is probably closer to the mark. However there's probably been seasons when the best clubs in the CL have all been from the same league, for example Barcelona, Real and Athletico. 

6 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

It does prove who the best team is in the Champions League, you still have to go out there and win it and that is not an easy task.

But it doesn't. I'm not saying Liverpool did this but it is possible due to the nature of cup draws to avoid the best or better teams who play each other and get knocked out.

It was an unusual CL last season in that the winner lost 3 out of 6 group stage games and one semifinal game which is hardly indicative of being the best team in the competition, and the losing finalist only won 2 of the 6 group stage games and lost 2 of the knockout round games.

What Liverpool proved was to be better than their opponents IN THE KNOCKOUT STAGES.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

In a cup competition the best team(s) can get knocked out and a lesser team can win it - for example were Denmark the best team in europe in Uefa 92, dont think so. Think of the clubs in england that have won the FA or League Cup - Birmingham, Wigan, etc, the best team won the competition, dont think so. That is the beauty (the romance) of cup competitions.

In the world cup, European cup competitions one of the best teams invariably wins it but not always the best.

In a league the best team can have the odd blip but over a season of games invariably the league winner was the best team in the competition.

3 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Don't know why your bothering with them Bob, we all know it is sour grapes because they have never got close to winning it, you'd think they would be all over winning it as it is the only trophy they haven't won plus being the biggest trophy in club football, like i have already said, no team goes down as a European Great without winning it.

...when you have no argument to make.

Alfie, not once have City or City's fans EVER, I repeat, EVER professed to being a European great. We have however been pretty decent in England over the past 8 years or so.

Interestingly i read an article recently that made the point that the reason Pep's (messi-less) teams don't win the CL is because they are built to dominate possession and games which is fine for winning leagues but means they don't react so well in cup competitions when one suckerpunch against the run of play can be enough to knock a team out of the cup.

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

The best team in the Champions League is the team that wins the trophy. You play home and away group games and then there are knock out stages, it's the same format only no home and away.

You can't argue that the best team didn't win because the team that wins the trophy is the best team in that competition by definition of winning the trophy.

So the best team in the CL is the one that wins it is it.

I dont think that's correct. Chelsea and Mourinho's Inter won it against the odds, which i greatly enjoyed, they were canny but hardly the best team in the CL in those seasons.

13 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

...when you have no argument to make.

Alfie, not once have City or City's fans EVER, I repeat, EVER professed to being a European great. We have however been pretty decent in England over the past 8 years or so.

Interestingly i read an article recently that made the point that the reason Pep's (messi-less) teams don't win the CL is because they are built to dominate possession and games which is fine for winning leagues but means they don't react so well in cup competitions when one suckerpunch against the run of play can be enough to knock a team out of the cup.

Where did i say they did ?  just making the point that if City want to be considered as a European great then they will have to win the CL.Lets face it, all the great teams over the years have been CL winner's.

Pretty decent in England !!! exactly that is not Europe is it ?

6 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Where did i say they did ?  just making the point that if City want to be considered as a European great then they will have to win the CL.Lets face it, all the great teams over the years have been CL winner's.

Pretty decent in England !!! exactly that is not Europe is it ?

I'm extremely happy with being pretty decent in England and long may it continue. I can live without  being CL winner as long as we keep winning the PL.

Still, being pretty decent in England beats being pretty decent in north london, eh ????