AIS Fibre Internet Speed Upgrades

Pib

For folks on AIS Fibre you know for the last several months that we've been getting 1 day speed upgrade "offers" when paying your monthly bill on time. 

Like I'm on a 200/50 plan and over the past several months after paying my bill within a few days I get an SMS with an 1 day speed upgrade offer....just need to click a button or two to activate the 24 hour upgrade offer.  So far I have been offered two free 1 day upgrades to 300/300 and a 1 day free upgrade to 1000/1000.  Took advantage of all three offers....activated all three.  These 1 day speed upgrade offers are nice as it gives you a chance to try out a faster speed plan for 24 hours....see if you can utilize/benefit from the faster speed or not.  

But today I got below speed upgrade notice via SMS....almost a "two month" upgrade to 300/70...not a 1 day thing.  And it's not an "offer" where you can choose to activate or not.  Instead, it's automatically activated....no need for you to do anything.   I'm running along at 300/70 speed right now....and will be thru 31 Jan 19.  

Anyone else get upgraded for a couple of months?

image.png.f6987ce889a2546e2103231f4f27b4fc.png

You not the only one, so do not feel too special, i too received same SMS ????????????

But let me edit, i do not think its offered to everyone, but serenade customers only, ie those who have been with AIS for over a year, high spenders.

I have Internet, AIS playbox and 2 numbers, my bills average 2300 baht per month and all postpaid

Edited by BestB

Speed test result via close (a couple of meters) Wifi connection between router and end device.  I expect if I connected via ethernet the download speed would be around 320Mb.  But most of my connections within the house are via Wifi...like my laptops and Android phones/tablets.  And the items connected via ethernet to my router like Android TV boxes and VOIP devices don't need, nor can utilize, high speed plans.  Heck a 4K streaming video only needs around 25Mb speed and a VOIP connection around 128Kb.  

And when taking into consideration where I really use my end device (computers, smartphones/tablets) within my two story home connected via Wifi, about all I can consistently/reliability get is around 230/150 from previous testing when I had the one day 300/300 and 1000/1000 speed upgrades. 

Or said another way, I really can't benefit from speed plans much faster than 200/100 since I use primarily Wifi connections and the Wifi speed capabilities/limitations of my end devices.  

image.png.f9a759652d576263ad06fdcd03415598.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shiver said:

Any idea how to get AIS SMS's in English like the above example?  Local shop doesn't really do English like you might find in some more touristy areas.

Just call them and say you want SMSs in English.  Maybe they have your language selection set to Thai.

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

Just call them and say you want SMSs in English.  Maybe they have your language selection set to Thai.

I use AIS for my phone provider, and they switched my texts from Thai to English when I called them. 

2 hours ago, Shiver said:

Any idea how to get AIS SMS's in English like the above example?  Local shop doesn't really do English like you might find in some more touristy areas.

Not only in the country areas. I went to the AIS shop in Terminal 21 Bangkok and spoke with the 'English-speaking' assistant and we could barely understand each other. At the third attempt I managed to get her to allow me AIS SMSs in English instead of Thai. I don't know now what number she called up on my phone to do it.

20 minutes ago, Seeall said:

whats the point of having anything faster than a few mb/s when most servers are outside TH and bottleneck gets you

True. I use 3BB for internet with 100/30. I usually hit the target with their speed test, but when I check using testmy.net using European servers I barely get 30 download. That's fine anyway, including for TV, so I don't feel a need to 'upgrade'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

True. I use 3BB for internet with 100/30. I usually hit the target with their speed test, but when I check using testmy.net using European servers I barely get 30 download. That's fine anyway, including for TV, so I don't feel a need to 'upgrade'.

Do you suffer with buffering or freezing when watching a UK programme ?  I have TOT fiber 85/25 that does often mess up despite the Ookla speed test showing good results but then as you say running testmy.net it can drop to single figures because of throttling by TOT when leaving Thailand servers . 

I have today seen a poster ad by 3bb in my soi 100/50 for 900 baht a month . Till now TOT was the only available fiber service in my location . Does anyone know if 3bb are a better performer ?

Just done a testmy.net and first one was 12.7/6 and the second 12.4/21.5   at 18 00 hrs . tOT 77/24

3 hours ago, superal said:

Do you suffer with buffering or freezing when watching a UK programme ?  I have TOT fiber 85/25 that does often mess up despite the Ookla speed test showing good results but then as you say running testmy.net it can drop to single figures because of throttling by TOT when leaving Thailand servers . 

I have today seen a poster ad by 3bb in my soi 100/50 for 900 baht a month . Till now TOT was the only available fiber service in my location . Does anyone know if 3bb are a better performer ?

Just done a testmy.net and first one was 12.7/6 and the second 12.4/21.5   at 18 00 hrs . tOT 77/24

I've had 3BB for about two months after changing from CAT. 3BB gave us a 50 per cent discount for six months for changing to them! And they have been perfect so far. I'm paying for 100/30 and it runs very close to that, constantly.

As for buffering, that can depend on so many factors and no system will be perfect. When I announced on here that I was leaving HDPrime I was contacted by someone who runs an IPTV service. He is extremely knowledgeable and offers a first class service that offers backups to many stations as well as catchup. If one channel has problems there is the backup, and after reporting any such problems they are fixed promptly.

There is a little bit of buffering, but far better than when I used CAT. Buffering rarely lasts more than 30 seconds, usually less, and if there is a temporary problem I keep a backup close by in my favourites so a switch takes seconds if necessary. I changed providers on his advice, and also use a cable from the router as that is always more stable than wifi. Picture quality is first class. It's something like a miracle, actually, to be able to watch more UK (and other) channels than I could ever need.

The box, which he sets up, cost me 2500 and the fee paid three-monthly is 1500. There was a plan to raise it to 1800 but I don't know if that has taken place. It was postponed a few weeks ago.

PM me if you want his contact info.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:24 PM, Pilotman said:

I am with TOT.  Used to have 4G which worked perfectly.  One week ago, they fitted fibre and the whole thing has slowed down, so much for progress. 

4G has nothing to do with fibre.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:22 PM, BestB said:

But let me edit, i do not think its offered to everyone, but serenade customers only, ie those who have been with AIS for over a year, high spenders.

Regular AIS subscribers too, I got this upgrade to next level till 31st January, from the low end of the price range.

5 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Really? Well it does for comparison purposes. 

True Move is supposed to be the fastest 4G network in Thailand @ speeds 'up to 10.9 Mbps'. In UK it can be up to 60Mbps. Optic fibre can be 2-300 Mbps or more. Yes, really !

Edited by wgdanson

On 12/8/2018 at 11:19 AM, muratremix said:

my 3bb in shop is 300/150 for 1 month, probably a counter offer to AIS promotion.

I can get 300/150 via 5ghz AC wifi easily thanks to easy set up of your own router.

AIS provided zte H298A  wifi sucks. 

5Ghz WiFi can support up to 1300 Mbps, which is great if your network is a Gigahertz network, and your internet package is 1,2, or 300 Mbps.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

True Move is supposed to be the fastest 4G network in Thailand @ speeds 'up to 10.9 Mbps'. In UK it can be up to 60Mbps. Optic fibre can be 2-300 Mbps or more. Yes, really !

I get 100 mbps and more easily with AIS 4g on iphone.

To those that are using AIS fibre, are you happy with the service ?

what about cost ?, I am thinking of changing from TOT fibre,which

90% of the time is OK, but the main reason is when the government

gives FREE Internet to the poor,and TOT is going to be the provider,

I suspect it's going to slow down a lot ,if millions take up the offer.

regards Worgeordie

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, worgeordie said:

To those that are using AIS fibre, are you happy with the service ?

Also user for number of years, and very happy. I have True and AIS coming in, and if I had to choose one it would be AIS. Never had TOT in fairness, so cant offer any comparison there.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:19 AM, muratremix said:

my 3bb in shop is 300/150 for 1 month, probably a counter offer to AIS promotion.

I can get 300/150 via 5ghz AC wifi easily thanks to easy set up of your own router.

I don't know who started it first. But well before Pib's original post here re AIS Fiber, 3BB Fiber was offering a promotion (3BB Privilege) for its customers who could choose to upgrade their fiber speeds based on an earned points system. It began about two or three months ago, and is supposed to continue at least thru 2018.

The upshot has been that a person on their 200/100 Mbps fiber and paying 1284b per month and paying their bill on time would accumulate enough points for an optional one week upgrade per month to the next higher 300/150 Mbps service level.

Originally, 3BB had a pretty low points requirement for the upgrade, so I could get two weeks out of the month of upgrades. But lately, they've raised the required points to earn the upgrade, so now I'm only able to quality for a 1 week upgrade period per month. Not sure if their rewards system is going to continue into 2019.

https://www.3bbprivilege.com/rewards/detail/7/16

Along the way, I asked 3BB what the pricing would be for their 300/150 Mbps plan if I ever wanted to upgrade to it on a permanent basis. And their answer lately was 3000b per month, which is down from the 4280b price they quoted me a few months back for the same 300/150 service.  Last time I checked (which was today), 3BB's website is still not listing any rates for any service above their 200/100 Mbps fiber plan.  Oddly, they seem to regard any of their unadvertised higher speed fiber plans (they actually have various fiber plans up to 1 GB) as only of interest to business customers.

https://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/internet_package/2

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

3000 baht is too much. You can get 1gbit for 3000 baht from AIS or better, True and TOT sells 1000Mbit fiber for 1590 baht only.

I expect they'll raise speeds and reduce prices soon.

Maybe 500/100 for 1200 baht and then offer 1000/200 for 1590 baht later.