Brexit won't have grave impact on German economy: employers' group

webfact

Brexit won't have grave impact on German economy: employers' group

2018-12-14T042650Z_1_LYNXMPEEBD064_RTROPTP_4_GERMANY-POLITICS-MERKEL.JPG

Ingo Kramer, chairman of the Confederation of German Employers' Associations (BDA), delivers a speech during the German Employers' Day, in Berlin, Germany November 22, 2018. REUTERS/Fabrizio Bensch

BERLIN (Reuters) - Britain's departure from the European Union will hit some German businesses harder than others, but should not have a serious impact on the overall economy, the head of Germany's BDA employers' organisation said on Friday.

BDA President Ingo Kramer told the Augsburger Allgemeine newspaper he expected the German economy to weather the transition since Britain was only one of several important trading partners.

"Of course Brexit will affect economic developments in Germany, especially some individual companies, but it will not have a serious impact on the overall economy," he said.

Kramer cited estimates of German economic growth of around 1.5 percent in 2019, but said there were signs Germany's positive economic momentum of recent years was ebbing.

Britain's departure from the EU, its biggest shift in trade and foreign policy for more than 40 years, has run into problems complicated by deep divisions in the Conservative Party, the lower House of Commons and the country.

British Prime Minister Theresa May this week survived an attempt to topple her at home but said she did not expect to secure a quick breakthrough in Brexit talks that would allow her to speed her divorce deal through parliament.

Kramer also underscored the importance of migration for the German economy, and said Germany could face economic declines like those seen in the 1990s if it closed its doors to migrants.

He said nearly 400,000 of the roughly one million migrants who came to Germany since 2015 now had a spot in a training programme or a job, and were integrated into German society, validating Chancellor Angela Merkel's upbeat prediction of "We'll manage it."

"Mrs. Merkel was right with her statement. Yes, we will manage the integration," Kramer said. "I'm surprised myself that it's happening so quickly. But employers are doing it. Especially we medium-sized businesses are looking for workers."

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Alexandra Hudson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-14

2 hours ago, Ulic said:

My guess is you don't count the break-up of former Yugoslavia. The terrorism across Europe doesn't count either. I don't think the formation of the EU has done what you think for peace. The integration of former east block countries into the EU and NATO without leaving a buffer is also ill-advised. Ukraine is just a little push-back as the EU pokes the bear. If you think Europe is all peace and harmony you are mistaken.

The breakup of Yugoslavia was a consequence of the end of the Tito era. Nothing to do with the rest of Europe. As for terrorism, I wasn't able to find any definitive figures for 2018 so far, but in 2017 62 people died in terrorist attacks. That's about 1 death per 8 million people. Road deaths in Europe were about 50 per million people.  Which is 400 times as many. And it's kind of weird that you assign some sort of responsibility to the EU for the breakup of Yugoslavia and terrorism, but responsibility for the Russian invasion of Ukraine is somehow not Russia's.

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

well he wouldnt say anything else would he, wait and see sunshine, EU gonna lose 16% of their income , oh and you are welcome to the scrounging immigrants  bye bye

Oh, you forgot how much UK's income will shrink!!! Maybe pensions will be cut. And that is good so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well I am pleased for them. I don't wish for their (or any countries) economy to decline.

Perhaps a similar lack of enthusiasm ("schadenfreude" may be the term - but then what do I know as a Little Englander who has spurned the European Ideal?) may be shown by those opining on the future for the UK?

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Merkel has stated a few times that the UK must suffer a bit because the UK is leaving the fraudulent corrupt eu.
Don't get mad..get even emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Bull, you are misinterpreting what she said for political reasons. Links to real news articles if they actual exists (not rags).

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Bull, you are misinterpreting what she said for political reasons. Links to real news articles if they actual exists (not rags).
Merkel's been quoted in various UK newspapers last coupla years coming out with the UK must suffer little bit.
As a patriotic Brit I will stand up for my home country and not take any imo insult from some foreigner
End of!!!!

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Merkel has stated a few times that the UK must suffer a bit because the UK is leaving the fraudulent corrupt eu.
Don't get mad..get even emoji6.png

OK, provide one case where she said that or even similar

She did say that it would not be possible to have a better deal than members of the EU.

• Like 1

OK, provide one case where she said that or even similar

She did say that it would not be possible to have a better deal than members of the EU.
No..she said that the UK must suffer a little bit.
I read various UK papers daily and have a great memory.
If you want proof of what she said..suppose you will have to try and dig out her quotes.
Probably very tedious work.

32 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

No..she said that the UK must suffer a little bit.
I read various UK papers daily and have a great memory.
If you want proof of what she said..suppose you will have to try and dig out her quotes.
Probably very tedious work.

Seems like you might have a better memory than Google. I did a few searches and came up with nothing.

8 minutes ago, malagateddy said:

I read daily the Daily Mail and the Daily Express..should be in their archives somewhere.

Oh yes, I remember reading that newspaper... they reported an alien spaceship traveling to earth (very slowly - it would have taken millions of years in space to get here - so the aliens must be very patient)... Probably won't have long to worry about brexit because Aliens are hatching from their pods now ????