"Expensive" Phuket dead as a dodo this high season

webfact

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Looks lovely.  Nice and quiet.  Might go there next week.  

Maybe the tourists were put off, not by the price, but by the dirty, smelly and scruffy streets, rubbish on the beach, and polluted brown sea water?  

all ads up....

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

junk ceylon at noon yesterday was very busy and more farangs than Chinese,which is a nice change,

Kamalabeach over the past week has seen a huge increase in people on the beach

Trafiic between Kamala and Central last week was double what it was the week beofre.

Yea,go out at 9 am on beach road in Patong it will be empty!!

lots of eastern people, many looking like putin

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Issanman said:

I just spent two weeks in Patong. It certainly was not dead.

All of the beaches I went to were very clean, as were the streets.

Great deals on good food were not hard to find.

Plenty of friendly people.

I will be going back.

How did you find the costs, expensive?

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Looks lovely.  Nice and quiet.  Might go there next week.  

Maybe the tourists were put off, not by the price, but by the dirty, smelly and scruffy streets, rubbish on the beach, and polluted brown sea water?  

I thought those were the reasons people went to Phuket

• Haha 2

Suits me- Phuket was reaching saturation point. I have noticed Kamala is extremely quiet this year at night but it works for me. There has been an increase in tourists but its not as big as last year. Big C seems to be doing a roaring trade and the bars are suffering.

I have no interest in touristy stuff so the downturn doesn't affect me either way. It does make me laugh reading some of the comments of the 'Phuket Knockers' though- they never change their record.

Unlike others I don't find Phuket too expensive (and I don't hang around 7-11s either). Maybe expensive for a holiday but once one lives here its easy to settle into a routine. When I go up to Pattaya I find its far more expensive but that's because I am in holiday mode.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nielsk said:

Why not ?  Good with comparison to put things in perspective !!

Because it is Phuket specific, and does not suggest there will be any benchmarking against other destinations. So, if you want that, then start your own topic in the vein of 'Phuket tourism versus Pattaya tourism' Have a nice day !

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

The folklore story of the goose who laid golden eggs comes to minds right now...

The place is dependant on tourists providing thousands of jobs.

How come the shops / businesses / tour agencies / tour providers / boat owners and operators didn't start to work together to make some industry self regulations etc., to protect their industry?

By the way have any locals seen any obviously noticeable changes in safety regulations, and even more important actual safety behaviors in the way sea travel / dive tours operate?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:
5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Phuket is not alone in having very few tourists. Pattaya looks like the depths of low season compared with a few years back. It will be tough for TAT to spin some lies to pretend this is not the case, when the evidence, or lack of it, is clearly visible to all. Thailand has problems with its tourist industry, and it is time for the denial to stop.

Remember the guy who recently said tourism was down by 20% he was replaced by the guy who said it was up by 20%.

You can add Chiang Mai to that list. Yes there are a good smattering of westerners here now but, the bottom has already dropped out of the big hotel boom and the sell off is a fact. Just no buyers. A race to the bottom?

• Like 1