What is this royal Enfield?...

taninthai

14 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

True but people who are interested in this type of bike don’t expect or care about performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, or build quality, they are just interested in the old British name that was sold to India, a but wierd really.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

I happened to drive past an Enfield dealer the other day, so pulled over and walked in.

I have to say i was very very impressed by the Himalayan.

Built very much in the vein of a Ural or Dneiper. A tank on 2 wheels. Utalitarian. Mebbe even agricultural. Simple & unfashionable.

Steel rims, but very heavy duty along with H/D spokes and nice hubs. Good tyres. Impressive fork legs.

I liked the analogue clocks and dash.

Can't make my mind up on the weird but practical tank guards / front pannier racks.

Decent fit & finish.

Some of the small shouldered 6-8mm nuts looked a bit iffy but that could just be the Indian BZP.

An old school Luddite like myself who appreciates low revving, higher torque motorcycles could prolly enjoy this bike trundling along at 90-100 kph on back roads. I would go as far to say it's prolly a more pleasant m/c for 80/20 road/off road work than the Japanese 250's.

And only 10k more than a KLX and 35k more than a CRF.

They actually remind me of the old tractor KLR 650's which were watercooled, slow, heavy, but would just chug thru anything.

The 500 Classic Bullets i was less enamored with, mainly because it was a mish mash of classic retro styling, but then super modern switchgear, the engine fault logo on the clocks, and the disc brake all looking out of place. And for a big bloke they are a physically small bike.

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 9:17 PM, thaiguzzi said:

But 33% more torque.

...and a much more useable band at low rpm.

What is annoying is that in Europe the Enfield is 30% cheaper than the CRF, here it is 30% dearer.

Edited by AllanB