General: I've never seen a case of Thais conning Thais - it's always foreigners who are responsible!

webfact

OK So that makes sense in a Trump sort of way. It was once explained to me that I am the one that caused an accident when a guy on a scooter ran into the back of my car in Phuket, because if I had not been there, the accident would not have happened. So it is the other people's fault for allowing themselves to be duped. The guy would not have stolen their money if they had not allowed him to. So it is not his fault. 

reminds me of the early 2000s when i first started to spend time here, i would often hear the refrain; thai will never hurt thai, thai love thai or similar, i often tried to explain the ridiculousness of such statements to the utterer but to no avail.

fast forward to today, do i ever hear such sentiments from thais now? never.

• Like 2

i have it from a good source that it was a slow day and he just said that to rile up the Thaivisa crowd.

He is now monitoring the remarks...... (if he can remember his password )

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ningnong said:

Give the guy a break.

I read the article in Thai that the OP has a link too. He is clearly talking in reference to romance scams, Facebook groups, web dating sites etc.

My translation of what he said: speaking for himself he never saw a Thai cheating another Thai. He has seen where foreigners have cheated Thais.

In all fairness I have mostly only read about romance scams where Thai women get conned by Nigerians often posing as a desirable Westerner.

We are not talking about Ponzii schemes here.

Usually Thai's involved somewhere in the scam

Goodness me. How many more xenophobic, ignorant, foreign hater messages do you want to send out into the world. Time they realised the damage they are doing or the tourism and foreign investment will continue to fall. Wake up Thailand, you are only harming yourself.

• Like 1

Ah, it seems the policeman has forgotten about Sri Thanonchai, an interesting character from folklore who could be described as either cunning or a trickster, depending if you gained or lost by his actions. The policeman especially should know about Sri Thanonchai as his story involving the King of Ayutthaya is rather amusing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sri_Thanonchai

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

General Amphon.... you for real?????

You have never seen a case of Thais conning Thais, that must rate as 1 of the most stupid remarks of the year.

Or he's blind :whistling:

• Haha 1

...and that folks is a good example of someone out of touch with the reality of their country and job!

Ask the rice farmers about Thaksin?

Ask the many Thais in stories on here and other Thai newspapers about land grabs, property miss-sold, about cars sold by Thais to Thais without disclosure of HP (loans) still owing on the vehicle, about the love scandals, about the gold transactions.... oh forget it.... incompetent leading the incompetent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Truly unbelievable. If the good General has never come across Thais ripping off other Thais, you have to say he obviously hasn't been doing his job. Every week there are reports of Thai ponzi schemes, run by Thais, ripping their country men off. Trying to suggest foreigners are solely responsible is an appalling and disgraceful comment to make, which also shows his complete ignorance.

Thais ripping off Thais?

Full prisons

Thais ripping off foreigners?

Many cases, but not many in prison.

Foreigners ripping off Thais?

Happens, but not nearly 1% as the other way around.

This police general must be hugely ignorant of reality.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

To make such a statment he clearly neither follows nor understands Thai politics.  As the cornerstoner on which that system is built is on complete opposition to his blindingly uninformed and untrue statement.

Come back Taksin, Yingluck all os forgiven.

...or maybe many of us don't or don't want to understand the Thai cornerstone...????