First satellite made-in-Thailand enters orbit

snoop1130

First satellite made-in-Thailand enters orbit

By The Thaiger

ABCaction-news.jpg

PHOTO: ABC Action news, Bangkok Post

A Thai university has announced that the first domestically produced satellite has now entered orbit. Weighing in at 1 kilogram and measuring only 10 centimetres on each side, the tiny educational satellite was one of 64 on board the recent SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launched from California on Tuesday.

Pongsatorn Saisutjarit heads the research team who designed and build the satellite at the King Mongkut University of Technology North Bangkok (KMUTNB).

Pongsatorn studied in Tokyo Gakugei University and graduated from the University of Tokyo’s department of Aeronautics and Astronautics. Pongsatorn believes that the systematic thinking process and precision techniques he learned in Japan helped make this project a success.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/first-satellite-made-in-thailand-enters-orbit

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

Pongsatorn believes that the systematic thinking process and precision techniques he learned in Japan helped make this project a success

Had to go Japan for Systematic thinking process and precision techniques .. Are these not available in the Kingdom .? And does little satellite know about Pee Nebula up there ..

IMG_20181220_212103.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The satellite uses amateur radio frequencies for data transmission along with an iPhone 4 camera. Its antenna is fashioned from a metal tape measure purchased at a Japanese dollar store and most of its components come from Japan, while some Japanese companies offered their expertise in support of the project." The Thaiger.

Is this really news worthy? I remember as a trainee compositor putting an article in the Picton Post, a gate had been stolen. It up there with such reports.

• Haha 1

61 years ago the Soviet Union launched Spoutnik which had a mass of 83.7 kilos, using their own rocket. What makes me sad is that this gives us an accurate reflection of the state of this country. To add insult to injury the first time I came to Thailand, in 1979, China's development was lagging way behind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I heard that Big Joke is actually hiding in the rocket with a high powered binoculars to check on those awful farangs doing illegal visa runs on the Poipet frontier crossing.

And don't forget to mention all the farangs scamming Thai people.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

Later we will find out it was a 12" subwoofer that was playing boom boom cowbell music into space to hunt for unintelligent life forms. 

LMAO!!!! ????????????????????????

What a great way to start the day. Thanks!

"The satellite uses amateur radio frequencies for data transmission along with an iPhone 4 camera. Its antenna is fashioned from a metal tape measure purchased at a Japanese dollar store and most of its components come from Japan, while some Japanese companies offered their expertise in support of the project." The Thaiger.

Is this really news worthy?

Actually, the idea of these Cubesats is that they use components that can be bought off the shelf.  The estimated life of a Cubesat may be from a few days to a year or so.  Therefore, expensive, space-hardened components are not required. The projects demonstrate that functioning mini-satellites can be built using cheap, common components.

Using ham radio bands for uplink and downlink data transmissions is the norm - it minimises any spectrum licencing issues and costs.

The metal tape antenna is also the accepted design method for the VHF/UHF antenna.  Why?  Because during launch, the tape is curled up safely and cannot interfere with the ejection mechanism to launch the minisat into orbit.  Once jettisoned into space, a data signal releases the tension of the tape measure and it automatically unfurls in the vacuum environment.

Sometimes, the most simple solutions are the best ones ????

For Myansat 1 (the Cubesat that I've designed for Myanmar), it also uses a metal tape measure antenna. 

The rechargable battery is one designed for a Nokia phone. 

The solar panels were ordered on Lazada.

The beacon transmitter (to locate the satellite once in orbit) is a tiny unit that radio hams use for radio 'fox-hunting'.

The data transmitter and receiver is a Chinese unit that's usually used in cheap walkie-talkies.

Instead of a camera, Myansat has an onboard MP3 player that will play audio data streams (for decoding back on earth), as well as an unencoded recording of the Myanmar national anthem  Actually, if the Myanmar government put the brakes on my project, then I can re-record that music to be the Lao national anthem, Botswanan national anthem or perhaps Monty Python's "I'm a Lumberjack"....

• Thanks 2