Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? complain students

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The group complaining at Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna accepted that English was important but it should not be a requirement to study Thai courses.

I agree with them, this University is the lowest level of Thai higher education, they shouldn't have to learn a foreign language to enter.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you know 550 THAI words or care or want to since your in Thailand? I think the kids are right and my daughter graduated from that University eith an English degree.
No they aren't. In every other engineering university in the world u will have to pass English tests, same for computer science, medicine and co.

Every medical class in mahidol university is held for a reason as absolutely every research paper gets released in english and if u can't speak english u cannot contribute to science at all and are not worthy a university degree.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Re the student representative demand to drop English as an entry requirement, the University Governing Body might follow through on English being required in graduate employment by referring to course study objectives. Might be tricky. First, are English classes a part of the core curriculum for all students. Secondly, are any classes conducted in English. Thirdly, are any textbooks written in English part of course curriculum. Just number three would be sufficient to justify a minimum level of ability in English. 550 words probably not sufficient for the above. Students only possessing a minimum level could be sold additional support classes. Problem is, by drawing attention to this issue, the students might end up getting something rather different than they bargained for.

Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? 

So when Lao, Burmese, Cambodian, etc. students ask the same question, the answer won't be: "Do you want to wind up like Thai students and only be qualified to work in a noodle stand?")That's assuming they don't have to count out change). 

9 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:
4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You have to say that if they are incapable of learning 550 words of English that they are too stupid to be going to university anyway. They should go straight into the job market cleaning toilets or sweeping the street, tasks commensurate with their intellect.

Do you know 550 THAI words or care or want to since your in Thailand? I think the kids are right and my daughter graduated from that University eith an English degree.

Since you ask, I speak very good Thai. I am not completely fluent, but not that far off it. Yesterday in the bank I was having a conversation with the staff, who wanted to know was I going home for the New year, and how often did I go there normally, which I handled in Thai without a hiccup. I can read and write it too. Again not perfectly, because I don't know all of the words yet. I didn't learn any of it to pass an exam. I did so, because I was capable of doing it, recognised its value and made the effort.

Given the world is a smaller place these days and people really wanting to get ahead appreciate the value of knowing other languages, I reiterate that those who are unable, or unwilling to learn at least a few basics, probably shouldn't be going to university anyway.

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I agree with them, this University is the lowest level of Thai higher education, they shouldn't have to learn a foreign language to enter.

Interesting to compare with the UK where the majority of school leavers cannot even achieve a decent grade in their own language, never mind a foreign one. PS I wonder how many British bar-goers on Soi Buakhaow have a good grade in English Language GCSE? 

4 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

550 words is <deleted> all. My 3 years old has more than that and she can translate Thai to English for me. It seems that these morons want to remain in their moronic isolation. Obviously no one has asked them what language they speak in Asean,  or the World.

Absolutely, of native speakers in the UK the average usable vocabulary on entering year 1 is 2150 words, these universites have set their requirment at a pre-K level of English, about the expectation of entry to early years foundation 1, which is aged 3.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Since you ask, I speak very good Thai. I am not completely fluent, but not that far off it. Yesterday in the bank I was having a conversation with the staff, who wanted to know was I going home for the New year, and how often did I go there normally, which I handled in Thai without a hiccup. I can read and write it too. Again not perfectly, because I don't know all of the words yet. I didn't learn any of it to pass an exam. I did so, because I was capable of doing it, recognised its value and made the effort.

Given the world is a smaller place these days and people really wanting to get ahead appreciate the value of knowing other languages, I reiterate that those who are unable, or unwilling to learn at least a few basics, probably shouldn't be going to university anyway.

I commend you for speaking Thai. I do already too. But I disagree with you when they have to on an entrance exam. 

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Absolutely, of native speakers in the UK the average usable vocabulary on entering year 1 is 2150 words, these universites have set their requirment at a pre-K level of English, about the expectation of entry to early years foundation 1, which is aged 3.

There is no exam which measures usable vocabulary per se as an entry test to UK universities. Nor do entry requirements reference native speakers. Entry requirements are set according to UK exams or equivalent. One might assume that all native speakers have 'passed' GCSE language, but the pressure on admissions systems uses 'equivalent' and other flexibilities to bypass supposed minimums. Dumbing down is not something special to the Thai educational system, but they do, on occasion, set some interesting standards. 

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Interesting to compare with the UK where the majority of school leavers cannot even achieve a decent grade in their own language, never mind a foreign one. PS I wonder how many bar-goers on Soi Buakhaow have a good grade in English Language GCSE?

66.3% got a decent grade in English this year, a clear majority.  Foreign languages are no longer compulsary in the UK and only 43% took one at GCSE last year, but of those who took GCSE French 71% got a decent grade and of those who took German 74% got a decent grade, it would not be fair to assume that those who did not choose to take a foreign language could not have achieved a decent grade in one.

Of course, in all probability, they have been given a good grade in all their previous English Exams, (parents paid), never actually turned in any homework or done any work in class with no sanctions (parents too influential) and have now run up against a barrier which they can't bypass

Yes, unfortunately the educational system (like in many underdeveloped countries) is face based. If a student is failed it has a domino effect, teacher looks bad, teachers boss looks bad and so on down the line. So when students are allowed to progress in English without actually learning (which the majority do) it all eventually catches up, in this case barring entrance to higher learning. I believe this school will find a path forward, allow them in and perpetuate the illusion that Thai kids are being taught well. You'd have to be very delusional here working as a teacher if you actually thought you were making a difference. 

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

66.3% got a decent grade in English this year, a clear majority.  Foreign languages are no longer compulsary in the UK and only 43% took one at GCSE last year, but of those who took GCSE French 71% got a decent grade and of those who took German 74% got a decent grade, it would not be fair to assume that those who did not choose to take a foreign language could not have achieved a decent grade in one.

Yea but, yea it was only a 0.5% increase on last year.

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There is no exam which measures usable vocabulary per se as an entry test to UK universities. Nor do entry requirements reference native speakers. Entry requirements are set according to UK exams or equivalent. One might assume that all native speakers have 'passed' GCSE language, but the pressure on admissions systems uses 'equivalent' and other flexibilities to bypass supposed minimums. Dumbing down is not something special to the Thai educational system, but they do, on occasion, set some interesting standards. 

Of course university entry requirements reference native speakers, they require proof of English ability unless from a native speaking country.  IELTS, TOEFL.IBT and PTE Academic, the three most commonly accepted English proficiency tests for UK university entrance, all test usable vocabulary.

14 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Of course, in all probability, they have been given a good grade in all their previous English Exams, (parents paid), never actually turned in any homework or done any work in class with no sanctions (parents too influential) and have now run up against a barrier which they can't bypass

Yes, unfortunately the educational system (like in many underdeveloped countries) is face based. If a student is failed it has a domino effect, teacher looks bad, teachers boss looks bad and so on down the line. So when students are allowed to progress in English without actually learning (which the majority do) it all eventually catches up, in this case barring entrance to higher learning. I believe this school will find a path forward, allow them in and perpetuate the illusion that Thai kids are being taught well. You'd have to be very delusional here working as a teacher if you actually thought you were making a difference. 

The problem is that they work on a lineal progression system without any reinforcement of prior learning, what their results demonstrate is that pupils are able to pass their M.6 English test but cannot still pass an M.1 test by the point they are taking their M.6 test, an entirely pointless excersise that says something about the testing system itself, which should be designed to enforce the reinforcement of prior learning through testing at all prior levels every year.

24 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

66.3% got a decent grade in English this year, a clear majority.  

Not so fast Batman! According to the figures issued by Ofqual, 681,000 took English Language assessment. Now I regard a pass as grades 1-4 (equivalent to the old A-C) If we total grades 5 down to 9 and throw in U just for good measure, this totals ~ 310,000. That is 310,000/681,000 = ~45%. So, ~55% of students who achieved a decent pass. That's a good result?

https://analytics.ofqual.gov.uk/apps/2018/GCSE/9to1/

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

Remarkable isn't it,  some of the best English speakers are bar girls. Why?  Because it helps them to make an income. 

Hello welcome ????

mi yep u... not same same.... no money no honey.... bum bum...

It is a sad reflection of any expats and visitors that they don't really consider why Thais would need English .....it isn't just particularly to speak to English, Americans etc or even tourists...  - it is and will be for the foreseeable future the language of INTERNATIONAL communication.

If a German speaks to a Mexican or a Chinese person speaks to an Eskimo, the language used is in almost always going to be English.

But, it goes further than that - all academic and scientific papers etc are written in English, usually as the first published language. At higher levels of science, academia and management one reads to have a reading age of 18............ seldom achieved in Thailand.

For instance it is a chilling reflection on the Thai Health industry that most doctors are incapable of keeping up to date or understanding current scientific theory because they are not able to understand the latest medical publications. At best they rely on second-hand translations the may take years to appear and are poor often subjective interpretations of the originals.

This doesn't just apply to medicine but all forms of technology and is one of the reasons that Thai relies so heavily on imported intelligent.......it also explains ow a lot of scientists ,engineers and academics ae so below apr, as their employers are simply not capable of reading their papers or checking up on them.

I really have a hard time with all you "oh yeah!? but can you speak Thai?"

I am NOT trying to enter a university!

If I speak Thai or not, is my own decision or dependent on my ability to learn it!

I find it extremely difficult to learn and don't find Thai- people (mostly) particularly helpful.

But again: for me it is voluntary to learn it, since it is not the entry- level for...happy hour at the local waterhole or going shopping at Foodland!

And before you ask: I can also not take out an appendix, build a boat or tell you how a solar-panel works - but I would expect that of a student of medicine or an engineer!

Since most scientific studies are issued in English...don't you think, it would at least be a good idea for university -students, to have the English- language proficiency of a cashier at Titty Twisters?

And by the way: I am not a native English- speaker and I managed to get myself up to one foreign language already!

That would be one more than these lazy #$%@s!

You can express technical concepts very well in Thai, if you are a poet.

For example: Train - Rot (vehicle) Fai (light) Fah (blue), with Fai Fah (blue light) also meaning Electricity

Thus, Rot Fai Fah, the train, is "electric vehicle"

nevermind that the same term is also used for diesel trains... :whistling:

Years ago I was invited to a dinner organised by the TAT for foreign journalists. On the Thai part was a university lecturer for English language. She needed a 17 year old student who grew up in the US to assist her to understand the conversations at the dinner table...  

25 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Of course university entry requirements reference native speakers, they require proof of English ability unless from a native speaking country.  IELTS, TOEFL.IBT and PTE Academic, the three most commonly accepted English proficiency tests for UK university entrance, all test usable vocabulary.

Proof of English ability from native speakers? It is assumed not proven and many gain admission with assessment grades less than the minimum. In both English and maths.

Even more proof that there is no hope for Thailand. Let then learn what they want, drink and drive as fast as they want, and then let natural selection handle the rest.

I’m looking forward to a the time in the not so distant future when Cambodians and Burmese look down upon and treat the Thais the way the Thais treat them now. Their neighbors are evolving while the Thais are moving backwards. That’s not going to work out the way they think it will. 

Well once upon a time there was a country called Thailand it was the only country in the world!! Look outside your Boarders , you want to get on in life speak an International Language ENGLISH IS ONE OF A FEW.

Your current prime minister wanted to go straight onto the security council on APEC when Thailand Joined well he got the Pineapple where the sun dont shine No Speak English No position on the APEC Security for you.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

University director Silasiri Sangajit met with the group and promised to look into their grievances

LOL.

And then there was the students that wanted to remove "Maths" from the course.

The director should have mentioned it was a "major" subject, not babble on about looking into the matter. Weak comment on his part. But no surprises there.

Archived