Why are you making us study English at a Thai university? complain students

webfact

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, usacb500biker said:

A Thai who can speak English will never get layed off !!!!!    The last one to GO...Simple, and the first one hired.......

Thais that speak the best English will always get layed

7 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

550 words is <deleted> all. My 3 years old has more than that and she can translate Thai to English for me. It seems that these morons want to remain in their moronic isolation. Obviously no one has asked them what language they speak in Asean,  or the World.

I recognize the importance of learning English for aspiring university students, but find

it a little sad that you need a 3 year old to translate for you.

7 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

550 words is <deleted> all. My 3 years old has more than that and she can translate Thai to English for me. It seems that these morons want to remain in their moronic isolation. Obviously no one has asked them what language they speak in Asean,  or the World.

I used to tell my Indonesian English language students, that once they step off the plane in another country, no one will want to employ them if they speak only Indonesian.  They will find employment, job hunting, finding their way around, almost impossible.  Education is not a problem, as overseas students have to pass fairly tough tests to be admitted.

This is why Filipinos coming to Australia, can almost walk into a job, as their English is quite good.  Thai students are bottom of the list in ASEAN countries.

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Irrespective of not being interested in conversing in English, all technology uses English words in its vocabulary by default.

My son (in M1) had to ask me about 'LED' 'laser' and 'infra red' and what the words meant, despite learning to use them in a Thai language environment.

I wondered the same when I was forced to Learn Latin.  Now I wish I'd applied myself more.

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes it is ridiculous.  Why on earth should they have to study English unless it is connected to their field of study?

They have been studying English in school for many years , if they havent been able to learnt to speak English in that time, they may be considered to thick for university

13 minutes ago, rocart said:

Don't know, after all 69 million speak Thai in the world and only about 1.5 billion or 20% of the world's population speak English - the vast majority of them from income rich tourist target areas.

...and it's *the* International language.

Why should they learn English when they live in the biggest, richest, and most powerful country on Earth??  Even the PM stated a while back to not worry about English because soon the rest of the world will be speaking Thai.  Foreigners are desperate to learn Thai because they are the only ones low enough to scam Thais.....apparently!!??

Bunch of lazy Thais. In my French (France is known to host French who are terrible at English) middle school we were learning 550 words every few weeks. Even though French can live their life in France without having to speak a word in English, well nobody complained for having to learn English words... You could change the language etc they will still find something to complain about.

6 hours ago, Youlike said:

Not if you work for Thai Air Asia....

why don't they just give them the university degree? It's no fair to let them sweat for it, those students sure have better things to do..

Wrong, no matter what airline you work for or what traffic control person they must all know English in order to follow the directions given to them. Most pele who travel a lot know at least some English so as to  be able to ask for directions , order food ect otherwise each establisment would need 30+ people speaking/translating the many different languages from around the world.

https://www.rmutl.ac.th/page/history?lang=en

"Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna (RMUTL) is Thailand's leading University in the field of vocational learning"

These particular "students" are going to be electricians, plumbers and car mechanics.

They're not going "International".

The English course is just a cash cow. 

Part of the alleged "International Standards" that the "University" offers.

Doesn't everyone out to make a baht in Thailand offer/claim "International" standards?

Simply the blind leading the blind. If you cant learn 550 words in English in the 12 years you have been taking English through grade school and high school I begin to question whether you have learned anything. Learn for the love of learning. Develop curiosity about what happens outside your village and country. Open your mind to new ideas and experiences. The world is getting smaller. It is not all about Thailand if you want to be successful in life.

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They have been studying English in school for many years , if they havent been able to learnt to speak English in that time, they may be considered to thick for university

No it doesn't work like that, we don't blame the students, if they have been teaching them English for many years and they haven't leaned then there is something wrong with the teaching not the students.

10 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Simply the blind leading the blind. If you cant learn 550 words in English in the 12 years you have been taking English through grade school and high school I begin to question whether you have learned anything. Learn for the love of learning. Develop curiosity about what happens outside your village and country. Open your mind to new ideas and experiences. The world is getting smaller. It is not all about Thailand if you want to be successful in life.

They learn how to pass the tests and nothing else as they are not shown a reason to.

English, to varying degrees of competance is spioken all over the World.

Thai to various degres of competance is spoken all over Thaialnd.

Therefore by consensus, English is by far the most used, undrstood, and practical  language in the World, despite what the Big Guy says..

7 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

A hard question IMHO :mellow:

I would bet that even most Native English Speakers ignore what LED and LASER mean. :ermm:

Do you know yourself?

LED: Light-Emitting Diode

LASER: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation

You're right, they probably don't know what the acronyms stand for.

Yes, luckily I do know, as I worked in electronics and telecoms.

My son asked me as it was part of his technology project for school, sadly not because of a general inquisitiveness.

8 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Other Asian nations are pleased Thais so lazy. As ive been told many times by young Singaporeans, that keeps em out of Word Trade.They piss about learning Chinese, when too young Chinese speaking English is a Status Symbol. Meet a Chin Student here and they never stop practising English with you, meet a a Thai and Sit Down Please is their Forte.

That made me laugh, I have a nephew in Chiang Mai and his words are "hello how are you, sit down please" ????????????

Archived