Bank Account Catch 22

Hello friends,

I do hope someone can help, as I do not see how to get around my bank account catch 22.

What I a trying to do

Open a Thai bank account and deposit money so that I may apply for a retirement visa.

History

Last time I was in Thailand, I had a tourist visa and the banks I visited would not open an account for me.  They said I needed a letter from my embassy giving me permission to open an account.

Latest

After returning home called my embassy and they said they don't issue such letters.  They also told me to enter Thailand on a 60-day visa, pay to convert it to something, then apply for a retirement visa.  As I would like to apply with a lump sum in an account rather than monthly payments from investments/retirement, I find myself back at square one.

Question

How can I open a Thai bank account, deposit a lump sum, wait a few months, then apply for a retirement visa?

I have enclosed the information from the Embassy here in the UK.

Any help  would be much appreciated,

Simon

Screenshot 2018-12-21 17.30.11.png

Perhaps, one of the banks at or close to the immigration office will be more understanding.  Like I told the manager the other day "no problem with rules, just a problem with people making up rules.". Also, BKK Bank seems to have some clause where a respected member of the Thai community (which of course would only be Thai and not a hard core prossie) can write a letter on your behalf.  The branch manager actually did this for me once...  Someone like your leasing agent might be able to help.  Where will you get your visa?  You might get better answers.

• Like 1

It has been recommended in the past, and worked for me on my first try, to visit the bank with a Thai account holder. I went on a visa-exempt stamp, a certificate of residency (issued by my consulate) and a copy of my lease agreement. The demeanor of the Bangkok Bank staff could not have been more pleasant.

• Like 2

Most banks describe on their web site what you need. Unfortunately many banks have strange rules, e.g. requiring a work permit or a statement of residency.

I made good experiences with Bangkok Bank, as they have no such rules. However my bank _branch_ wanted me to have passport copies validated/certified by the german consul in Chiang Mai (or from the German Embassy in BKK).

It helps to have a Thai friend, who understands what you want, accompanying you. So there are no translation problems. 

Obviously you should be well dressed, that always helps in Thailand!

The visa itself, e.g. tourist visa or others, is usually no issue at all. Obviously if you need a WP, then you also need the appropriated visa.

When I got my account, I was here on a visa exempt, as I'm from Europe and "don't need" a visa. Well, technically a visa exempt is not a visa, but nevertheless you have a stamp in your passport ???? strange word ... I guess you understand what I mean.

Different rules between different banks, and different between their local bransch-officies, and between different employees, and different what day in a week it is, and what kind of weather it is that day, and finally different in what kind of mood these employees are for the moment...

Not Easy anything of it, but to write and try to find a formula, in order to be able to open a bank-account in Thailand, is a big fat NO NO...

glegolo

• Like 2

OP, I had same problem several years ago. I even took a Thai person with me. The banks kept asking for my work permit. I kept saving that I was needing bank ac for non o based on retirement. Exactly catch 22.

What worked for me was to go to head office of bank. In my case light blue bank head office. Located near soi 4 (perfect). I had no problem. Had to sign page to acknowledge I accept zero interest a/c (god bless em).

• Like 2

When i opened my bank account at Krungsri (but this was 2.5 years ago), all they wanted was my passport + a rental contract of at least 6 months.

As people said before, rules always vary. But the Thai bank branches have direct phone numbers which you can find on their website or on Google maps, so just call them (or have a Thai speaker call them), no need to run arround, until you find a branch that is happy with minimal documents. Then ask for the name of the person who you are talking with, head to the branch, and ask to talk to this person to open your account.

Thank you all for your varied stories and suggestions.  I am getting a clearer picture and will proceed with telephone research prior to going to the branches in person.  I will report back, but that won't be for a couple of months.  I appreciate the helpful nature of the folks found on this forum.  Happy Christmas.

A few years ago I opened one at Bangkok bank with a tourist visa after being refused at a few bank branches ( including Bangkok bank ) for not having a work permit.

At the time the general consensus was , “ you will have more luck at a branch in a high level of farang area “, this worked for me and I achieved my account at Bangkok bank Future Park Rangsit. This might not be the case anymore, but as others have stated , the rules vary from bank to bank and from branch to branch so just keep trying different branches and hopefully you will be lucky.

I am now on a retirement extension ( ex O - A visa ) and recently moved to a new province, approached my local Bangkok bank branch to open an account and was refused as I didn’t have a work visa !! Go figure !!

Good luck with your search.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

If you want a retirement visa, you first have to get an O visa.

Will the banks accept the O visa? I think that they will, but I am not positive.

How would he get the non-o visa without the money in a bank. He apparently cannot get one while in the UK and all nearby locations want to see the money in the bank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

If you want a retirement visa, you first have to get an O visa.

Will the banks accept the O visa? I think that they will, but I am not positive.

I have done a lot of research on this.  It use to be much easier.

I love the stories from some that say they were here on holiday on a Visa exempt and walked right in and got an account.  This is not true.

Do not believe what a banks website says because as some have stated, each bank manager may have a different policy.

Generally:

90% of them are asking for a work permit now.

Cert. of Residence.

6 to one year lease agreement copy.

Long stay Visa.

And some other documents may be required.

Maybe some will give and take on this.  But, walking in with a "Tourist Visa" only no way.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How would he get the non-o visa without the money in a bank. He apparently cannot get one while in the UK and all nearby locations want to see the money in the bank.

He still has about a week to get an income letter from the embassy. ????

2 hours ago, 4raiKohChang said:

Thank you all for your varied stories and suggestions.  I am getting a clearer picture and will proceed with telephone research prior to going to the branches in person.  I will report back, but that won't be for a couple of months.  I appreciate the helpful nature of the folks found on this forum.  Happy Christmas.

Think a telephone call is very unipersonal and easy to be dropped down ….. better walk and let your legs do the finding....don't be lazy  ???? 

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Same here Andy D. The first time I ever came to Thailand I opened an account halfway through my 30 days. With Bangkok Bank.

Recently I enlisted an agent to get my 12 month. I had to open an account with Kassikorn. The agent sorted it. No problem.

All these posters that say 'not possible' and 'no way' are not telling it as it is here.

You need to keep up on things as now is not years ago when you first came to Thailand.

You say "recently" you paid money and went thru an agent who got you a 12 month and the account.

Of course...555.  You paid money to get an account sure it is possible.

I will say again "not possible and "no way" to walk in to a bank and get account with only a Tourist Visa.

Pay an agent?  Of course they can get you anything!

Edited by bkk6060

1 minute ago, david555 said:

Think a telephone call is very unipersonal and easy to be dropped down ….. better walk and let your legs do the finding....don't be lazy  ???? 

Plus, he will not get accurate information and be lucky to speak to someone who fully understands English.

I also believe appearance is a small factor in these types of transactions.

Walking in looking like a bum may not help one get an account.

I wish i can add something significant...but all i can say is I have been rejected on this topic so many times that I gave up on retiring in Thailand.  I chose other more welcoming countries. Now i only visit thailand occasionally.  Good luck in your search, Thailand's immigration is like a dog chasing it's tail only to realize he doesn't have one....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4raiKohChang said:

What I a trying to do

Open a Thai bank account and deposit money so that I may apply for a retirement visa.

you should tell the forum members which city you plan to try and open the account.  it can be done, don't pay attention to the naysayers.  there are several threads on this site where members have reported success with opening accounts on tourist visa's and even visa exempt entries.  some have even posted screen shots of their 'welcome to online banking' when supposedly you can't get online banking w/o a long stay visa or extension.  one trick that has been used recently is to tell the bank officer you'd also like to buy some insurance, i believe the cost that has been quoted is 5,000 to 6,000thb.  there are incentives paid to the bank employees when they successfully sell insurance so they have extra motivation to open the account.  i'd suggest having the letter from your embassy that says your passport is real and also a copy of your lease agreement with a cover letter from your landlord saying the lease is real.  after that you hit the streets and find the best banks (which members can direct you to once you've let us know what city you plan to try and open the account in).  if it is bangkok, try bangkok bank main office on silom road.  or the branch by emporium or the branch near siam paragon.  you an also try UOB, they've got an office on sukhumvit not far from asoke.  of course people will come along and say they were denied at these locations.  not everyone is accepted.  dress nice and be sure to ask for a savings account, not a checking account.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You need to keep up on things as now is not years ago when you first came to Thailand.

You say "recently" you paid money and went thru an agent who got you a 12 month and the account.

Of course...555.  You paid money to get an account sure it is possible.

I will say again "not possible and "no way" to walk in to a bank and get account with only a Tourist Visa.

Pay an agent?  Of course they can get you anything!

Perhaps I need to clarify.

When I first came to Thailand I opened an account with Bangkok Bank after two weeks. No agent; just me and a bar-girl.

I enlisted an agent to assist me with my 12 month retirement visa in November last. This particular agent deals with Kassikorn. I didn't have an account with them, so I opened one, to be able to show the 800k. There was no charge from the bank or agent for this.

Edited by owl sees all

11 hours ago, impulse said:

There are dozens, if not hundreds of threads about opening bank accounts on tourist visas.  Basically, lots of banks and branches will not do it, but some will.  You can't give up, even if one or two tell you it's not possible.

I suggest you do a search for more details, including which banks and which branches are more amenable to it.

BTW, get used to hearing "no can do", or "there are none in Thailand", only to walk 50 feet and find exactly what you're looking for.  It's common throughout Asia.

Do you have Farang friend here in Thailand with bank account? If so get him to take you to his bank and introduce you, worked for me I introduce a friend on tourist visa at Kbank and he got an account.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

Do you have Farang friend here in Thailand with bank account? If so get him to take you to his bank and introduce you, worked for me I introduce a friend on tourist visa at Kbank and he got an account.

OP here.  I actually went one better.  I went to the bank with my x-wife (Thai) and my daughter (half-thai).  It was on Koh Chang where they live.  They are business people on the island and I was dressed well enough.  They flatly refused to open an account for me.  Told me I needed a 'permission letter' to open an account from the Thai Embassy in my country.  That did not make sense then and does not make sense now.  After reading the advice here, I am not sure I can meet the requirements.  I do not have or want a lease in Thailand.  I will be living on my Thai families land, doing some basic farming and enjoying a simple life.  It might just be easier to remarry my x-wife as we get along fine now we have aged.  I'm half joking here, but if the banks don't play ball it might be a better option for me.