They refused my entry into Thailand

On 12/26/2018 at 6:51 PM, dennis123 said:

Amazing really must definitely be some (racial) profiling going on like he mistook you for an Indian or something.

Knowing that the rules are getting stricter it's incredibly dumb to leave your camera, room key, and the key of your motorbike in Thailand during a visa run. When I travel out of the country I even take the framed photo and the ashes/bones of my lost friend across the border, just in case I get denied I want to keep that, earlier I even went as far that I packed every piece of electronic equipment in my car like my boat battery charger, TV, PlayStation, additional laptop, cloth iron, juicer, toaster, and even my microwave lol.

Always surprised to read those reports as I've been coming and going on SETV tourist visas and exempts for at least six years in a row, I'm white and look near 50 though I'm quite a bit younger than that, and I always prepare a good set of clothes when crossing the border, can't say I always look fresh & frisky when I spend a month binge drinking in Laos or Cambodia, yeah I take a shower but the tiredness shows, feeling like a total wreck lol, and with all the alcohol and what not in my body I sweat like crazy while filling in the paperwork and walking from desk to desk, no clonazepam or diazepam helps with that by the end of the holiday. Still, they keep allowing me in.

Strange Thailand, just back from prison, DUI, 2 nights at Pattaya police station, no stamp in passport but on second offense deportation so be careful as you don't want to be stuck in a cell where they don't even provide you with water, everything has to be ordered through a ward/guard that wants to make some extra money, some of these guards don't even care about money and simply ignore you and then you have to wait till the next shift starts, rather unpleasant. Luckily we're all in the same boat together so I got water from some Thai people that were locked up and they even shared a cigarette with us (foreigners) every few hours. Somehow they got that smuggled in, tried it myself but didn't get it through. Oh and not to speak of this crazy foreigner that was locked alone in a cell, running around naked, pissing on the floor and then sleeping on that same floor and yelling almost 24/7.

I'm drifting off a little bit from the topic but thought it makes an interesting story, there was a Dutch guy as well, ran into an alcohol control same as me then at court he denied he was driving because he stood still with his motorbike, judge didn't like that answer so kept him in prison for another 6 days, till he admitted and then the judge said we're going to deport you ???? First time offense and first time visit to Thailand! Never lie to a judge or try to twist the story. When I was before the judge there was no translator available so police agents suggested I just say Yes Yes Yes to every question, so I did and after paying 8500 baht I was free ????

You talk about people bring incredibly dumb and strange Thailand?

You disgustingly got caught drunk driving and jailed yet you go on about not getting water, being stuck in a cell and complain about the guards.

Your post about one month benders and comments are that of an out of control, into denial, out of touch alcoholic who needs serious help.

I hope you learned a lesson and stay off the roads, but I bet not.

There is a tone in your post that you think all this is kind of funny.

Truly disgraceful..

Grow up!

Edited by bkk6060
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2018 at 3:11 PM, JackThompson said:

I suppose I have the benefit of not experiencing Thailand in the "good old days" - so compare my relative freedom to that in police-state USA - where every trip to work or the store runs a gauntlet of police.  Hours on the roads and highways here, but have not seen cars pulled-over left and right like the USA.  Seems much better to me.

Note to self: Self, remind JackThompson that he said that if he complains about the road carnage in Thailand.

Could there be a correlation between strict enforcement of the traffic laws and the rate of road carnage?

But I digress.

36 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Note to self: Self, remind JackThompson that he said that if he complains about the road carnage in Thailand.

Could there be a correlation between strict enforcement of the traffic laws and the rate of road carnage?

But I digress.

There is a difference between enforcing traffic-laws in cases where a person is driving dangerously, and performing what is often termed "revenuing."  A good case of the latter is a police-car hiding behind a tree or sign and "ticketing" for "rolling" the stop-sign (not a "full and complete stop") when there is no other car in clear-sight.  Just one of dozens of examples, of course - but when drivers feel like zebras crossing a river full of crocodiles trying to get to work or the store, that's when you know there is a problem.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

There is a difference between enforcing traffic-laws in cases where a person is driving dangerously, and performing what is often termed "revenuing."  A good case of the latter is a police-car hiding behind a tree or sign and "ticketing" for "rolling" the stop-sign (not a "full and complete stop") when there is no other car in clear-sight.  Just one of dozens of examples, of course - but when drivers feel like zebras crossing a river full of crocodiles trying to get to work or the store, that's when you know there is a problem.

Well "rolling stops" are illegal yes? ????

Or do we substitute your judgement. Or the cops. Or the brown envelope. Or the coroner.

Bet ya only got ticketed once there, and didnt do a rolling stop thereafter. ????

Edited by Nyezhov

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Well "rolling stops" are illegal yes? ????

Or do we substitute your judgement. Or the cops. Or the brown envelope. Or the coroner.

Bet ya only got ticketed once there, and didnt do a rolling stop thereafter. ????

Never got a ticket for that, myself.  One of the 6 tail-lights on my car being burned-out was a good one, though. 

If a ticket is given for an action that is not dangerous, it is just robbery.  Discouraging dangerous driving should be the goal - not taking money.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Never got a ticket for that, myself.  One of the 6 tail-lights on my car being burned-out was a good one, though. 

Oh I haaaaate those! At least its a "fixit".

And at least in Alaska, when they are bored at 2am, that type of pretext gets you no where.

"Evening officer *with hands on wheel*, my papers are in the Glove box, there is a gun in their too. I have a permit (not necessary in Alaska but shows you are a good guy). What would you like me to do so that you are comfortable?"

"Ok, can I have your license"

"Yes, here it is and I have less than an ounce of weed in the console"

"OK, can I have your registration, just try not to handle the firearm"

"Ok here it is"

"Can I see the weed"

"OK here it is"

"All right, I stopped you because your tail ight is out"

"Oh OK, Im two miles from home, I can fix it tomorrow"

"OK, have a nice night"

33 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

If a ticket is given for an action that is not dangerous, it is just robbery.  Discouraging dangerous driving should be the goal - not taking money.

Isnt ANY moving violation dangerous?

56 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:
21 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Diplomats have frequently been expelled from various countries.

for them to be expelled they have to enter surely?

They can also be denied entry. Diplomats often need a visa before they are allowed to enter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Isnt ANY moving violation dangerous?

No.  In the case I gave with the stop-sign, with clear sight and no other car anywhere nearby - except a police-car hiding behind the tree/sign/building.

Saying Thailand fails to monitor and ticket for actual dangerous driving is a fair argument to make, but if you've been to Cambodia - now that's scary, especially if you drive a moto. 

I'd rather have some increased risk on the roads, than live in a police-state.  Hopefully, they take a balanced pro-safety approach - not a creating a "get all the money we can" gauntlet, with unofficial "quotas," etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Saying Thailand fails to monitor and ticket for actual dangerous driving is a fair argument to make, but if you've been to Cambodia - now that's scary, especially if you drive a moto. 

Thanks, Im going on a moto to Preah Vihear. Just want I wanted to hear ????

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

They can also be denied entry. Diplomats often need a visa before they are allowed to enter.

Thailand has bilateral agreements with many countries for those with Diplomatic or Official passports to get a visa exempt entry of 30 or 90 days. See: http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA_แก้ไข 15-03-61.pdf

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

Quite right and Diplomats always have to meet the same entry requirements as every other person, no one gets in without some kind of permission.

a visa code METV is a tourist visa multi entry but which limits the stay to 2 months you can not stay more consecutive month so you have obtained an extension of 1 month but this extension does not give you the right to go out and back in clear if you make an extension the multi input of the METV is invalidated and that you exit you lose the extension the METV no longer has any value after 2 months executed in Thailand you are under the regime of the extension to a single entry
it is no longer possible to request a METV in successive it takes a period of 3 months and if you get the second METV in the same year you will not be granted a 2 METV because you exceed the international rule of 180 days which determines the residence

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SPREX said:

if you make an extension the multi input of the METV is invalidated

No, it is not.

4 hours ago, SPREX said:

it is no longer possible to request a METV in successive

Many have done several in succession - applied for in their home-countries, of course.

4 hours ago, SPREX said:

it takes a period of 3 months

Only in France - perhaps a couple other locations.

4 hours ago, SPREX said:

and if you get the second METV in the same year you will not be granted a 2 METV because you exceed the international rule of 180 days which determines the residence

There is no 180-day rule relating to the use of visas.  Some IOs at unfriendly checkpoints may talk about such things, but they always reject-entry using a "real law" referenced in the rejection stamp (even if this "real" reason is entirely inapplicable to the person who is rejected). 

Stick to entry-points that follow the written regulations, rather than executing their own agendas, and you can use METVs in succession, even extending each entry, without any problems.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I remember a 180 day max for tourist visas being announced about 15 years ago but it was never enforced.

I seem to remember reading a few years later that it had never actually been made a law or rule.

On 12/23/2018 at 11:22 AM, marcusarelus said:

What country don't the people in power make the rules? 

You are trying to be cute.

Police on Suk are not the people in power, they are people with power though in this case they were only enforcing the rules.