Video: The horrific end of the Petty Officer on the Harley

rooster59

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If the video (my previous post) is played in real time, it's almost 3 seconds.

so he had 6 seconds to jam into the brakes and come to an halt at the junction.  But it seems he decided doing the opposite at an early stage - when the orange lights started flashing - that his thoughts were rather "come on speed up, you'll make it before the lights turn red"

19 hours ago, happy chappie said:

the only thing is why are the police interviewing witnesses to determine who was in the wrong?

a blood alcohol/drug test  will reveal if the pick up driver was driving under influence regardless of right-of-way. Interviewing people at the location he had been earlier is also helpful to shed light on circumstances and his state of mind too(i.e. involvement in a fight/argument with wife etc/just fired from job etc.) though useless.

Running the red at that speed automatically makes the Harley 100% guilty but he has already paid the ultimate price, however if pickup driver is also at fault by either being drunk or running a (NO U-turn) red light, he should do some time for involuntary manslaughter.

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

I see no light prohibiting a U-turn nor any indication that the pickup was making an illegal turn.

Harley definitely ran the red at speed.

A few seconds after the accident did anyone see another motorcycle creeping through the red light aswell

albeit at a slow speed.
Agreed the pick-up doing a U turn is probably ok, the right hand lane in his favour is clear to turn right.

1 hour ago, crazygreg44 said:

so he had 6 seconds to jam into the brakes and come to an halt at the junction.  But it seems he decided doing the opposite at an early stage - when the orange lights started flashing - that his thoughts were rather "come on speed up, you'll make it before the lights turn red"

It is fairly common practice in Thailand that they keep going several seconds into a red light, 

21 hours ago, Different said:

How would he got that expensive motorbike if he wasn't corrupt cop, I feel sorry for the ruined Harley.

He was a Navy Petty Officer and it could very well be that he was making payments on the Harley (as most folk do).

4 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

I wonder if you ever watched the video yourself. There is no green light flashing as there is no red light flashing. ...

Ah, yes. I guess the whole meaning of the "We may also assume the green flashing maybe 8 seconds before the video starts..." was lost on your jump to concluding I haven't watched the video?

The video I was referring to was the short one in the OP. My comments regarding duration of flashing green and duration of amber was clearly in reference to what traffic lights normally sequence in lieu of seeing any video clip that started earlier. The ultimate conclusion I made is the HD driver had no intention of stopping, either on (the normal) 4 seconds of flashing green, the subsequent (and equally normal) 4 seconds of amber or the red. On that point, I see we are agreed.

17 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ah, yes. I guess the whole meaning of the "We may also assume the green flashing maybe 8 seconds before the video starts..." was lost on your jump to concluding I haven't watched the video?

The video I was referring to was the short one in the OP. My comments regarding duration of flashing green and duration of amber was clearly in reference to what traffic lights normally sequence in lieu of seeing any video clip that started earlier. The ultimate conclusion I made is the HD driver had no intention of stopping, either on (the normal) 4 seconds of flashing green, the subsequent (and equally normal) 4 seconds of amber or the red. On that point, I see we are agreed.

I am sorry, of course you are right. First the green lights start flashing, followed by a steady amber light. Both last for about 4 seconds.

So this gave the Harley rider 8 seconds (4 sec green flashing & 3-4 sec amber steady) to come to a full stop . . . . absolutely doable at 90-110 km/h.  However when cruising at 120-140 km/h  the time needed to brake safely within the distance to the junction is already not in his favour any more.  And hey, he was really fast!

I still wonder what makes these guys think that crossing a junction under a red light could be safe at any instance

7 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

... I still wonder what makes these guys think that crossing a junction under a red light could be safe at any instance

Thainess. That and a belief in the power of the amulet around the neck and/or hanging from the rear-view mirror.

Both these bloke's amulets were obviously sh!te.

16 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

I still wonder what makes these guys think that crossing a junction under a red light could be safe at any instance

Remember 90% of questions starting, "Why do Thais....." can be answered correctly with "can't be arsed."

In this case and other cases involving running a recently changed red light,

they can't be arsed braking (there is a slight discomfort involved with the force exerted on the body) and

they can't be arsed waiting.

????

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Remember 90% of questions starting, "Why do Thais....." can be answered correctly with "can't be arsed."

In this case and other cases involving running a recently changed red light,

they can't be arsed braking (there is a slight discomfort involved with the force exerted on the body) and

they can't be arsed waiting.

????

I wonder if the HD guy laid on the horn as he saw the lights change? That's another, quite common 'protection' used by the witless and dangerous.

I recall making a right-turn on green across the front of three lanes of traffic waiting patiently on their red at a major intersection on the Mitrapharb. Luckily it was a cool morning and I had the windows down so I  heard the banshee, "Beeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeee-eeeeep!!" of the Honda Click with 3-up, blindly barrel-arsing down the hard shoulder slightly before he shot out past the near-side lane of cars and took a layer of dust off my ABS-enabled front bumper with his flapping jacket.

I just KNOW that at least one of them got my rego and bought a bloody lottery ticket later.

On 12/22/2018 at 6:27 PM, Different said:

How would he got that expensive motorbike if he wasn't corrupt cop, I feel sorry for the ruined Harley.

He wasn't a cop, he was in the navy. Nonetheless, he was speeding wicked fast and ran a red light. Dead!

We know that bikes and cars jump red lights millions of times a day in Thailand, I see it all the time. The truck looked like it jumped the lights before green which they also often do. There is usually a bigger delay between one set of lights going red and the other green. Truck was moving before HDs lights were red. Usually traffic doesn't move until all oncoming traffic has gone, but bike was going so fast truck probably didn't see it

Archived