Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is only for OA long stay visas issued by a embassy or official consulate.

It will start with O-A visa (in MFA) and in not so distant future trickle down to immigration and police order. What will prevent a new immigration police order requiring the same health insurance for extension also? And there will be no wiggle room for agents to waive it like they do now for seasoning. May be they will grandfather existing extension holders but for all new extension, it may become a requirement. 

19 minutes ago, pontious said:

It would seem absurd that it affects people on non oa visas who live here full time { but renew once a year in there home country } and not people who have extensions to stay here the same full time.

I think MFA can only legislate on visas (correct me if I'm wrong). But I am sure immigration police orders will follow requiring the same for extension also, or at least for the new extensions. They may be targeting all new retirees (grandfathered for old retirees already on extensions). 

Edited by onera1961

1 hour ago, skatewash said:

Here's a direct link:

Thank you for that link, I watched it all, very informative, and pleasant, it indicates that the income option will be preserved by way of bank statements from a Thai bank, 

But when he said that they could not verify income , was asked the same question I asked  when this whole thing started, and the question was that all Americans have to file an income tax return , why can't they use the tax return to verify income, and he sidestepped the question. I was disappointed that he was not pressed further on that important issue.  

Anyway, thanks again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggest people read the OP and the first posts on it before posting on this topic.

It is only for OA long stay visas issued by a embassy or official consulate.

If the insurance is required for the OA I would bet a pretty penny it would just be a test run for other visas...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

The few farangs that do manage to skip out of paying are a drop in the bucket....

That's not a quantitative statement. I doubt you have data.

Anecdotal as well: I know at least one farang who is scraping by in a dodgy IT job who suffered a heart attack and ended up on a makeshift bed on the floor of a provincial hospital. I doubt he "skipped out" as one might from Bumrungrad, but then it was a govt. hospital so the fact the he had no insurance and very little resources meant that all the care he got was courtesy Thai tax dollars.

Again, no data, but it stands to reason that those scrabbling are more likely to fall ill and get treated at public hospitals.

So fine if the Thai govt. thinks that its obligation is to its citizens only and the rest need to be covered by themselves.

18 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

That's not a quantitative statement. I doubt you have data.

My data tells me you would not read about farangs in accidents all the time begging for donations on Go-Fund-Me if they were getting FREE medical care in Thailand.......Go-Fund-Me would go out of business in Thailand...Like I said the few who skip out of paying are a drop in the bucket....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I am in my 60's and have full insurance coverage here as I value my health and life.

Gee, it costs about $120 bucks a month I know way too much for many.

But, There it is..

Another person who wants the Thai government to provide some "decent cost" benefit because they live here.

The problem is all the fat, unhealthy, disgusting smokers and drinker ex-pats.

I would say the majority actually.  Was in Chiang Mai recently and could not believe all who fit this profile.

10 am starts.

The Thai government does not want to provide foreigners who abuse themselves with any type of benefit it will just cost too much money in the long run.  I do not blame them..

What is the source of you claim that the Thai govt does not want to provide etc? Me thinks that is not true. 

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Only that it's inevitably the next step for (against?) expats. although I have heard nothing definite, just rumours.  Knowing the way things get structured here, if it does come to pass, it may also come with an option to increase the 800K required for an extension of stay, to some other figure, say 1.5 million, to cover any unexpected health costs. Just a guess.  

Option or obligation? Of course the income option would need to be increased in line. I have medical insurance but would worry about the government enforcing it, something that often comes with commissions! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rama said:

40K in outpatient? crazy. who spends 40k in outpatient? I've had BUPA (now Aetna) for 13 years. always inpatient of 600k a year per 'event'. what would be the cost of an insurance plan that would give 40K a year?

This has already been commented on many times. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Why would she need to pay any thing.....All the broken record posters on Thai Visa yap yap endlessly year after year on here about farangs getting loads of FREE medical care in Thailand and being a burden to the medical system.....

Please shut the """" up.......There is 100% no FREE medical care for farangs in Thailand......They MIGHT MAYBE operate on you in a dire emergency situation in a few select cases with out working out the payment first....But you will still owe the money if you dont die and if you do die you will still owe the money......

So for the millionth time.....THERE IS NO FREE MEDICAL CARE FOR FARANGS IN THAILAND.....Never has been Never will be.....

The few farangs that do manage to skip out of paying are a drop in the bucket....

Another straight shooter, congrats.

• Like 1

I have travel insurance, it cancels when I return home, which I do 2 or 3 times a year, so, I take it out for 4 or 5 months at a time. This ins. probably  wouldn't be acceptable in LOS . Bali is looking better and better. They require a years insurance but there are ways around it there. 

If Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa holders becomes mandatory and if one is under 60 years old then Bangkok life for health insurance could be a possibility.  I find out about this when I opened my account.  I have had my policy for two years.  The coverage is not high(950,000 baht) and I do not have OPD.  In my case it might not be relevant because 2019 will probably be my last year because I do not intend to deposit 800K into my account.  Also, if one obtains a policy before 60 then the policy can be renewed up until 70.  It is just another option in case Health Insurance becomes mandatory.  

11 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I wouldn't get too excited about this as the news link states several ministries need to work out the details and then it would be forwarded to the cabinet. I also believe it may need the approval of the National Assembly. Since there is an election in February- I doubt the same people will even be in power.

If by chance something like this became law- I doubt many people would ever  opt for the O-A Visa as the requirement of 40K outpatient is ridiculous.  I have never heard of even one person who has the O-X Visa which also has an insurance requirement.

The better way to handle this would require a buy in to the Thai Social Security scheme which provides healthcare via the Government Hospitals all for a decent cost .

I don't see why foreigners think that they can go to government hospitals. Surely, these are meant for Thai people. Foreigners should have insurance for private health care. 

What possible reason would the government have for allowing health care for foreigners to use government facilities at a cheap price? Foreigners need to not be a burden on the State. Why should we get subsidized health care? Even if we paid full price, we are still taking up doctors and nurses time that could be spent on Thai people which is what these hospitals were meant for.

Still living up to your name, I see.......

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I use Government hospitals regularly, and will continue to do so.

They are not especially meant for Thais, although many use them for their 30 baht health care scheme.

I pay for everything I am treated for, at a fraction of the price, in comparison to the private, money making hospitals, and am not a burden on the state.

I really do not understand where you get your beliefs from ?

I realize that you can at the present go to government hospitals for treatment, if you don't mind a relatively longer wait. I don't agree with that, but, hey, it's perfectly legal and acceptable.

What I don't agree with in my post is that if insurance becomes mandatory to get an extension, it should be for private hospitals only. No subsidized care just to make it cheap for the convenience of foreigners.

One of the biggest complaints I hear from my fellow countrymen about the NHS, is the amount of immigrants going to government hospitals and increasing waiting times for everyone else.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

For a maximum of 10 years!

1) It is better than nothing.  

2) It is not a Concierge Type of Policy.  It is similar to a Catastrophic Health Insurance Policy.  No perks.

3) Annual premium is 12,600 Baht(no monthly payment option)

4) Just another option to consider for those under 60.

• Thanks 1

Also; BKK6060; being in your 60ties and having "full cover" for $120/mth ($1440/year) sounds fairly cheap? What is your cover/what insurance company? any deductible/self pay? Presume no out-patient? Cheers!
It is way too cheap. I suspect either a high deductible or too low level of cover.

Cost of a decent policy at that age is almost double that.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

what is the minimum requirement?  I am sure some older expat Americans have medicare and would be prepared to fly back to the USA for any serious care.  Anything not so serious they probably are currently prepared to handle out of pocket in Thailand.  And others have VA medical benefits that again, they are prepared to fly to the USA for anything serious.
Can't always fly back if seriously ill. In fact usually cannot.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1