Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

"Those already having overseas insurance policies that meet the minimum requirement would be exempted from subscribing to Thai insurance policies. They will be able to apply for long-stay visas using their foreign insurance policies, he said."

what is the minimum requirement?  I am sure some older expat Americans have medicare and would be prepared to fly back to the USA for any serious care.  Anything not so serious they probably are currently prepared to handle out of pocket in Thailand.  And others have VA medical benefits that again, they are prepared to fly to the USA for anything serious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swineninety9 said:

Could this have something to do with the girl who broke her neck diving into a pool, and had to crowdfund 60k pound to medevac her to the UK?

Not unless she was over 50, given the Non-OA has this as a requirement.

Targeting the Non-OA would be a continuation of making it more difficult for foreigners to get longer-stays via visas issued by the MFA.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It does have something to do with the many, many cases of foreigners unable to pay their hospital bills over the years but the insurance being mandated won't help most in that sort of situation, with  bills of way over 1 million baht.

The concept is sound but the design of it is seriously flawed and won't serve the purpose.

There is also the issue of those expats with pre-existing conditions which is not at all uncommon in retirees....they can't get private insurance.

A "stabilize and send-home" policy - avoiding any long-term care for illness - and required of every foreigner based on the permission-of-stay length being issued, would be the most affordable and practical solution. 

This protects Thailand from the cost of care for the young guy who gets hurt on a moto, as well as the older person with a long-term health problem. 

Long term folks could buy discounts by setting aside a deductible amount in a locked "health savings acct" and similar.

Of course, anyone could also purchase a more extensive plan which provides long-term care, or pay out of pocket, so could stay here to receive that care.  The only purpose in what I propose, is to take the issue of "foreigners' unpaid medical bills" off the table.

1 hour ago, Mickmick said:

As people on the retirement extension are supposed to have an income from home equivalent to 65000B/m just add whatever the payment is at that level to your visa extension fee.

No, they are not. The requirement for 800,000 in the bank excludes 65,000 per month, which, since the letters are gone, is actually in limbo and is not assured of even being part of the system for those whose countries no longer issue the letters.

7 minutes ago, zydeco said:

No, they are not. The requirement for 800,000 in the bank excludes 65,000 per month, which, since the letters are gone, is actually in limbo and is not assured of even being part of the system for those whose countries no longer issue the letters. 

See this thread and/or watch the video.  It (income-method) will almost certainly continue, though we are still short on specifics:

Edited by JackThompson

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I suggest people read the OP and the first posts on it before posting on this topic.

It is only for OA long stay visas issued by a embassy or official consulate.

I got that, Joe. But the article said the details were still in the process of being finalized. That leaves a huge opening for the eventual legislation to expand. And, frankly, that would seem logical, as the last sentence says it is aimed at "elderly foreigners." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"A "stabilize and send-home" policy - avoiding any long-term care for illness - and required of every foreigner based on the permission-of-stay length being issued, would be the most affordable and practical solution"

I am afraid that the affordable part would not be the case if you were a UK citizen living in a country other than the EU returning to their country for treatment on the NHS. Anybody who has lived outside of the UK and not in a EU country has now to pay 50% surcharge on top of the full cost of any treatment.

"A "stabilize and send-home" policy - avoiding any long-term care for illness - and required of every foreigner based on the permission-of-stay length being issued, would be the most affordable and practical solution"

I am afraid that the affordable part would not be the case if you were a UK citizen living in a country other than the EU returning to their country for treatment on the NHS. Anybody who has lived outside of the UK and not in a EU country has now to pay 50% surcharge on top of the full cost of any treatment.

4 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

See this thread and/or watch the video.  It (income-method) will almost certainly continue, though we are still short on specifics:

This link brings you to the first page of a thread with 8 pages

almost impossible to find the video you are referring to'

I would appreciate it if you could provide a link to the video 

Thank you:smile:

And this statement was issued on Sunday. Great timing for "mainly elderly foreigners," especially those who might celebrate Christmas. Enjoy your present from the Thai government. And here I was enjoying my evening reading Jack London's "The Cruise of the Snark," when I just happened to notice this item in my newsfeed, which made me check in, here. 

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

So if you get an extension on your Type O Marriage visa the insurance is NOT required ?? And is this a sure thing ? And when?

It is only needed to apply for a OA long stay visa. Read the news article I posted a link to and my post on page one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I have never heard of even one person who has the O-X Visa which also has an insurance requirement.

All O-X visa holders must buy insurance

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I am in my 60's and have full insurance coverage here as I value my health and life.

Gee, it costs about $120 bucks a month I know way too much for many.

What insurance company?

Edited by onera1961

22 minutes ago, khastan said:

What happens in the UK after Thailand sends you home is not Thailand's problem.  I am not saying this to be harsh or in-compassionate - only that my suggestion is aimed solely at ending any potential liability of Thais for our health issues. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, khastan said:

I am fully aware it is not Thailand's problem. The point I was trying to make is that your suggestion of being affordable would not be the case for UK ex pats.

I was not suggesting a "complete health care" insurance.  In fact, exactly the opposite - the cheapest possible thing that would end Thais' concerns entirely. 

One could opt to purchase a more comprehensive plan for longer term care / issues - but how affordable/available that would be, is another question.

What's the issue here. As UBON has mentioned few times...this MAYBE IN FUTURE, apply to A-O visas. Vast majority of comments are from people on extensions to non o. Then added the "usual suspects" of complaining/suggesting this and that for Thailand. Your a guest. Have enough money or insurance to cover the worst or go home

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Although your suggestion has merit. Most unless you are very lucky 70 plus year old's have some type of pre existing medical condition. On that basis I think it would be impossible to get a comprehensive long term care policy which would be of any benefit.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

OA long term visa is what ? Retirement Visa ?

Yes. The one you get at an Embassy abroad. Meanwhile; why should they stop with only that visa? Might as well go for ALL long stay visas and extension as the risks to the government/hospitals are the same whether time here is based on retirement, study, Elite visa, investment, dependent, marriage Etc. (excluding extensions/visas based on work as most will then be part of Thai social security). Cheers!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

It is only needed to apply for a OA long stay visa. Read the news article I posted a link to and my post on page one.

So if one went back home to obtain new OA to avoid the 800k in Thai bank extension, the insurance requirement would be a component of the new application ?

It would seem absurd that it affects people on non oa visas who live here full time { but renew once a year in there home country } and not people who have extensions to stay here the same full time.

40K in outpatient? crazy. who spends 40k in outpatient? I've had BUPA (now Aetna) for 13 years. always inpatient of 600k a year per 'event'. what would be the cost of an insurance plan that would give 40K a year?

• Like 1