Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Only that it's inevitably the next step for (against?) expats. although I have heard nothing definite, just rumours.  Knowing the way things get structured here, if it does come to pass, it may also come with an option to increase the 800K required for an extension of stay, to some other figure, say 1.5 million, to cover any unexpected health costs. Just a guess.  

Edited by Pilotman

Having lived in Thailand for nearly 10 years and having had recent treatment for mouth cancer,paid for at my expense because I am now 74 and have been refused insurance since age 70. Thank goodness I still maintain my Australian health insurance even though I can afford to pay for treatment here. I hope you are right Joe. (Sorry you always are )

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I found the story and this is the first paragraph.

"Foreigners with one-year Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) will have to compulsorily arrange health insurance, according to new proposals of a key committee."

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360990

So it is not for those applying for extension based upon retirement or others. 

It is already required for the 10 year Non-OX visa.

" 7. Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the  Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht.
Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org > for more information regarding the insurance requirement."

""So it is not for those applying for extension based upon retirement or others."" is it correct not for extensions?

2 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

""So it is not for those applying for extension based upon retirement or others."" is it correct not for extensions?

Not according the news article. It only mentions the OA long stay visa issued by embassies and official consulates.

If they actually do something, and they should, there will most likely be a monetary on-deposit amount to account for the self-insured, over and above the 800K.

I'm actually surprised that Thailand and other countries don't require proof of some sort of health insurance to get any kind of a visa.

Edited by GalaxyMan
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is also the issue of those expats with pre-existing conditions which is not at all uncommon in retirees....they can't get private insurance.

Maybe they can get private insurance. But that insurance will likely not cover the preexisting conditions.

So even if Thailand insist that people have to have a health insurance there will be cases for which the insurance will not pay - preexisting conditions.

This one gonna get really tricky; as they will not only go for OA visas, but more likely all long stay visas and extensions - except probably extensions based on work(work permit) as they will already be covered by at least Thai social security in most (but not all) cases. It makes no sense to JUST go for the OA visa and not other retirement "visas"/extensions - the risk is exactly the same. Same applies to student visa, investment visa, elite visa, taking care of dependent, marriage visa and so on. (Correct term in most cases is not visa but; extension).

With pre-existing conditions and old age the cost of the insurances will go through the roof (with many exclusions obviously - so the unfunded claims can happen anyway). The above linked insurance cost about 250k Baht/year for the 400k/40k cover when in your 90ties!

As Cheryl said; 400k is just not enough - I would say MINIMUM 3M Baht (no outpatient needed) if on a budget. Using round numbers the above outpatient probably doubles the premium - so lets say that person in his 90ties had no outpatient cutting his annual premium for a year to 125k/year for 400k - multiply that with 7.5 to get cover around the 3M mark and the poor bastard will have to pay close to 1M baht/year! (a bit more if out patient of 40k is maintained).

This will be interesting to follow. The alternative is as somebody mentioned to let long stay visa holders buy into the Thai social security health care. A lesser alternative could be to at LEAST demand accident insurance (from AXA, AIA Etc.) for a fairly high level, as most acute cases seem to fall under that category. Accident insurance is much cheaper and does also not sky rocket with old age. Not the perfect solution, but would be easier to manage.

Cheers!

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I am in my 60's and have full insurance coverage here as I value my health and life.

Gee, it costs about $120 bucks a month I know way too much for many.

But, There it is..

Another person who wants the Thai government to provide some "decent cost" benefit because they live here.

The problem is all the fat, unhealthy, disgusting smokers and drinker ex-pats.

I would say the majority actually.  Was in Chiang Mai recently and could not believe all who fit this profile.

10 am starts.

The Thai government does not want to provide foreigners who abuse themselves with any type of benefit it will just cost too much money in the long run.  I do not blame them..

Guessing your a slim,healthy non smoking non drinker,then why you need insurance, now that’s a problem! 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Aforek said:

No need to be fat, smoker, alcoholic to be sick; just have a road accident, heart problem, cancer … even slim people can have these sort of problems

Also; BKK6060; being in your 60ties and having "full cover" for $120/mth ($1440/year) sounds fairly cheap? What is your cover/what insurance company? any deductible/self pay? Presume no out-patient? Cheers!

• Like 1