Thriving as an empath in this land

1 hour ago, Been there done that said:

Ha-ha , ask some questions , which most normal people will answer yes to some of them, then tell them that that means that they have a problem and then can resolve that problem by buying the book advertised .

Thats like a virus that infects your computer and you need to pay them to remove it 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Everyone is capable of "empathy". 

Whether they choose to employ it or act on it is another matter.

"Everyone is capable of "empathy"." - What, even mods? 

"Whether they choose to employ it or act on it is another matter." - Ah, that's more like it!

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Everyone is capable of "empathy".

Whether they choose to employ it or act on it is another matter.

Another psycho-babble salesman !

"Choosing" to "switch on/off" empathy is the mark of the sociopath.

In fact they choose to temporarily display the qualities of empathy for their own satisfaction/purposes.

Usually to convince others (but sometimes themselves) of their own "decency".

And nothing to do with what empathy actually is.

Edited by Enoon
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, impulse said:

In this land?  Not so hard. 

On this forum?  Good luck with that.

Yes, empathy is not that dependent on what's going on around you. It's more to do with your nature/outlook/ personality.

Most of the Thais and farang I encounter are fairly laid back and understanding about why things are as they are.

Unfortunately, anonymity on Thai visa is a like excessive alcohol consumption which produces ... in vino veritas or in Thai Visa veritas ... the true nature of certain people which is set loose to reveal petulance, childishness, naivete,sense of entitlement and self-loathing all vented onto the easiest available target ... Thais and Thailand.

Post any message on any topic and a litany of what is wrong with Thais and with Thailand will be forthcoming in response. Lots of bitter old queens are ready to spew no matter the topic in a vain attempt to prop up their fragile egos. 

Just remember Farang good, Thai bad and you'll find yourself quite popular here at the hub of perpetual whiners.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

There is only one rule I follow in Thailand, courtesy of Harry Callahan:

"Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?"

24 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

There is only one rule I follow in Thailand, courtesy of Harry Callahan:

"Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?"

I wonder just how many Americans have died violently as a result of the macho fantasies displayed in the 'Dirty Harry' movies?

Buster Keating would have made a better Callaghan-with  Eastwood as the chimpanzee-oops wrong American spaghetti fantasy.

10 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

im an empathetic person and thais are just not unless there is something in it for them as far as my experience has been.

Im happy doing my own thing and trying to ignore. Its literally impossible. Need big walls mentally and physically....

I disagree strongly.  My wife and her sisters regularly help charities by providing used clothing or cans of food.  One time they bought soap for a hospital.  They regularly help their network of families as well.  I amazed how generous they are.