Multipoint home LPG

canopy

I want one LPG tank located outside to service all 4 of the house gas fixtures: water heater, oven, bbq grill, and gas range. What would be an appropriate type of pipe to use? Since gas is dangerous and in this case will be in wall the type of pipe must be very robust so I would guess the normal gas hoses or various plastic pipes probably would not meet international codes. And can appropriate fittings be found that attach to such pipe? Like T junctions and threaded female connectors for the fixtures.

I think you might have to go the Thai route. They just use the correct plastic pipe with T connectors, All obtainable from your local gas cooker shop. (Tip buy the best) Branching off with a T in the direction you require. I have 2 gas bottles fitted one for the oven one for the hobs the latter branching off with T to the two hobs. As long as they are fitted correctly you should be fine. We do though turn off the gas from the valves when not in use.

If you are going to put the hose in the wall put it through a Blue water pipe first that will protect the hose and make it simpler to replace if required. Failing that use more than one Bottle.

Thanks for the laugh, International codes indeed. If you hadn't noticed this is Thailand. International Codes don't apply here. If it works it's fine. Like the electric fingers crossed. Just make sure you have fire insurance.

2 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

International Codes don't apply here.

I know it won't be inspected, but the idea is to follow practices that are proven to result in a safe, long lasting system. So for instance I would have thought PPR pipe would be a good choice, but see codes do not allow PPR. Usually there are very valid and well thought out reasons for these restrictions. I'll definitely check thoroughly what the gas outlet has, but since what I am doing is so unusual in Thailand I don't have my hopes up. All I have seen thus far is the small gauge, flexible hose used everywhere for connecting a single tank to a single fixture right next to it. I am not even sure such a hose would have enough gas carrying capacity to run all fixtures at once and located some greater distances away.

6 minutes ago, canopy said:

I know it won't be inspected, but the idea is to follow practices that are proven to result in a safe, long lasting system. So for instance I would have thought PPR pipe would be a good choice, but see codes do not allow PPR. Usually there are very valid and well thought out reasons for these restrictions. I'll definitely check thoroughly what the gas outlet has, but since what I am doing is so unusual in Thailand I don't have my hopes up. All I have seen thus far is the small gauge, flexible hose used everywhere for connecting a single tank to a single fixture right next to it. I am not even sure such a hose would have enough gas carrying capacity to run all fixtures at once and located some greater distances away.

I know what you are trying to achieve but the simpler solution is sometimes the best. A bit of thought is needed.

The standard plastic hose I have fitted has enough gas going through it to service many outlets so you shouldn't have a problem in that direction. 

You may find that your fixtures will only have connectors designed for a plastic pipe. I know mine are, check first. I think you will have to use more than 1 gas tank if your fixtures are a long way apart, even though it somewhat defeats the object.

If you really want something permanent (I'd still use separate bottles) then copper with flare fittings as used for aircon installation is your stuff.

Pipe and straight unions are easy from your A/C man. Tees, valves and hose barbs (to connect to the flexy) may be more difficult. 

There are professional gas fitters in Thailand. I have seen the booth at the Architect Expo in Bangkok. If the OP is near a Robinson Mall he might look in the hallway at how the gas pipes for the coupon restaurants are fitted out. The gas pipe seems impressive and perhaps the brands of the pipe fittings are easy for the OP to photograph. The OP might contact Lucky Flame in Bangkok or a regional office and see if they provide installation service. Major hotels and hospitals must hire professionals to install gas for cooking. 

Back when point of use water heaters were gas (and people died each year during cold season by closing windows) we had copper run from kitchen LPG to upstairs bathroom and worked fine for many years (until electric became available and replaced).  

Soft type L copper with flared connections will be a good choice I think. Originally I thought copper couldn't be used but digging deeper see that's only for natural gas. Copper is approved for LPG.  I calculated 3/4" diameter pipe is needed for my system. 

Does anyone know the details of the connector used on the LPG tanks here? Like what it is called, the thread type, and/or size? I want to have one of these exact connectors beside each fixture to plug into. 

Archived