2 q's about 800,000 baht for retirement visa extension

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

So far, so good.

... unless you get a Re-Entry Permit to keep your permitted-stay alive during that last 364 days, after the "enter before" date on the Visa has passed. 

So, after the expiration date ("enter before" date), the Visa is dead, but you can keep the last permitted-stay you got from that visa alive, with a re-entry permit. 

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/visa    Read the last bit of this information.  It relates to the extension bit.  They do the extension bit automatically as you enter Thailand before the 364 days concludes of the original O-A  M retirement visa (1st 12 months, opps 364 day period).  If you get this type of visa and it's your 1st experience in Thailand, in that 1st 12 months you can go and do as much site seeing as you like or go home for a while and return.  Once the 1st 12 months is concluded and your passport is stamped at the airport as you arrive to receive the extension, anytime after you leave Thailand on the extension you will have to apply for new retirement visa all over again from your own country, or you can do it in Thailand before you leave if you put the Bt800,000 in a Thai bank a/c. Don't have to go home if the same current rules about the Bt800,000 still apply.

Why Thailand doesn't just make it a 2 year Retirement Visa multi-entry or longer confounds me even if it cost more and I expect lots of others think that way also.   Malaysia Retirement Visa is Multi entry for 10 years. It does cost more.  Perhaps in the new release update, there may be some changes.  It took me a long time to fully(?) understand the details about obtaining your Retirement visa in your home country.  Next time it will only take me about 10 days as I have to do it by mail.  I still don't want to keep money in Thailand.

36 minutes ago, David Walden said:

They do the extension bit automatically as you enter Thailand before the 364 days concludes of the original O-A  M retirement visa (1st 12 months, opps 364 day period).

It is a new one year entry not an extension. Extension can only be applied for at an immigration office not on entry to the country.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2018 at 1:04 PM, khunPer said:

I think OP is asking for extension of stay based on retirement, and not a Visa, and in that case the funds need to be deposited in a Thai bank and matured for three month; i.e. have been in deposit for three month before applying for extension of stay, or before the date for extension of stay (can be different in some immigration offices).

The one before last time I moved money out and back in for three months, the immigration insisted I proved it originated from abroad as was a BB to BB internal transfer.

Easy enough as the bank did me a letter and and the immigration were dealing with lots of ‘visa helping companies’ at the time, last time they didn’t ask.

One of the guys on our development has virtually no funds here but seems to get away with using a visa service still, who I think transfer in and out on the same day but not certain.

3 hours ago, Patriot1066 said:

The one before last time I moved money out and back in for three months, the immigration insisted I proved it originated from abroad as was a BB to BB internal transfer.

Easy enough as the bank did me a letter and and the immigration were dealing with lots of ‘visa helping companies’ at the time, last time they didn’t ask.

One of the guys on our development has virtually no funds here but seems to get away with using a visa service still, who I think transfer in and out on the same day but not certain.

The deposit don't need to originate from abroad – you can shop around different banks for best long term fixed interest (talk from many years experience) – but if you use a Visa agent. the Immigration office might be suspicious.

In principal, all your retirement income can originate from Thailand, you could for example have invested your savings in Thailand, which could be wise to avoid currency exchange deviations, and live of the dividends...????

16 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The deposit don't need to originate from abroad – you can shop around different banks for best long term fixed interest (talk from many years experience) – but if you use a Visa agent. the Immigration office might be suspicious.

The agent applications get top priority and many requirements the rest of us must provide are skipped - including financials, TM-30, Pictures, and a Home-Visit.  That's what the fee (multiples of the 1900 Baht to immigration) pays for. 

The risk (very unlikely, though) is if the agent gets into trouble somehow (maybe another "client" visitor does something heinous), and you get pulled-down with them.  I suggest avoiding the risk.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The agent applications get top priority and many requirements the rest of us must provide are skipped - including financials, TM-30, Pictures, and a Home-Visit.  That's what the fee (multiples of the 1900 Baht to immigration) pays for. 

The risk (very unlikely, though) is if the agent gets into trouble somehow (maybe another "client" visitor does something heinous), and you get pulled-down with them.  I suggest avoiding the risk.

Is that called bribe or VIP-fee..?

On 1/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is a new one year entry not an extension. Extension can only be applied for at an immigration office not on entry to the country.

OK, Thank you I stand corrected.  It does have the same outcome.  If you arrive and pass through Thai Immigration 364 days after the date of issue of your O-A  M Visa after making 2/3/4/ trips overseas as I do, as you enter at immigration your passport will be stamped for you to stay in Thailand for an additional 364 days (not 365 days TIT). This now is a new "one-year entry whatever".  I've told the story a few times already   " I sent you a 5 page letter because I didn't have time to write you a one-page letter." To many long-winded pedantic in Thai immigration, however, progress seems to be making some headway.   "maybe" 

On 1/7/2019 at 1:20 AM, JDMCanuck said:

David, Joe and Jack , thank you so much for your knowledge!! I hope you don't mind but I may have some more questions once I review your answers a couple times to let it all sink in to this rather thick skull of mine. Much appreciated!

Don't worry I hope my answers to your question is of benefit to lots of others as well.  It took me 5 years to get a handle on "applying for your retirement visa in your home country"  anytime.

Years ago cash was the only way to live in thailand. Now I can use Credit Cards and I have several with no fee's and very good exchange rates. So paying for a transfer of cash and then withdrawing the cash to spend does not make much sense any longer. I use CC for Gas, Golf, nice restaurants, shopping, and medical. Still need the required 1K in some soi's......

Also this year I required open heart surgery and a pacemaker which was about 2 million baht, I have insurance that refunds that money but slowly. So have I met the 800K by spending 2Million at the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital or not?

I really hate the idea of going back to a cash only system. I seemed to piss away more money it being cash....