Chonburi Mueang/City - What's there to do/see?

MikD

Chonburi Mueang/City - What's there to do/see?

I thought about spending a week or so in Chonburi City because I have never been there before. Any ideas what's there?

I've read about Bang Saen beach close by, Central Shopping Center and Tesco, those basic malls. Some waterfall nearby, but what else? What is nice down there and something special for Mueang Chonburi? 

Also, any recent experience on taxi price from downtown BKK to Mueang Chonburi?

• Haha 2

On 12/25/2018 at 8:59 AM, KittenKong said:

Nothing.

Bang Saen beach is OK to drive around for an hour if you have never seen it. The highlight is a hill inhabited by a lot of evil monkeys.

Agreed, dont waste your time and effort. OP. Why on earth would you want to spend a week there is beyond me.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. So there's something to do and see anyway. I've been to LOS so many times that basic tourist attractions and cities won't interest much - atleast not enough for the whole trip, so I'd like to "waste" my time in some new "out of the radar" destinations also, but I'm not a fan of sitting in a bus for hours so, Chonburi feels like an option for the next trip. No need for 9-5 schedule, just something for each day.

So I guess:

Chonburi Muaeng; Central & Lotus, walking round and round, some food here and there, maybe a beer if I feel badass that day. Chonburi FC football game or two, would make nice souvenirs too, if they've got sizes.

Ang Sila; old market, fishers' stuff and boats

Bang Saen beach; maybe with a shoulder massage

Monkeys (might skip this) @ a "mountain", water filled quarry with surrounding "white hills". A socializing phone app try or two.

Any other ideas, please!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, MikD said:

Thanks for the replies. So there's something to do and see anyway. I've been to LOS so many times that basic tourist attractions and cities won't interest much - atleast not enough for the whole trip, so I'd like to "waste" my time in some new "out of the radar" destinations also, but I'm not a fan of sitting in a bus for hours so, Chonburi feels like an option for the next trip. No need for 9-5 schedule, just something for each day.

So I guess:

Chonburi Muaeng; Central & Lotus, walking round and round, some food here and there, maybe a beer if I feel badass that day. Chonburi FC football game or two, would make nice souvenirs too, if they've got sizes.

Ang Sila; old market, fishers' stuff and boats

Bang Saen beach; maybe with a shoulder massage

Monkeys (might skip this) @ a "mountain", water filled quarry with surrounding "white hills". A socializing phone app try or two.

Any other ideas, please!

I have lived on the outskirts for about 10 years and as said it is a commercial town rather than a tourist area. A lot depends on what interests you and having your own transport. If you are into markets there are a couple of very large ones here. There is a new one that opens on a Saturday night just as the road coming into the city splits off to the bypass. Near the entrance in from the bypass is a beer shop, good food and reasonable beer, 75 for a large Chang. There is a large stage over in the other corner but I think we have left before the music has started. The other large market that is on Friday night is out on the road to the FC ground, that is an old style market with a large area just like a car boot sale with all sorts of second hand junk.

Most of the bars and restaurants with music are along that road, there is a very good BBQ type restaurant on the left hand side about half way out to Ang Sila, that also has live music after 7pm. 

Carry on along that road to the T junction and turn right  and not far up on the left there is a Tawandang, part of the German brewery chain from BKK.

There is not a great deal to see in Chonburi but if you drive around the old part of the town and along the front it is quite interesting. They have now built a road that goes from the main seafront out to sea and back on land near the old market I mentioned. It runs offshore past the mangroves.

On the road from Ang Sila to Bang Saen is a magnificent Chinese Temple that is well worth a visit and there are wall to wall seafood restaurants on that part of the road. Bang Saen is very nice with a large beach area and most of what is available can be seen on the website. I would suggest you split the time between the two, Enjoy the trip.

Not exactly Chonburi city but:

- Bang Saen beach (reasonable beach but can't compare it to Hua Hin or Saikeaw navy beach near Bang Saray/Sattahip)

- Koh Sichang (never been there but should be good)

- Khao Kheow open zoo (quite nice)

- Tiger zoo (disappointing)

Don't know about any waterfall but this kind of sums it up for things to go between Siracha and Chonburi

• Sad 1

On 12/26/2018 at 10:08 AM, Guderian said:

Not much in the city itself, but not far away there's enough things to see to keep you occupied for a day, but definitely not a week. None of them will ever make World Heritage Site status though. Try the Chonburi Grand Canyon and Snow Mountain.

http://www.doseoflife.com/day-trip-to-chonburi/

Never knew about this, is there a way to go down there and swim in the lake besides jumping off a cliff?

Edited by dennis123

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

No one should ever visit attractions that use animals in Thailand, with the possibly exception of bona fide elephant sanctuaries where no "shows" are held.

Animals are not treated well here and to frequent these attractions merely condones and encourages ill treatment.

+1.

No one should ever visit attractions that use animals in Thailand, with the possibly exception of bona fide elephant sanctuaries where no "shows" are held.
Animals are not treated well here and to frequent these attractions merely condones and encourages ill treatment.
Its an open zoo so the animals run free,always look healthy and well fed when we go

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Its an open zoo so the animals run free,always look healthy and well fed when we go

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not a huge fan of the tiger zoo but Khao Keow is probably one of the best zoos in Thailand where the animals have lots of space so I don't really understand Kits comment. Guess he/she has never been there.

• Like 1

"Animals are not ours"

"13 Times Zoos Were Bad for Animals"

https://www.peta.org/features/zoo-animal-abuse/

"Zoos and Other Captive-Animal Displays"

"...even the best artificial environments can’t come close to matching the space, diversity, and freedom that animals want and need."

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/zoos-pseudo-sanctuaries/

"Zoos: Pitiful Prisons"

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/animals-used-entertainment-factsheets/zoos-pitiful-prisons/

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I  certainly have not been there and never will.

I was making a general comment about all so-called attractions in Thailand that use animals, and I stand by it.

I suppose that explains a lot of your comments on this forum, all based on hunches and guesses.

7 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

"Animals are not ours"

"13 Times Zoos Were Bad for Animals"

https://www.peta.org/features/zoo-animal-abuse/

"Zoos and Other Captive-Animal Displays"

"...even the best artificial environments can’t come close to matching the space, diversity, and freedom that animals want and need."

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/zoos-pseudo-sanctuaries/

"Zoos: Pitiful Prisons"

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/animals-used-entertainment-factsheets/zoos-pitiful-prisons/

I suppose Peta is also against having pets? And while we're at it let's all become vegan, otherwise it's kind of hypocritical. Animals in slaughterhouses are fine but not in the zoo ????????????

Edited by dennis123
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, dennis123 said:

I suppose that explains a lot of your comments on this forum, all based on hunches and guesses.

Hardly. I have no personal experience of Soi 9 Police Station either (and hopefully never will have), but that doesn't stop me from knowing that it is a sh*thole to be avoided, even if that knowledge is only based on common-sense and the first-hand experiences of drunk drivers and other law-breakers.

I dont need to climb Everest to know that it's cold up there, either.

• Like 2