Prayut not qualified to helm Asean [Editorial]

webfact

12 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Would be a valid point if there were an effective, prosperous democracy ruthlessly devoured by an authoritarian usurper. Such things had happened in history, indeed, but I'm not sure if it is the case with Thailand.

Ah, the old anti-Thaksin line.

In a way it is rather quaint that there are still a few such posters about endlessly repeating themselves as I am a sentimentalist at heart.

How many military coups/attempted coups before Thaksin?

Hmm..let us see..

137x9

divide by 3..

add the square root of authoritarianism..

Multiply by 4 squadrons of tanks..

Shall we get back to the current war hero and his fitness to manage anything?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Not really when the perpetrators actually admitted and threw a military party after the coup. Just when I thought you on to something; you really is clueless. 

I can see your point but it doesn't appear convincing. What better option did they have than a party?

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Shall we get back to the current war hero and his fitness to manage anything?

I can see a lot of slamming on P but really cannot see where he is decidedly wrong/incompetent. Is Thailand currently in shambles? Are there tanks in the streets or what? 

23 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Don't feed the troll

Well, Eric might be many things, but in my opinion he isn't a troll. In my opinion, he could teach many people quite a lot, so you might be well-advised to read what he writes quite carefully.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Prayuth isn't qualified to run a corner shop... (imho of course).

OK, may I ask, what is your analysis arriving to this conclusion? What exactly did he do to demonstrate this kind of incompetence?

[Moderators block me if it is trolling. I think I'm trying to understand, if I can]

1 minute ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

OK, may I ask, what is your analysis arriving to this conclusion? What exactly did he do to demonstrate this kind of incompetence?

[Moderators block me if it is trolling. I think I'm trying to understand, if I can]

Allow me to help you. If I see clouds quickly gathering and closely followed by rain, I infer the two things are linked. If I see people throwing banana skins at reporters rather than running the country, and then observe the country is ailing, I infer the two things are linked.

Capice? It's called learning from experience.

But I'm secretly a great admirer of his. At least I will be as soon as they finish the lobotomy.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

If I see people throwing banana skins at reporters rather than running the country

Thanks a lot now I'm starting to get it. Never seen banana skins being thrown at reporters. Can you please guide me to the source of this story?

Oh, now I've found and seen it. Can understand what is behind your attitude.

Hope I didn't deeply offend anyone questioning their stance.

Edited by MaksimMislavsky
update

8 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Thanks a lot now I'm starting to get it. Never seen banana skins being thrown at reporters. Can you please guide me to the source of this story?

It was all the news a couple of years ago. Google is your friend. He also tickled another reporter behind the ear. The man's a moron who says he can make Thailand a developed country in 10 years and Thai a Lingua Franca in 30 years.

The only reason he's the unelected Prime Minister of Thailand, is he's the one who said 'yes' when Prem came-a-lookin for coup-makers. So there you go. His main qualification is he knows how to brown-nose. No banana skin for Prem or the big guy, just a sloppy wet kiss.

Sorry to all the Prayuth fans out there.

Both of them.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Well, Eric might be many things, but in my opinion he isn't a troll. In my opinion, he could teach many people quite a lot, so you might be well-advised to read what he writes quite carefully.

Err..twilight..????

Saminoz was not referring to Eric the trenchant reporter of all things new and all things blue...

You have to look under bridges if you want to find a troll..

13 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Oh, now I've found and seen it. Can understand what is behind your attitude.

Hope I didn't deeply offend anyone questioning their stance.

Go ahead and criticise, if the criticism has merit it will be noted. It's only words. Only a fool is afraid of polite criticism.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Err..twilight..????

Saminoz was not referring to Eric the trenchant reporter of all things new and all things blue...

You have to look under bridges if you want to find a troll..

Noted, and yes, you're right but then you often are, or so I've found.

Oops.

A couple of years back the 'chairmanship' of ASEAN, was fiercely debated amongst scholars, and the media, in member countries.

Wasn't Myanmar refused chairmanship of the region because it was a military dictatorship? Is it not in ASEAN's own rules that the chairman must be elected?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Go ahead and criticise,

OK, if you please.

1 hour ago, HalfLight said:

people throwing banana skins at reporters

this is one perfectly valid and those people acted outrageously, indeed. It was even not just a skin, rather, a half-eaten banana inside its skin. Truly despicable!

then observe the country is ailing

nevertheless, this one is disputable. It was probably more ailing before the banana, rather than "then". 

but still 

47 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

The only reason he's the unelected Prime Minister of Thailand, is he's the one who said 'yes' when Prem came-a-lookin for coup-makers. So there you go. His main qualification is he knows how to brown-nose. No banana skin for Prem or the big guy, just a sloppy wet kiss.

this one is insightful. Thank you for your time and patience.

Edited by MaksimMislavsky
typo

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut not qualified to helm Asean

Not qualified to help ASEAN . . . he's proved, time and again, that he's not even qualified to get three or more words that make sense out of his mouth.

• Like 1

YOU might be well advised to follow the thread properly!

I was referring to https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/profile/123029-maksimmislavsky/ being the troll, not Eric, who I know is a staunch chap and who understood to whom I was referring!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A couple of years back the 'chairmanship' of ASEAN, was fiercely debated amongst scholars, and the media, in member countries.

Wasn't Myanmar refused chairmanship of the region because it was a military dictatorship? Is it not in ASEAN's own rules that the chairman must be elected?

One might get caught up in the trivial debate regarding worthiness of an ASEAN Chair and whatnot.

Some might question the reasoning of the regional body and integral existence. 

Some might ask what's wrong with the picture from the start.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, saminoz said:

YOU might be well advised to follow the thread properly!

I was referring to https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/profile/123029-maksimmislavsky/ being the troll, not Eric, who I know is a staunch chap and who understood to whom I was referring!!

Please read the thread properly. this was pointed out by Ulysses (sorry, Odysseus), and I concurred, and (sort of) apologised.

Are you always this slow?

13 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

One might get caught up in the trivial debate regarding worthiness of an ASEAN Chair and whatnot.

Some might question the reasoning of the regional body and integral existence. 

Some might ask what's wrong with the picture from the start.

And some would be right to do so.

Nothing whatever to do with USA or China though, that's fer sure. No proxy politics here. Unless Thailand says so.

3 hours ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

So, even the very relevance of Asean is questionable, according to the OP.

While Thailand's primary concern, rather, is peace, cohesion, and stability. It had seen years of mayhem before Prayut, and who knows how long will it take before it slides back into the same sort of troubles once "democracy" prevails...

The army and police failed to do their job.  The courts failed at due process.  Impeachment came after the coup.  Had the institutions not failed, Thailand would be a better place than it is today.  Democracy will never flourish if the army keeps butting in.   Let them fail until they get it right. 

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty."  Thomas Jefferson.  The current leader of Thailand is the poster child for timid.

Would love to hear eloquent prose espousing the virtue of dismantling participatory government, attitude adjustment and the suspending free speech.  

The junta leadership will impress one or two of the ASEAN states.  The rest will just roll their eyes.   

Edited by yellowboat

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

And some would be right to do so.

Nothing whatever to do with USA or China though, that's fer sure. No proxy politics here. Unless Thailand says so.

Indeed.

Remembering why ASEAN was created to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The army and police failed to do their job.  The courts failed at due process.  Impeachment came after the coup.  Had the institutions not failed, Thailand would be a better place than it is today.  Democracy will never flourish of the army keeps butting in.   Let them fail until they get it right. 

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty."  Thomas Jefferson.  The current leader of Thailand is the poster child for timid.

Would love to hear eloquent prose espousing the virtue of dismantling participatory government, attitude adjustment and the suspending free speech.  

Some prefer comparative empire building references.....

• Like 1