I recently entered Thailand from Laos and was allowed to stay for 30 days without visa. Can I do it one more time?

Hello,

(Please note: this question is similar to the other one I asked earlier today but it is not the same question. This one is about getting another visa free stay, not a visa).

I haven't been in Thailand for a few years. I recently entered the country visa free from Laos (land crossing) and was allowed to stay in Thailand for 30 days.

Can I cross the border to Laos and come back to Thailand the same day and get another 30 days? I have not previously received more than one visa free stay in Thailand this year and there are no Thai visas in my current passport.

(It is a Swedish passport).

Vesa

Edited by GoGet

You could get a 30 day extension of your 30 day visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

No problem to get another 30 day visa exempt entry since you have not done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could get a 30 day extension of your 30 day visa exempt entry at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

No problem to get another 30 day visa exempt entry since you have not done 2 of them at a land border crossing this year.

I am currently pretty close to the Nong Khai/Vientiane border so if possible I would rather consider crossing the border and coming back if it would only cost me the bus tickets. Is it possible in this scenario?

15 minutes ago, GoGet said:

Can I cross the border to Laos and come back to Thailand the same day and get another 30 days?

Yes if it's only your second in 2018. The count will reset on January 1st and you will be eligible for two visa exempt entries in 2019.

Edited by elviajero

7 minutes ago, GoGet said:

I am currently pretty close to the Nong Khai/Vientiane border so if possible I would rather consider crossing the border and coming back if it would only cost me the bus tickets. Is it possible in this scenario?

Depending on your nationality you would also need to pay for a Laos visa.

We are allowed two land entries using visa exemption per calendar year. So as long as you haven't had two in 2018, you can use visa exemption.

However, if you have a long recent history of 'tourism' or are doing a back to back entries, they could question you or deny (unlikely) entry even if you haven't had two.

Edited by elviajero

I'm not going to pretend I know the answer for the border crossing in question.  But I do suggest having your documents and traveling cash in order when you do try to cross, just to reduce the pretense for denying entry on a whim.  You may want to get some input on the specific requirements, as well as the likelihood.

Oh, and being an old fuddy duddy, I also suggest dressing and behaving respectfully.  It shouldn't make a difference, but I often shudder at the dress and behavior of others in the immigration queue.  That guy (or gal) in the front of the line holds a lot of quite arbitrary power over your near term future...

Edited by impulse

You're not going to save much money but as you're close to the border you could just do it and then later on a 30-day extension, otherwise you might end up totally elsewhere in Thailand and have to do another run farther away for your next 30 days. Nong Khai is probably the easiest border of all.

As highlighted in a previous post, there is a rule barring you from departing and re-entering Thailand the same day, even with a valid Thai visa. I know this for a fact!!. However, as also posted, Nong Khai tends to be lax in its general approach to entry, save for the 2 x visa exempt entries per calendar year rule.

5 minutes ago, CelticTam said:

As highlighted in a previous post, there is a rule barring you from departing and re-entering Thailand the same day, even with a valid Thai visa. I know this for a fact!!.

There is no such rule. That has been discussed many times.

If you think you know it is a fact please post some official document stating there is one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CelticTam said:

As highlighted in a previous post, there is a rule barring you from departing and re-entering Thailand the same day, even with a valid Thai visa. I know this for a fact!!.

Much of these myths originate from the disinformation spread by a few dishonest immigration entry-points, which are then repeated uncritically (often even making up various justifications for the non-existent laws/rules).  Currently, the only locations where this fake-rule is enforced are:

If leaving/returning same day to get a new Visa-Exempt entry, some entry-points in Malaysia will claim a non-existent rule exists that you must stay out.  They are lying, but there is nothing one can do but comply or avoid them.  Same-day returns with Multiple-Entry Visas have not been reported as problematic - though a few reports involved showing the 20K Baht in cash (not specific to same-day return, though).

If leaving/returning same day at the Poipet/Aranya crossing - either Visa Exempt or with a Multiple-Entry Visa, one could have trouble.  But one might also have trouble the next day, or week, or month - as this entry point is known as the worst when it comes to lying about the laws/rules concerning legal-entry, and giving people official "denied entry" stamps out of spite.

At several airports, fake laws/rules are enforced regarding "time in country," but not specific to "same day returns."

At all other land-crossings, no fake laws or rules have been reported being enforced in recent years.

Crossing at Vientiane Freindship Bridge? No problem in out wasn’t 

a problem when I had to do a visa run two years ago. 

Maybe the poster is thinking of Cambodia? Not sure which country  but recall reading can’t in and out the same day.  

Laos is not a problem 

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Maybe the poster is thinking of Cambodia? Not sure which country  but recall reading can’t in and out the same day.  

Cambodia does have a law on the books about this, but in reverse - you cannot enter and then leave on the same day - applies everywhere but the airport in PP. 

It only "works" to the extent that it is a way to take 300 baht or so from those who bypass it, though.  See, in Cambodia, they want you to stay and keep spending money, which is why they are delighted if you leave and return on the same day.