Prem advises Prayut to befriend enemies, critics

webfact

Prem advises Prayut to befriend enemies, critics

By THE NATION

8df5e2ef10396bfb10888398b6b0c07d.jpeg

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha leads Cabinet members and military commanders to offer New Year wishes to Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda at the latter’s Sisao Thewet residence on Thursday.

THE PRIVY Council president on Thursday advised the junta chief to treat his critics and political opponents as friends – a move that he said would make his time in power smoother.

4d69331ea805cb74f92a70217ca9d0a3.jpeg

Retired General Prem Tinsulanonda also praised Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha for his “strong determination to make this country peaceful and happy, and make Thai people richer”.

The chief royal adviser made these remarks while receiving Prayut and members of his Cabinet at his Sisao Thewet residence.

Prayut, who also heads the ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO), led a group of key Cabinet members and commanders of the Armed Forces to offer New Year wishes to the elder statesman. In response, Prem gave his blessings and shared his wisdom with the visitors. 

“The prime minister should view the opposition and people who disagree with him as friends. Do not see them as enemies. It’s no use that way,” Prem said.

11e8d67627998472adbfa1d2eb44f2e9.jpeg

“Disagreement is necessary and unavoidable. I want the prime minister to behave like this: I disagree with you, but I can be your friend.

“This way, things will go smoothly. I would like the prime minister to remember this. It may prove useful for you. It worked for me,” he added.

Prem, 98, served as an unelected head of government from May 1979 to August 1986. The former Army chief and Armed Forces supreme commander is still considered a powerful figure in Thailand, despite holding no political or government positions.

Prayut responded to Prem’s advice by saying he befriended everybody. “I don’t see anyone as an enemy,” he added. 

The prime minister later had a private five-minute chat with Prem in the living room, and as he was leaving, he told reporters gathered outside: “I am friendly”.

The media had to undergo tight security checks before they could enter the compound to cover the event.

Among the Cabinet members joining the prime minister on the trip were Deputy Premier General Prawit Wongsuwan, Interior Minister General Anupong Paochinda and Deputy Prime Minister General Chatchai Sarikulya.

6d5d7671cc7660568826cc8007a6ea2a.jpeg

The premier also lauded the elder statesman, saying his government was inspired by Prem’s honesty, patience and loyalty. 

“We will continue sticking to the good examples that you have set and are still setting,” he added.

5b31f3e4a53b468adeb520cc3c06f464.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30361258

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-28
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Prem, 98, served as an unelected head of government from May 1979 to August 1986.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The former Army chief and Armed Forces supreme commander is still considered a powerful figure in Thailand, despite holding no political or government positions.

Best i keep my gob shut and my opinion to myself on this one or i could get in lots of trubbs...

Edit

Lets just say this guy and ALL HIS ILK have been part of the problem all along rather than any solution....

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

THE PRIVY Council president on Thursday advised the junta chief to treat his critics and political opponents as friends 

Says the man who ******** two *****! ????

Edited by candide
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Well he certainly made some Thai people richer and happier. Two years ago the elite filthy rich 1 % owned 58% of Thailand's wealth. Now they own 67%; meaning the wealth of the other 99% of Thai people has dropped from 42% to 33%. 

That sums it up in a nutshell what the PM thinks and cares about his fellow Thais. He has betrayed his people.

Considering the above, he has done exactly what he was told to do by his people. His people are not the Thai electorate, remember he came to power through the means of staging a coup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Considering the above, he has done exactly what he was told to do by his people. His people are not the Thai electorate, remember he came to power through the means of staging a coup. 

Indeed.

Remembering where he comes from can be quite helpful.

.....and this continuing cycle has existed forever. 

No one seems to connect the dots as such applies to the Thai Political Lakorn. 

Don't expect things to change. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Indeed.

Remembering where he comes from can be quite helpful.

.....and this continuing cycle has existed forever. 

No one seems to connect the dots as such applies to the Thai Political Lakorn. 

Don't expect things to change. 

Things will eventually change, as things have changed the world over, don't think that Thailand will be stuck in the dark ages forever. I suspect Prayuth's people want it to, but their time is running out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Things will eventually change, as things have changed the world over, don't think that Thailand will be stuck in the dark ages forever. I suspect Prayuth's people want it to, but their time is running out.

Any suspected change from a progressive angle won't be pretty.

Thai elite take their lessons from the much more corrupted democratic societies - not the mirror I might want to emulate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Any suspected change from a progressive angle won't be pretty.

Thai elite take their lessons from the much more corrupted democratic societies - not the mirror I might want to emulate.

there are precious few societies that are more corrupt than this one, precious few. I am in doubt if Cambodia qualifies for the job. I would say 50/50.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

there are precious few societies that are more corrupt than this one, precious few. I am in doubt if Cambodia qualifies for the job. I would say 50/50.

Most of the Western Democracies would certainly apply.

Things are never what they appear to be. 

....and most everything you know is wrong.