Brexit won't affect Spain-based Britons' rights, PM Sanchez says

rooster59

Brexit won't affect Spain-based Britons' rights, PM Sanchez says

800x800 (4).jpg

Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez holds a year-end news conference after the weekly cabinet meeting at Moncloa Palace in Madrid, Spain, December 28, 2018. REUTERS/Susana Vera

MADRID (Reuters) - Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez sought on Friday to reassure Britons living in Spain, saying their rights would remain unchanged after Britain's exit from the European Union.

The government was working on measures to ensure Spain-based Britons would keep their rights even if Britain crashed out of the EU without a deal on March 29. Measures were however conditional on Spaniards getting the same treatment in Britain, he added.

"Their rights will be preserved whatever the scenario," he told the prime minister's traditional end-of-year news conference.

Spain is the most popular European retirement destination for Britons and is home to around 300,000, mostly settled on the coast. Among foreign nationals, they are by far the biggest users of Spain's state-funded, universal health care system.

Sanchez said he would by February present a law outlining the rights of citizens in the respective countries that would also lay out measures to protect bilateral commercial relations.

Spanish flag-carrier Iberia risks losing its right to operate in the European Union after the European Commission said airlines falling below the 51 percent threshold for EU ownership will not be able to operate in Europe in the event of no deal.

Iberia is owned by International Airline Group (IAG), which is also the parent of British Airways.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-29
  • Like 1

Spain is the most popular European retirement destination for Britons and is home to around 300,000, mostly settled on the coast. Among foreign nationals, they are by far the biggest users of Spain's state-funded, universal health care system.

and you wonder why the britts like spain

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Spanish flag-carrier Iberia risks losing its right to operate in the European Union after the European Commission said airlines falling below the 51 percent threshold for EU ownership will not be able to operate in Europe in the event of no deal.

Presumably, the UK has said airlines falling below the 51% threshold for UK ownership will not be able to operate in the UK?

Trade wars are great!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Presumably, the UK has said airlines falling below the 51% threshold for UK ownership will not be able to operate in the UK?

Trade wars are great!

I don't think you understood the problem. Which wasn't stated as well as it could be. That's why we use multiple sources of information.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The government was working on measures to ensure Spain-based Britons would keep their rights even if Britain crashed out of the EU without a deal on March 29. Measures were however conditional on Spaniards getting the same treatment in Britain, he added.

Whilst the Withdrawal Agreement has yet to be officially agreed, at least by the UK, it does say that all rights will be reciprocal.

Questions and Answers – the rights of EU and UK citizens, as outlined in the Withdrawal Agreement

Of course, if the UK leaves with no deal then the rights of UK nationals in EU member states and vice versa will have to be individually negotiated.

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Whilst the Withdrawal Agreement has yet to be officially agreed, at least by the UK, it does say that all rights will be reciprocal.

Questions and Answers – the rights of EU and UK citizens, as outlined in the Withdrawal Agreement

Of course, if the UK leaves with no deal then the rights of UK nationals in EU member states and vice versa will have to be individually negotiated.

I suspect it will sort itself out...

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I would presume this to be included in the exit agreement. And if no agreement can be reached that it will be negotiated between EU and UK, not Spain and UK.

I therefore find this topic a strange one.

You hit the nail bang on, with the Schengen zone I doubt the Spanish could do a separate deal as they have open boarders with the rest of Europe, comes down to the very issue that seems to be blocking the current proposal,  (Ireland).

Funny how the Spanish have changed their tune, it was only a few weeks ago they were again making demands over Gibraltar, now they have just woken up to how much us Brits spend on our Spanish holidays... 

48 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I would presume this to be included in the exit agreement. And if no agreement can be reached that it will be negotiated between EU and UK, not Spain and UK.

EU allows foreign companies to fly to EU and then outside of EU (requires a bilateral deal). EU however doesn't allow foreign companies to fly between EU airports, which is EU's internal market.

Eg. No flight between Madrid and Barcelona or Madrid and Frankfurt. However flights between Madrid/Barcelona to London is perfectly ok route, provided if the aerospace deal has been made before March 29th.

I believe UK does the same, eg Tunis Airlines is not allowed to fly from London to Glasgow. That's a normal way to protect national airliners.

I suppose it also depends of what kind of deal is made wether UK owned Iberia is allowed to fly from Madrid to Bogota.

Generally Iberia can only hope EU offers a very generous deal, which includes Iberia's rights to fly inside EU market airsports, or the ownership of the company is transferred to Spain or other EU country.

Btw. Sorry, I was not sure which part of the deal you were talking about. I answered the Iberia issue, not to the British people's rights to stay in Spain. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

EU allows foreign companies to fly to EU and then outside of EU (requires a bilateral deal). EU however doesn't allow foreign companies to fly between EU airports, which is EU's internal market.

Eg. No flight between Madrid and Barcelona or Madrid and Frankfurt. However flights between Madrid/Barcelona to London is perfectly ok route, provided if the aerospace deal has been made before March 29th.

I believe UK does the same, eg Tunis Airlines is not allowed to fly from London to Glasgow. That's a normal way to protect national airliners.

I suppose it also depends of what kind of deal is made wether UK owned Iberia is allowed to fly from Madrid to Bogota.

Generally Iberia can only hope EU offers a very generous deal, which includes Iberia's rights to fly inside EU market airsports, or the ownership of the company is transferred to Spain or other EU country.

Btw. Sorry, I was not sure which part of the deal you were talking about. I answered the Iberia issue, not to the British people's rights to stay in Spain. 

Both are EU-UK matters, not Spain-UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

nothing can  be believed  anymore we are in a total  politcal   messup , 

where nothing is certain , and not believed,   

Edited by elliss

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, evadgib said:
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, 7by7 said:

I suspect it will sort itself out...

I will be generous and assume that despite his high position in the Conservative party, Deputy Chairman, Mr Cleverly has not read or been briefed on the document I linked to nor the actual proposed agreement. Otherwise he would know that his tweet you quoted is an out and out lie.

To sum up what the document says. UK nationals living in an EU member state before Brexit, and who move there during the transitional period, have the same rights there as EU nationals living in or moving to the UK. In each case they can remain and after 5 years residence apply for permanent residence. That is what is in the agreement. The only reason why that may not happen is if the UK Parliament rejects the agreement and we end up with no deal.

Of course, after the transition period and once the UK is completely out of the EU, UK nationals who wish to move to and reside in an EU, or EEA, member will have to comply with the same rules and procedures as all other non EU/EEA nationals; and vice versa. 

Maybe that is what Mr. Cleverly is whinging about. Maybe like many Brexiteers he wants to retain all the advantages of EU membership and only ditch the bits he doesn't like.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, Basil B said:

You hit the nail bang on, with the Schengen zone I doubt the Spanish could do a separate deal as they have open boarders with the rest of Europe, comes down to the very issue that seems to be blocking the current proposal,  (Ireland).

Funny how the Spanish have changed their tune, it was only a few weeks ago they were again making demands over Gibraltar, now they have just woken up to how much us Brits spend on our Spanish holidays... 

Just because they are in the shengen zone doesn’t mean each of the countries within it doesn’t run and apply their own immigration programme for non-eu nationals. 

7 hours ago, samran said:

Just because they are in the shengen zone doesn’t mean each of the countries within it doesn’t run and apply their own immigration programme for non-eu nationals. 

I am sure Shengen agreements will tie their hands on this matter, it is like a ship you have close all the portholes, only takes one open porthole to sink a ship...

IMHO the only way that the Spanish maybe able to override EU and Shengen rule maybe something like the use of International treaties on human rights.

24 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I am sure Shengen agreements will tie their hands on this matter, it is like a ship you have close all the portholes, only takes one open porthole to sink a ship...

IMHO the only way that the Spanish maybe able to override EU and Shengen rule maybe something like the use of International treaties on human rights.

Each EU country runs its own immigration policy for non EU nationals. Some are more liberal than others. Some focus heavily on skilled workers, others don't.

Easy to check and see (for example) that immigration rules for Germany are separate and different to Spain, France or anywhere else in the EU. 

8 minutes ago, samran said:

Each EU country runs its own immigration policy for non EU nationals. Some are more liberal than others. Some focus heavily on skilled workers, others don't.

Easy to check and see (for example) that immigration rules for Germany are separate and different to Spain, France or anywhere else in the EU. 

Yet Brexiteers cried they needed to leave the EU to make their own immigration rules. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

...which they'll be free to do shortly ????

They've been able to do it the entire time of the EU membership. Haven't you ever noticed the 'non-EU' citizens line at the airports?

Edited by samran